welcome home.

Fallen_Horse

If I break the law, or am accused of braking the law, people everywhere will expect me to be brought to justice. No?

I don't get your point of calling me out.

A thought that comes to mind though: is that if you don't break the law, you don't put yourself in the position to be exploited. No?

And if you do break the law and get caught, shouldn't you expect to suffer the consequense? No?

Kind of a catch 22 thingy. No?

who says he even did anything wrong really?

District Attorney?

the people saying he didn't were the ones with more money to protect.

Do you mean the people with interests were saying he did it?

The guilty say they didn't do it.

The innocent say they didn't do it.

I can't give my personal judgement call.

I don't know anything about the facts.

He claims he was being shot at first. The rap industry is a dangerous and exotic environment so it's not really a bad idea for a rapper to carry a gun.

Maybe we should be asking ourselves WHY hip-hop fell for it's own hype and eventually became as thugged-out as it desperately wanted to portray itself as. I think that, while there was a lot of good music coming out during the late 90s, there's a lot to be said about the genre going from storytelling to truly promoting the bullshit glamorous thug life in the real world, to where not only did the listeners fall for that crap, but plenty of the artists as well. We all know of enough high-profile people who aren't here any more because they fell into that trap, and I'm sure there are far more that we lost along the way that most of us will never know about. Good thing O'Shea Jackson eventually found his way into Disney flicks to avoid that kind of trouble

If you can't shoot someone for throwing money at you as a sign of disrespect, then by gosh, this isn't the America I grew up in

Ice Cube did not aim to glamorize violence with his early records. He was just drawing attention to problems in his community.

Shyne isn't shooting at someone for throwing money at him. He's being shot at by someone so he just shoots back randomly. I'd probably do the same shit.

Been a bit since I've put on some old NWA, but just to bring back a fine verse by Ice Cube that seems to be a tad more glorifying than simple storytelling:

"Straight outta Compton, crazy motherfucker named Ice Cube

From the gang called Niggaz With Attitudes

When I'm called off, I got a sawed off

Squeeze the trigger, and bodies are hauled off

You too, boy, if ya fuck with me

The police are gonna hafta come and get me

Off yo ass, that's how I'm goin out

For the punk motherfuckers that's showin out

Niggaz start to mumble, they wanna rumble

Mix em and cook em in a pot like gumbo

Goin off on a motherfucker like that

with a gat that's pointed at yo ass

So give it up smooth

Ain't no tellin when I'm down for a jack move

Here's a murder rap to keep yo dancin

with a crime record like Charles Manson

AK-47 is the tool

Don't make me act the motherfuckin fool

Me you can go toe to toe, no maybe

I'm knockin niggaz out tha box, daily

yo weekly, monthly and yearly

until them dumb motherfuckers see clearly

that I'm down with the capital C-P-T

Boy you can't fuck with me

So when I'm in your neighborhood, you better duck

Coz Ice Cube is crazy as fuck

As I leave, believe I'm stompin

but when I come back, boy, I'm comin straight outta Compton"

As far as the truth behind the Shyne situation, who knows what really went down. Maybe someone else did shoot first, maybe not. HOWEVER, the old saying rings true, don't do the crime if you can't do the time. Don't be stupid enough to shoot at someone if you aren't ready to go to jail for it, especially in a situation where you might never have the truth come out. I don't know why so many people in the rap game end up falling into the trap when they have so much to lose. Tupac was smart as hell, but fell into the same crap that he pushed lyrically to make his money. For a highly intelligent man who studied acting, poetry and ballet to end up going out the way he did, it's a sad thing, all for believing one's own hype and trying to live the same crap that everyone wants to escape.

Not saying that it's all gotta be squeaky-clean, but I think the guns and get-rich-or-die-trying stuff is so played out, if it never came back I wouldn't miss it.