How do you lose the body fat?

Paige

I am a competitive fitness athlete. My vegan diet gives me incredible energy but I am just not losing the body fat. My diet is exclusively whole grains, fruits and vegetables, nothing else. Does anyone have any suggestions on dropping the body fat while keeping enery levels high on a whole foods diet?

Do you eat nuts and legumes? If you don't get enough fat in your diet, that can cause a myriad of health problems, including the clinging-on-to of body fat. If you're not consuming legumes, nor nuts, you probably aren't getting enough protein, either, since it seems that you do not consume protein powders.

Oh, and do you do your cardio on an empty stomach in the morning? That could be the problem, if so. Eat a banana or drink a glass of orange juice about a half hour before you exercise to fuel your tank, and your body will be more happy to burn the fat off.

30~45m cardio on an empty stomach first thing in the morning is actually one of the most effective ways to get rid of bodyfat. You'll be using just your fat as a primary source of energy, what wouldn't happen if you had eaten something before doing your cardio (sugar in the bloodstream > sugar in the muscles > fat) just be sure to have a good breakfast half an hour after you're finished, especially lots of vitamin C.

What Atomic Dream said about fats and protein is very important as well, if you're eating too much carbs, no caloric deficit or exercise in the world will make you ripped, you'll only lose lean mass.

30~45m cardio on an empty stomach first thing in the morning is actually one of the most effective ways to get rid of bodyfat. You'll be using just your fat as a primary source of energy, what wouldn't happen if you had eaten something before doing your cardio (sugar in the bloodstream > sugar in the muscles > fat) just be sure to have a good breakfast half an hour after you're finished, especially lots of vitamin C.

What Atomic Dream said about fats and protein is very important as well, if you're eating too much carbs, no caloric deficit or exercise in the world will make you ripped, you'll only lose lean mass.

Wrong.

Your body will catabolize muscle for fuel as well. Not only that, but doing cardio on an empty stomach is terrible for your health.

In the morning, your glycogen stores are empty. The body NEEDS to burn those carbohydrates for energy or it starts pulling amino acids from the muscles resulting in muscle wasting.

What happens when you try to drive a car with an empty tank? How far does it go?

Everyone is allowed to have their own opinions. This is what I have used for some time for both cutting and bulking with great results. Rafael Bracca is an acomplished brazilian bodybuilder with phds in P.E. and sports nutrition.

Badly translated from Portuguese, I probably invented tons of non-words on the process taken from http://www.npng.com.br/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=67505

What happens is that our body isn’t meant to use fat as a primary source of energy, it’s the other way around, fat is our last possible resource of energy for emergencies.

During normal cardio, your glycogen stores are high, so your body will use it as a primary source of energy, then the lean mass, and finally the awaited fat. For this to happen, are necessary at least 20min of cardio for your body to get to that stage, therefore counterproductive for us BBers, besides burning lean mass, it also fatigues the inferior members. So, with your organism using glycogen and lean mass energy sources let’s consider it inappropriate, or less productive, to use this cardio for one who wants to lose fat and minimize muscle loss! However, there are still people who insist on go running after eating a ton of carbs, with glycogen up to the skies!

Results? Lots of muscular catabolism and little fat loss. But then, what can be done to maximize fatloss and minimize muscular catabolism in therms of aerobic exercise? Well, this is a simple practice with no secrets, it’s cardio done early in the morning before breakfast.

Fasting? Are you crazy? Ain’t it gonna make me lose even more lean mass? Nahnah my friend, it’s just the opposite, by doing cardio on an empty stomach you end up manipulating your training in a way you force your body to utilize fat as a primary energy source, and better, with almost zero catabolism!

But how does this happen? The time when we wake up is a precious time of the day where we were a lot of time without food, and that makes a very favourable environment for fatloss, because with the cardio on these conditions, and low glycogen stores, your body will have no option other that going to fat for energy.

Lots of mediocre professionals, phds and masters have questioned me even in my phd, thinking it was an absurd for me to utilize this kind of practice with my clients and myself, saying it’s not efficient and also dangerous. For the fact that it never had scientific comprovation, they wouldn’t recommend anyone. Ok, now recently, my skinny coleagues, science has found out about the efficiency of this practice through a very detailed study I'd really like to read this study, does anyone have anything on it?, concluding it’s the bast way for fatloss with minimal lbm loss. Sometimes science has to prove what us BBers know since the 70’s.

So, back to what matters, many still ask themselves: “but ain’t the calories burned in the same rate that any other time of the day?” Yeah, sure, but no matter how many calories you spend, what matters is where they come from!

As soon as you wake up, drink 500ml of water to break the fast. If you want to, you can also have 200ml of black coffee (no sugar, OF COURSE…). And go do your cardio for 30 to 45 minutes.

