the mostly before pic.

I put my intro up a while ago and said I'd get some "before" pics up. I was a little embarrassed at first, but I've been bouldering several times a week for almost 6 weeks and have finally started to see some results. Well, at least enough results to feel comfortable putting up a pic.

http://imgboot.com/images/brandon/bbbefore101409sm.jpg

I don't have any lower body shots... this is actually the only pose I could create and still photograph myself! I'm having arthroscopic surgery to repair the medial meniscus in my right knee anyhow, so I won't be able to work my legs much (aside from the exercises that my physical therapist needs me to do).

My goals are: huge shoulders & arms, define my chest, trim off all the excess fat (especially my "kidney fat" I call it, love-handles above and behind my hip-bones). My core needs a complete overhaul.

Any advice would be awesome.

Sorry to hear about the knee problems. Bouldering will help with all the goals you mention, including core strength. I've always found it an enjoyable workout. How often do you go? Working up to 3-4 times a week for two hours would be a good volume. Any advice beyond that would depend on the type of equipment you have access to. If you want core exercises beyond bouldering, V-ups,

and plank type exercise are excellent and require no equipment.

Sorry to hear about the knee problems. Bouldering will help with all the goals you mention, including core strength. I've always found it an enjoyable workout. How often do you go? Working up to 3-4 times a week for two hours would be a good volume. Any advice beyond that would depend on the type of equipment you have access to. If you want core exercises beyond bouldering, V-ups,

The knee is on the mend, the surgery went ok, but there were some complications and the surgeon had to go in the back of my knee which added a few weeks to the recovery time. I LOVE bouldering and unfortunately this means I won't we back on the wall for a while. I was going 3 times a week for 1 to 1.5 hours and I can attribute any visible definition in my shoulders and arms to climbing. Since I won't be climbing for several weeks I am planning to change my membership from the climbing gym to a weight lifting gym (probably 24Hr Fitness, here in Portland, OR). This way I'll have access to a variety of workout equipment. I ever-so-hate doing calisthenics, though I think that's something I'll need to get over to obtain the results I'm looking for.

Another person whose before pics look better than my after pics. This site can be depressing. LOL

Ha, thanks. This isn't my "true" before pic, I've been climbing for over a month and any visible muscle is due to that. Find something you like to do and do the heck out of it. That's the philosophy I've been operating under.

The knee is on the mend, the surgery went ok, but there were some complications and the surgeon had to go in the back of my knee which added a few weeks to the recovery time. I LOVE bouldering and unfortunately this means I won't we back on the wall for a while. I was going 3 times a week for 1 to 1.5 hours and I can attribute any visible definition in my shoulders and arms to climbing. Since I won't be climbing for several weeks I am planning to change my membership from the climbing gym to a weight lifting gym (probably 24Hr Fitness, here in Portland, OR). This way I'll have access to a variety of workout equipment. I ever-so-hate doing calisthenics, though I think that's something I'll need to get over to obtain the results I'm looking for.

Another person whose before pics look better than my after pics. This site can be depressing. LOL

Ha, thanks. This isn't my "true" before pic, I've been climbing for over a month and any visible muscle is due to that. Find something you like to do and do the heck out of it. That's the philosophy I've been operating under.

I like to beat people up. Just kidding:)

HA! Beating people up is a great way to keep in shape!! I trained in Muay Thai and Jiu Jitsu for a while, they're both full body workouts. Wrestling is probably the most intense all-around fighting workout there is. I still do almost all of my cardio to Bas Rutten's MMA workout audio tapes, all-around & Thai Boxing. Seriously, find some intense physical activity that you like to do and do the heck outta it! I just wish i could say, "I love using my own body's resistance as a work-out." Gah.