Vegetarian to -> Vegan

shawnb222

Hey guys!, this is my first post on this site.

First off, let me introduce myself.

My name is Shawn, I am currently 19, and I am currently attending a local college for a business course, living in Canada. I have been working out with weights for one year.

I have recently became vegetarian about 3 months ago, after consuming moderate meat. After elimintating meat, I still consumed dairy products, such as milk and whey protein isolate. Now as we speak, I plan on becoming vegan. I do have 10 pounds of egg white powder, 4 pounds of casein, and 4 pounds of whey left, out of 50 pounds of whey I ordered about 7 months ago.

I really want to become vegan, I do know which protein powders to get and which site to order them from, but I am just frustrated as to what I should do now. If I just, all the sudden, become vegan, I will have limited ability to consume enough protein that a weightlifter requires.

To get my vegan protein powders, I will have to re-ship the egg white powder and casein powder I ordered from this site called bodybuilding.com (I am not advertising), I will have to use the in-store credit they give me in return, and then I will have to order some vegan protein powders from the same site. The three protein powders I am interested in are: Pea Protein Isolate, Hemp Protein (50% Protein), and Brown Rice Protein (Likely Isolated). I am very confident that these 3 sources of high quality protein will allow me to get my protein requirements easily, with the aid of vegan whole foods such as whole grains, seeds, nuts, legumes, etc. In fact... Very Easily.

It's just the 2-3 week, possibly 4 week, wait, that is getting to my nerves, if I plan on becoming Vegan right now. I could possibly use some advice on how to get all my protein requirements without the aid of powders, for about 2-4 weeks. For post-workout, I plan on buying Soy Isolate from a health food store, because I will cut out my whey protein, and possibly giving the Whey to someone for free. So that one serving of Soy Isolate cuts out any soy products for the whole day, due to the fact that any more than 25 grams of soy protein a day can cause problems, (which I read in many articles).

It would be spectacular if I could get an experienced bodybuilding vegan to assist me in making this short 2-4 week transition!

(I really believe in veganism and I am going to choose that route no matter what. To help the environment, to help myself/ and others, and to help the quality of each and every animals quality of life.)

(PS. After consuming dairy products such as whey, milk, casein, cheese, it makes my stomach feels sick, and it really slows me down, plus it really lowers the amount of energy I have.)

Thanks!

I am thinking of visiting my local health food stores to check out their selection. I think I remember seeing rice protein in one of the stores. The price is more than likely more costly than online, but thats how it goes. I just can't wait till I have all of my protein powders, and all of my animal protein powders are out of my view!

they had Rice protein at my local store. It was NOW brand and it tasted like cottonballs. Anyone who has had cotton in their mouth at the dentists office knows what I mean. When I was down in florida, I tried Nutria or Nutrotiva or something like that but I could not find it up here in a store. That one was good. If it is NOW brand at your store and you dont like it, they let you return it. I think it is on their container label.

I will try to refrain from ordering rice protein from NOW then. There are many other rice protein brands that I can choose from. Such as Sun Warrior, or Source Naturals.

Does anybody know any good Canadian sites thta seels vegan products for great prices?

Update:

Just got some rice protein and hemp protein powder. I got a 370g bag of each, great price, about 13$ for hemp protein and 17$ for rice protein. It will do me till I get my larger 1 lb - 2.5 lb tubs of powder.

Also got some wheat-germ, did some research on it, looks like a gem. Full of nutrition, protein, minerals, vitamins, much much more. Only 1.99$ for the stuff. Has 19g protein, 10g fat, and about 45-49g of carbs per serving. Perfect for sum1 wanting to bulk, in the afternoon or for after workout meal. Anyone need cheap highly nutritious source of protein, heres your ansewer: Wheat Germ

Good luck all. Have a nice week-end.

Shawn B.

Thanks for the tip, Shawn. I think you'll find that a lot of the questions you have about protein have been answered in other parts of this forum. A search might turn up some good results. There are plenty of foods that are high in protein, aside from just the powered stuff.

As far as 'switching' to become Vegan. Don't feel like you have to do it right away. I think for me it was more of a gradual transition, and it still is some extent.

Welcome.