Doing this 3 times a week on every other day has astonishing effects, noticeable on the very first weeks. To beginners, starting this practice suddenly may cause severe hypoglycemy, so I recommend doing it carefully and for smaller amounts of time, working your way up to the 30~45m. It’s also important to carry a sweet with you, if you feel dizzy or lightheaded it’s the hypo coming, and with the sweet the worry’s gone.

The exercise must be executed with moderated to low speed, that’s the only way your body will really tackle the fat I actually disagree a bit, friends of mine have used this method with guerilla cardio and had awesome results. And as your glycogen is low, your lean mass will be waving goodbye, so smart up! Getting home drink more 500ml of water, wait half an hour before you have breakfast, during this time you’ll still be burning the fat. That’s the time you need to shower and go peepee.

It’s also no good using this method if you have the habit of waking up in the night and hitting the fridge, so if your doing this, cut it off right now, and be sure you’re getting your 8~10h sleep.

As for your breakfast, go for protein and low gi carbs. No malto, as high gi would give you an insulin peak and stop lypolisys. I usually have also BCAAs, 0,5g of vitC and as B complex supplement.

Bear hug!

Rafael “Big Raffa” Bracca

Bodybuilder and Phd in P.E. and Sports Nutrition.

Wow! Thaks for all the great ideas. I just added 1-2 oz of nuts and started drinking a scoop of Gemma Pea Protein after workout. Trying to cut back on carbs. I have definetly had success with early morning cardio on an empty stomach in the past. I know that I am doing intense cardio for an hour 5 days a week without much luck, so starting tomorrow I am going to give early cardio on an empty stomach, and less of it, a try for a week and see how it goes. Thanks for all the great posts!!!!

Wrong.

Your body will catabolize muscle for fuel as well. Not only that, but doing cardio on an empty stomach is terrible for your health.

In the morning, your glycogen stores are empty. The body NEEDS to burn those carbohydrates for energy or it starts pulling amino acids from the muscles resulting in muscle wasting.

What happens when you try to drive a car with an empty tank? How far does it go?

Wrong.

Muscle breakdown does not occur from a light cardio session on a fasting stomach. There is as far as I know no science to back your claim up. The "terrible" health affects is improved insulin sensitivity. The most reasonable theory today is that when low or moderate intense cardio is done while insulin levels are really low the liver uses fatty acids as fuel and post-excersise ketosis occur. This is good for apetite control. To compare the human body with a car isn't very useful and the "tank" on the human is far from empty even if glycogen storages are. We have something called body fat you know.

Wrong.

Muscle breakdown does not occur from a light cardio session on a fasting stomach. There is as far as I know no science to back your claim up. The "terrible" health affects is improved insulin sensitivity. The most reasonable theory today is that when low or moderate intense cardio is done while insulin levels are really low the liver uses fatty acids as fuel and post-excersise ketosis occur. This is good for apetite control. To compare the human body with a car isn't very useful and the "tank" on the human is far from empty even if glycogen storages are. We have something called body fat you know.

Whoa, didn't know about post-exercise ketosis. Is it just temporary or it is possible to keep it going to skip the three day carb restriction before going on ketosis? It would make the UD2 even more efficient!

Wrong.

Wrong.

So this is a debate about how "qualified" everyone is to state their opinion?

And wouldn't light cardio (walking, light jogging) burn less energy hence limiting how much your exerting your body? I've always been advised to not do cardio on an empty stomach. I'm not saying you need to eat a big meal, but maybe a banana or a piece of toast is good.

The fact that I feel like shit if I run on an empty stomach is enough reason for me not to do it. I do much better if I've eaten something.

Edit to add: I'm sure light cardio is fine to do in the morning if you're keeping the duration to a minimum, but I wasn't talking about light cardio. I was talking regular cardio that most people do: Jogging/running.

And I know we have "body fat". I'm not an idiot, so don't treat me like one.

And I know we have "body fat". I'm not an idiot, so don't treat me like one.

I don't think that xjohanx treats you like an idiot. Don't worry.

I used to run in the morning on an emty stomach years ago. My experience was just great. The only thing is that I did run with a heart rate watch to watch my heart beat. Actually I am too lazy to get up early in the morning, but I can highly recommend it to everybody. And if you can't do it for any reason... just don't do it. There are other ways to loose body fat.

I feel great too running on an empty stomach, and it really helps me stay very lean while bulking. I even feel more energic doing it on a fast rather than after eating something, even if it's very low gi stuff.

Sometime ago I read an article about endurance training on low levels of glycogen, and I can say it's truth for me. Since I stopped using threadmills and started running in the morning, my endurance started developing quite a lot.

Next thing I wanna start watching as far as bodyfat goes is my cheating days on cutting. I usually bulk 3-4 months and then cut 2-3 weeks. I can eat anything but grilled tvp, sweet potatoes and dark green salad if I want to, but on saturdays I binge eat HARD.

This sunday it's my first 8k, I'm really pumped...

I want to say no but I don't understand your question at all.

