VEGAN OMEGA 3 sources? (no flaxseed please)

I'm going to have knee surgery in a couple of weeks and the doctor is highly reccomending I take an omega 3 fish oil. Obviously I'd prefer a vegetarian source. I've read a few artcles on Flax Seed Vs. Fish Oil, and most of them agree that Flax Seed Oil has a low conversion rate to EPA and DHA. Is getting your daily dose of Omega 3's from Aglae sources as good as fish oil? If you know of any articles please point them my way. Also, any recommendation of reputible companies making omega 3 supplements from algae?

-daniel

Not that I acctually think you NEED LCn-3 fatty acids but he asked for them since the conversion from SC to LC is low/unknown. His doctor wants him to get LC and all of the products you guys mention is SCn-3 (ALA) just like flax.

Walnuts have a 1:7 ratio between n-3:n-6, hemp is around 1:3, avocado has little to no n-3, smart balance PB is PB + flax, no?

Chia seeds is a good source for n-3 but it's still only SC ALA which isn't what his doctor recommended.

Not that I acctually think you NEED LCn-3 fatty acids but he asked for them since the conversion from SC to LC is low/unknown. His doctor wants him to get LC and all of the products you guys mention is SCn-3 (ALA) just like flax.

Walnuts have a 1:7 ratio between n-3:n-6, hemp is around 1:3, avocado has little to no n-3, smart balance PB is PB + flax, no?

Chia seeds is a good source for n-3 but it's still only SC ALA which isn't what his doctor recommended.

I think his question is a litte more vague than your interpertation. But If it's like you say, I go with Tuc and algae, that's what I'm taking. Though in the past I would switch them up every other dose with some Veganessentials and http://www.v-pure.com/

To help lower the cost. which is what I am going to do again.

• 2 weeks later...
salba seeds best source found so far in nature. That beat even fish.

No. That's not true. Amounts are higher than fish but it's still ALA.

I just found out in plant foods KIWI fruit is high up there with other sources of OMEGA 3s

kiwifruit seeds contain a high content of essential fatty acids--more than 65% omega 3

Hmm, 100 grams of kiwi gives you about 1 gram of fat of which 42 mg is n-3 (246 mg is n-6). I don't even know what you mean by the number 65% to be honest but it's not accurate.