New Documentry: The Milk Documentry Trailer

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So, the bottom line of this documentary is that dairy's an evil liquid no one should be consuming? If so, I'm not buying it (no pun intended). I also dislike the way the movie is promoted - sounds and looks like yet another cheesy docu-drama.

Even though I think milk is a bad food for most people because of various reason the videos posted here contains some major errors. For one the breast cancer and dairy association has pretty much no scientific support from what I can see but they talk about it as if it was written in stone.

This is a meta-analysis founded by the dairy industry (I think) but it's still worth reading.

Dairy product consumption and the risk of breast cancer.

It has been suggested in some reports that dairy product consumption may increase the risk of breast cancer. This review gives a brief overview of the etiology of breast cancer and in particular the roles of fat, bovine growth hormone, insulin-like growth factor-1 and estrogens. Evidence from animal studies and epidemiology does not support a role for fat in the etiology of breast cancer. The daily intake of insulin-like growth factor-1 and biologically active estrogens from dairy products is minute in comparison to the daily endogenous secretion of these factors in women, whereas bovine growth hormone is biologically inactive in humans. On the other hand, milk contains rumenic acid, vaccenic acid, branched chain fatty acids, butyric acid, cysteine-rich whey proteins, calcium and vitamin D; components, which have the potential to help prevent breast cancer. Evidence from more than 40 case-control studies and 12 cohort studies does not support an association between dairy product consumption and the risk of breast cancer.

J Am Coll Nutr. 2005 Dec;24(6 Suppl):556S-68S

However there is a risk with a high calcium intake and it seems to be related to prostate cancer (in men obviously) and ovarian cancer (in women obviously). The thing about milk is that it's promoted as being really healthy when it's at best neutral for ones health (meaning not good nor bad). Calcium is important but there are better sources to get it according to me.

Another good Documentary about dairy products

http://www.dairydairyquitecontrary.com/dvd

Talking about the health concerns & the amount of pus in each glass of milk.

One cup of cow's milk cannot legally contain more than 50 MILLION pus cells.

That's 200 million pus cells per liter.

Im sure your all aware:

Pus in milk? A dairy cow filters ten-thousand quarts of blood through her udder each day and uses dead white blood cells (somatic cells) to manufacture milk. These dead cells are pus cells. Dairy scientists are aware that when one quart of milk is tainted with 400 million or more pus cells, some 35% of the milking cows in the herd are infected with mastitis. Infected udders discharge mucus, bacteria and blood into the milk that people and their children drink.

The number of pus cells in milk in each of America's 50 states can be found at this USDA site:

http://aipl.arsusda.gov/publish/dhi/current/sccrpt.htm

Good info about dairy & risks for Breast & prostate cancer

http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/dairy_prostate.html

http://www.pcrm.org/health/veginfo/dairy.html

I started watching that but it seemed to have a lot of dated and flat out wrong information. There is evidence that protein doesn't contribute to bone loss ( See Jack Norris, Vegan RD's blog ) contrary to the film. The film, via Robert Cohen ( very questionable credibility ) also stated that people only 28 grams of protein a day.

The citations in the film where 15 - 30 years old.

Yeah I thought the clips looked old, even though It only came out a year ago....

The Best Plant based Documentary I have seen is:

The Delicate Balance the Truth

http://adelicatebalance.com.au/

The interview scenes with Robert Cohen are from the early to mid 1990s. If you google on his name you will find that he has serious credibility issues both within and outside of the vegan community.

It is a shame, there is just not enough video material on this subject, which is why I am looking forward to the "Milk Documentary" being released this spring.

The potentially out of date issue of protein causing bone loss was bad, but acceptable. A potential vindication of protein just started so it is still arguable.

Cohen claiming that people only need 28 grams of protein and being able to hold a *gallon" of mucous in their systems is unacceptable. If I posted that in an omni forum ( the point of it, to convince people to stop milk ) people would rightfully zero in on those points and laugh me off the forum. Then they would conclude that vegans lie, make shit up and that the video was "PETA in disguise".

*Sigh* to outsiders we are all PETA.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw the reference on the t(arnation)-muscle site.

Information in Paediatrics International about oestrogens from cow milk:

Pediatrics International. 2009 May 22. [Epub ahead of print]

Exposure to exogenous estrogen through intake of commercial milk produced from pregnant cows.

Maruyama K, Oshima T, Ohyama K.

Interdisciplinary Graduate School of Medicine and Engineering, Department of Clinical Nursing and Pediatrics, University of Yamanashi, Yamanashi 409-3898, Japan.

Abstract BACKGROUND: Modern genetically improved dairy cows continue to lactate throughout almost the entire pregnancy. Therefore, recent commercial cow's milk contains large amounts of estrogens and progesterone. Among the exposure of prepubertal children to exogenous estrogens, we are particularly concerned with commercial milk produced from pregnant cows. We examined concentrations of serum and urine sex hormones after the intake of cow milk. METHODS: Subjects were seven male adults, six prepubertal children, and five female adults. Male adults and children drank 600 ml/m(2) of cow milk. Urine samples were collected one hour before the milk intake and 4 times every hour after the intake. In male adults, serum samples were obtained before and 15, 30, 45, 60, 90 and 120 minutes after the milk intake. Female adults took 500 ml of cow's milk every night for 21 days beginning the first day of the second menstruation. In three successive menstrual cycles, the day of ovulation was examined by an ovulation checker. RESULTS: After the intake of cow milk, serum E1(oestrone) and progesterone concentrations significantly increased, and serum LH (lutenising hormone), FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) and testosterone significantly decreased in male adults. Urine concentrations of E1, E2 (oestradiol), E3 (oestriol) and preganediol significantly increased in all adults and children. In 4 out of 5 females, ovulations occurred during the milk intake, and the timing of ovulation was similar among the 3 menstrual cycles. CONCLUSIONS: Our data on male adults and children indicate that estrogens in milk were absorbed, and gonadotropin secretion was suppressed, followed by a decrease in testosterone secretion. Sexual maturation of prepubertal children could be affected by the ordinary intake of cow milk.

PMID: 19496976

----------

Only the abstract but it makes you think.

A Chinese study in the 'Related Articles' on that page shows that 'traditional' Mongolian milk might have less oestrogen and progesterone than the usual milk in China.

Incidently, in case you don't know - and I didn't know until I knew - you can put the number after the PMID into the pubmed search box to find the abstract it refers to.

Even though I think milk is a bad food for most people because of various reason the videos posted here contains some major errors. For one the breast cancer and dairy association has pretty much no scientific support from what I can see but they talk about it as if it was written in stone.

http://beforewisdom.com/blog/?p=994

25 days later...Okay there's a book written by a journalist (read person without proper education in this field) who mostly tells about her own experience, she lacks knowledge of what dietary factors contribute to an increase in IGF-1 secretion and how the hormone affects us. She makes really weird clames and tells "funny" anecdotal stuff like "asian people thinks western people smell like sour milk" wow, fascinating. I was at a lecture held by a dietician from the insitution of preventive nutrition that talked a lot about this book and how it's "proof". When we got to discuss things it was clear that he also lacked proper understanding of the subject. I think you're better of reading the meta-analysis I posted if you want the "truth".