And wouldn't light cardio (walking, light jogging) burn less energy hence limiting how much your exerting your body? I've always been advised to not do cardio on an empty stomach. I'm not saying you need to eat a big meal, but maybe a banana or a piece of toast is good.

No it doesn't burn less calories and if you choose to eat your banana you will still burn the same amount of calories but will loose some of the benefits.

The fact that I feel like shit if I run on an empty stomach is enough reason for me not to do it. I do much better if I've eaten something.

Yes but not enough to advice someone else not to do it, not in my opinion anyway.

Edit to add: I'm sure light cardio is fine to do in the morning if you're keeping the duration to a minimum, but I wasn't talking about light cardio. I was talking regular cardio that most people do: Jogging/running.

Both are totally fine. I lift weights on a fasting stomach and sometimes I run, both after 16+ hours of fasting.

If you decide to do cardio on an empty stomach, keep your workouts to 20-30 minutes to avoid burning your hard-earned muscles off. Try and do intervals.

No truth at all. Muscle breakdown doesn't occur that fast. And I'm not sure what you mean when you first write to only do light cardio and then recommend intervals.

how long and intense of a cardio session makes a difference in my workouts. I cant do long sessions of intense cardio with any kind of food digesting unless it's a couple mouthfuls of easily digestable hi gi carbs. i usually have to work on a relatively empty stomach or after a fast. i dont rly have a choice in the matter.

the best way to fuel your cardio sessions is whatever works for you personally to let you challenge yourself and improve.

No it doesn't burn less calories and if you choose to eat your banana you will still burn the same amount of calories but will loose some of the benefits.

I might just be misunderstanding this point, but heavy cardio (running/jogging) does burn more calories than light cardio (walking) regardless of how you measure. Jogging a mile burns more than walking a mile, and jogging for 30 minutes burns more than walking for 30 minutes. They're biomechanically different activities, and the caloric costs differ accordingly.

I agree with you overall, just wasn't sure about this point.

If you decide to do cardio on an empty stomach, keep your workouts to 20-30 minutes to avoid burning your hard-earned muscles off. Try and do intervals.

No truth at all. Muscle breakdown doesn't occur that fast. And I'm not sure what you mean when you first write to only do light cardio and then recommend intervals.

Well a minimal amount of muscle does get burned. You'll have normal protein turnover plus a tiny bit more, just because our bodies aren't 100% efficient. Nothing to worry about for light to moderate cardio, though.

And I'm with you on intervals. There's debate about it, because there's debate about everything, but seems logical that HIIT in the morning on an empty stomach would be counterproductive. With low glycogen and blood sugar and no time to break down fat to glucose, your body's going to be pulling energy from wherever it can.

I want to say no but I don't understand your question at all.

Yes but not enough to advice someone else not to do it, not in my opinion anyway.

Both are totally fine. I lift weights on a fasting stomach and sometimes I run, both after 16+ hours of fasting.

Not High Intensity Intervals. I mean walking, then jogging intervals. You'd think that if I started talking about light cardio I would mean light intervals right? There's more than just HIITs. Durrrrr

If I were to lift weights or do HIIITs on an empty stomach, I would pass out.

Not everyone can do ridiculous things like try to gain muscle with no food in their system.

Women also burn fat differently than men do. And by differently, I mean at a slower rate. I guess I need to talk in simpler terms since nobody seems to get what I'm saying.

Not High Intensity Intervals. I mean walking, then jogging intervals. You'd think that if I started talking about light cardio I would mean light intervals right? There's more than just HIITs. Durrrrr

If you meant light intervals, you should probably specify. "Intervals" without qualification means high-intensity. Just google "intervals exercise" or "intervals workout" and you'll see what I mean. This is the first I've ever seen it used to mean light-intensity.

I might just be misunderstanding this point, but heavy cardio (running/jogging) does burn more calories than light cardio (walking) regardless of how you measure. Jogging a mile burns more than walking a mile, and jogging for 30 minutes burns more than walking for 30 minutes. They're biomechanically different activities, and the caloric costs differ accordingly.

I simply meant that you will burn the same amount of calories if you eat breakfast or not when doing the same cardio.

Well a minimal amount of muscle does get burned.

Of course, but correct me if I'm wrong a muscle loss would occur even if you eat before...?

I guess I need to talk in simpler terms since nobody seems to get what I'm saying.

Maybe that's because it doesn't make any sense.

Well a minimal amount of muscle does get burned.

Of course, but correct me if I'm wrong a muscle loss would occur even if you eat before...?

I think the theory is that if you eat before, you have higher blood sugar and possibly glycogen reserves, so the cardio has to get through that fuel before it hits the muscle. Just based on your body's energy priorities, that's certainly true, but I don't think it makes any significant difference in muscle loss.

I'm just talking about normal protein turnover plus the small amount of muscle consumption that occurs during any exercise.