HALP! I plateaued!!

Um yeah self explanatory.

My squats have been the same for like.. 3 months or something. 90 Lbs, and I struggle at that weight. My form is great if I do lighter weight but for some reason I have a hard time balancing the weight evenly on both legs on the last few reps. I feel so wimpy

I can full ass to grass squat 40 or even 50 pounds but I can't seem to increase my weight!

Anyone got tips for meh?

I would try partials, especially at the level of the sticking point. And if one leg seems to be stronger, I would do some one-legged squats or step ups for that leg. Or I would use a heavier weight for a time and do fewer reps. Or I would use the rest-pause method for a time. What about greasing the groove? Or perhaps you need a rest or more rest. Or perhaps not.

I think my balance sucks cuz it's not always the same leg. Y'see I'll teeter to one side on the way up, and then try to counter balance it and teeter to the other side. I'm a very unbalanced gal.

I do that too, I'm very wobbly! I see dudes squatting without collars on the bar, and their plates don't move the least little bit. I know that if I tried that they'd be crashing all over the place.

i was just going to say, running shoes will make life wobbly.

switching from running shoes to vibram fivefingers was like, the best thing i ever did to improve my squats. i was able to shoot my weight up and maintain stability, whereas before i was all over the place with less weight.

I'm wearing the same shoes I use to run in.

The sole of a running shoe is made to absorb the force generated against the ground, which is great if you're running, not so great if you're squatting. A pair of chuck tailors or preferably some weightlifting shoes are great at directing the force generated towards moving the weight since they have an incompressible sole.

Edited by xCx

I've got one training partner who seems to like the five-fingers... but for a much less expensive, and probably better, option, squat in a flat-soled shoe like converse. Barefoot works OK as well, but isn't an option in a lot of gyms. Converse are perfect for squatting, and they make a big enough difference it's worth dropping $30 or so on a pair.

Some people get by ok squatting in running shoes, but the fact that they're "squishy" is not ideal for squatting, or any weight-bearing standing exercise (like deadlifts).

Marcina - any chance of getting a squat video up? Shoes might help, but it's a lot easier to give advice if I can see what's going on.

- Eric

I second/third/whatever that you definitely want shoes that will keep you stable for squatting.

Also, depending on your stance, you may want to have shoes that are more suitable. Narrow stance (shoulder width or less) squatters often prefer a firm-soled shoe with a slight heel to it. Wider stance squatters often stick with flat-soled shoes for stability. Not that this is law for either stance, but many people of each type tend to gravitate toward a preferred style of footwear.

And yes, running shoes are bad for squatting. Foam soles that squish out cause instability that will mess with your form, which is anything but good. Go with hard rubber soled sneakers, or, if you're really serious, a good pair of vegan olympic lifting shoes if you prefer a slight heel. Or, when all else fails, squat barefoot. It worked for Arnold, so it must not be that bad

Um yeah self explanatory.

My squats have been the same for like.. 3 months or something. 90 Lbs, and I struggle at that weight. My form is great if I do lighter weight but for some reason I have a hard time balancing the weight evenly on both legs on the last few reps. I feel so wimpy

I can full ass to grass squat 40 or even 50 pounds but I can't seem to increase my weight!

Anyone got tips for meh?

Hi Marcina.

First i need to say i didn't read all the other replies, sorry if i repeat advice.

1. You need to get a safe and firm stance on all reps. Experiment with a wider stance, or one more narrow, depending on how you squat atm. Maybe firm shoes with a flat sole can also help.

2. The best advice i can give when someone plateaus (someone that is really training hard) is: take a break. Take a week or two off from training, doing only light exercise oder sets. After the break, you'll come back stronger.

3. You didn't mention your training program, rep range, training frequency and such. Regardless, I recommend using the super squat method (take your 10rm and do 20 reps, no matter how long the set takes. Increse 5lbs every week) or the PITT method (very similar, only you take a very short break between reps from the start, increasing the length of the break towards the end of the set. The break is initially only 1-3 seconds, and should be no longer than 20 seconds in the end. It must be as short as possible and just so long to make one more rep possible. I have made insane progress with PITT after years of training).

Good luck with it!