Al Gore Agrees That Going Vegetarian Helps The Environment

Vegan Joe

http://www.ecorazzi.com/2009/11/04/al-gore-agrees-that-going-vegetarian-helps-the-environment/

But stops short of saying he's headed in that direction.

Ever since Al Gore introduced his famous slideshow to the world and stood up as a leader in the fight against climate change, advocates of the vegetarian scene have urged the former Vice President to acknowledge the link between eating less meat and helping the environment. Yesterday, Gore finally jumped on board saying that reducing meat in one’s diet is “the responsible thing to do” when it comes to the fight on climate change.

Talking to ABC, Gore agreed with the UK’s Nicholas Stern that meat eaters have contributed greatly to increased global carbon emissions.”I’m not a vegetarian, but I have cut back sharply on the meat that I eat,” he said. “It’s absolutely correct that the growing meat intensity of diets around the world is one of the issues connected to this global crisis – not only because of the CO2 involved, but also ...

• 2 weeks later...

At least this proves Glen Beck - and the other anti GW republicans - wrong. He HAS changed his diet. He just hasn't mentioned it. I suspected it'd be because he knows it would turn people away. (you know the attitude: "You're not touching MY meat").

I agree with these comments under that article:

"He knows that calling for everyone to adopt a vegetarian diet is going to marginalize his efforts, as giving up meat is not an easy thing for Americans to even CONSIDER"

"Gore recognizes the difficulty of getting people to change their mindset. People have been conditioned to think of eating meat as normal, natural, and necessary"