Over head squat flexibility

I started incorporating over head squats into my routine. I have quite tight hip flexors; it's taken quite a bit of work to be able to go below parallel on regular squats. I find with over heads my range of motion is reduced a LOT. It's not that I'm using too much weight, I've dropped that down. I even tried it at home with a broom and I was having the same problem. Is it just tight hip flexors and I should keep stretching or are there some other things I can do to help this problem? Thanks.

One quick question that might help to diagnose the problem of flexibility a bit -

How wide is your stance when doing them? The wider the stance, the more the hips will be affected. Typically, overhead squats are done with a narrower stance, feet at shoulder width or less, with a wide grip on the bar for better stability. I definitely do NOT feel comfortable with overhead squats if I have my feet in a wide stance - there's just something about the feel of the movement that seems to require a narrow stance to feel right about it.

Also, sometimes with overhead squats, it becomes a little less "natural" in the feeling of pushing the hips and butt back because of the balance factor, and this can throw things off a bit. This is where the wide grip is best, because narrow grip reduces stability and makes it easier to lose balance with keeping the bar fixed in the proper position. Make sure you've got the stability part down to a science for keeping the bar in place, and focus on pushing those hips back as you descend and that might help a bit with flexibility vs. thinking about just dropping straight down.

I'm sure this this image is of someone catching a snatch at the bottom position, but it's a great shot of how you'd ideally want to be at your bottom position:

http://www.crossfitfeelgood.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/overhead-squat.jpg

Hope this helps!

Thanks, that is helpful. I think my stance was too wide. I just tried it out (with no weight) with a narrower stance and I can at least get down to parallel, which I couldn't with a wider stance. I can't get as low as that picture even without weight, stupid hip flexors. I've been getting lazy lately with stretching them, I need to start doing that daily again.

They look painful just by looking at the pictue. I won't be able to do this dew to a shoulder injury. Ouch !

You probably already know this. But if you just started doing this exercise. It'll take you body about a week to adapt. If your hips are still hurting from this exercise, do an alternative