Missy's progress

So...my first fitness goal was to get down to my wedding weight, which I've accomplished by taking up running. Then I started to amp up my lifting and toning exercises. I'm starting to see a difference, which is nice, but not quite the definition that I'd like to see eventually. I'd like to get more biceps going, and feel like I'm doing bicep curls up the wazoo but not with dramatic results. Wondering if there's anything else I should be doing to gain definition without bulking up too, too much?

989247039_missysbbprogress.jpg.549b4b23d3a733713affeb127e9e6828.jpg

Thanks, lobsteriffic! I have been doing bench presses, but not as often as I could. I actually like them, so I'll add more of them back into my program. I do bicep curls during my modified squats, which accommodate some tendonitis in my knee. Was doing bent over rows but my neck/back's been bugging me (herniated disk) so I quit those. So many health quirks! But the good news is I'm feeling quite a bit better in my neck/back, so I can integrate the bent over rows again.

Really good tips/reminders. Trying to think of other compound lifts. Hmm...what are your favorites?

Hello Missy, sounds like you are doing great. I also love the website. Happy to see other women on here with the same interests and similar goals also. I wish I could get to a pool. Right now I have been doing body weight type exercises and I have started jogging again. I have been a vegan for a shorter time and I still am looking for recipes and menus. I am interested in what your daily menu is like. Ty Missy

Thanks, Robert! Means a lot coming from Mr. Veganbodybuilding himself.

Barb, thank YOU for the kind words. I love meeting other folks who are passionate about the same things. And congrats on your new veganism! I'd love to have you on board at Veganatheart.org, our free email coaching program for newbie vegans and people who consider themselves vegan at heart but not necessarily in practice. I send a daily tip for a month (including sample meal plans) and then send weekly missions thereafter. Feel free to read about how other people have found it helpful here: http://www.kindgreenplanet.org/programs/veganatheart/testimonials/

But let's see...today I've eaten steel cut oats with sweet cashew cream and stewed fruit for breakfast. Had some tofu jerky and a power bar to snack on. For lunch, I had some split pea soup using a super tasty, easy recipe I stumbled across last night: http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=21200.0 Had toasted rye bread with Earth Balance on the side. For dinner I'll probably have a bean burrito with veggies, cilantro, and Tofutti Sour Supreme. Oh, I also noshed on 2 pieces of ginger candy and a small handful of vegan chocolate chips (what can I say, I have a sweet tooth!)

Hope this is helpful!

Hmm, well I'm not sure on the knee/back/health problems, so I wouldn't know what to recommend exactly, but for compounds I really like things like squats, bench press, deadlifts, rows, military press, etc. Also lately I've been doing negative chin-ups (because I'm not strong enough to do real ones), those really give me a great workout. Hope this is at least a little bit helpful.

Thanks, L! Can you believe I had to youtube military presses and negative chin-ups? Embarrassing! The negative chin-ups look like a good option. Not sure my PT would sign off on the military press though. I'll talk to her and see what she says. Thanks again for the good ideas!