How do you lose the body fat?

Paige

I thought people would get it since I was talking about light cardio.

Well, I might just be dumb.

Whatever. My opinion still stands. I think doing cardio on an empty stomach isn't that great of an idea. I'm no expert, all I know is that I feel like shit when I do it.

And that's most important: whatever works for you. We're just talking in generalities and anecdotes here, since there's so little real scientific research that applies. It seems that morning cardio on an empty stomach works great for a lot of people, whether it's light or HIIT. Is that most people? I don't know. Do all experts recommend it? Nope. Is there a preponderance of evidence either way? No. Just like so many other things here, it's worth a try, but not guaranteed.

Okay because this topic has actually peaked my interest, I decided to talk to people who actually have careers in fitness.

They all told me that doing cardio on an empty stomach doesn't make you lose fat faster. Some people prefer to do it because they do cardio first thing in the morning right after they wake up. Most of the people who do this usually aren't hungry when they get up in the morning, so they eat AFTER their workout.

I was also told that if you do cardio when you're hungry, thinking it'll burn fat faster, that it's "Stupid".

Everyone's body is different though. I for one, don't even need to do cardio to lean out. I burn fat very quickly. Other people need to make more of an effort.

That is basically what we said all the time. You burn the same amount of calories if you walk on an empty stomach or with food in it or with glycogen stored or not etc.

The benefit from walks in a fasted state is that most people seem to raise their insulin sensitivity more than if you would do the same walk after having breakfast. Greater insulin sensitivity is a good thing for most people but it can really help people with type 2 diabetes.

This was never an argument about burning more or less calories, at least I never meant it to be and never made such a claim. This was about burning muscle and the faulty information that was given in this thread.

• 1 month later...

Well, I went ahead and tested this "cardio on an empty stomach theory". 4 days a week 30-40mins. HR 70-80%. This is what I found. It does not reduce body fat any more than doing cardio after eating. (sorry) However, it does help reduce appetite throughout the day. If you are hungry when you start that hunger goes away quickly and stays away. Cardio on an empty stomach is easier and energy levels are higher. Overall I found that my energy was better throughout the day and my workout was better when on an emply stomach. I will continue to do cardio on an empty stomach but I did not see that it gave me the results that some of the proponents had mentioned. Just my experience.

That's what I thought would happen.

Doing cardio on an empty stomach wouldn't burn more fat that eating beforehand.

I always thought that if i did cardio on an empty stomach that I would lose my hard-earned muscle. Someone told me this awhile ago.. A personal trainer no less so I believed it. Obviously she was wrong. It's too bad, cuz a lot of PTs give wrong info and people will believe it because well.. They're supposed to know what they're talking about.

I've learned more from arguing with Johan that by talking to so called "experts" lol!

I always get cramps when I run.. Probably because I used to always eat first.

Johan seems to be pretty good at cutting weight! so he seems to have it right!

Although I have to say the best rule is if it works for one it may not work for another. It all depends on biology and how your body will react to certain foods, certain excersizes and so on. I eat a lot of fats in my diet and I seem to loose the extra fat. Avocado is big and eating no cooked vegetables and raw fruits of course. Chickpeas are a staple food as well. Ezekiel breads heated at under 250 degrees Fahrenheit. I am doing well so far.

You will get a range of opinions but the truth is that you need to test things out yourself and be patient. Things don't happen overnight.

Keep searching and trying different ways. Peoples bodies inside are as different as people look different. We are very complex and one answer does not prove true to all of us.

I think doing cardio on an empty stomach isn't that great of an idea.
On the contrary, I think it is the best idea possible. If there's something in your stomach you have more risks to get cramps and also you have less energy to run since your body needs blood and energy while its digesting food. We're better when we can focus on one thing at a time. Would you be more efficient at lifting weights or lifting weights while eating ?

The food in the stomach does not give anything anyway, its only once its digested that the body can use it as energy, the body will use the glycogen in the muscles instead, from the last meal. All you need is the body and muscles (and a heart, soul, etc), that's the true energy. Food doesn't give strength, it is only the fuel, like a muscle car already got its horse powers in the engine.

Although I have to say the best rule is if it works for one it may not work for another. It all depends on biology and how your body will react to certain foods, certain excersizes and so on.

I half agree with this. The first sentence is backed 100% by me. Most people react physologically similar to the same kind of excersise but mentally it might be a different thing (like she mentions with curbing hunger). Training for most people isn't supposed to be about "the most optimal results" etc, it's supposed to be healthy. And the health benefits only come when excersising on a regular basis and a person won't do that if they're not having fun! Same goes with food, for instance I think green veggies and berries is really healthy (which it is) and most people would benefit health wise to eat it but if they for some reason hate spinach, kale etc and can't stand the sour taste of a blueberry of course they shouldn't eat it.

Anyways good post Rainra.