10,000 Lux Light Box

Ryofire

I mentioned something earlier about light therapy and how it could help seasonal affective disorder. I was considering purchasing a 10,000 lux light box.

However I still have one question to ask. Do these light boxes produce UV radiaton? And when I use them should I put something with a minimum of SPF 15 on?

From

http://jacknorrisrd.com/?p=664

During the dead of winter, I have a vitamin D lamp that I sit in front of for about 10 minutes a day. Vitamin D2 supplements should be fine – I don’t think every vegan needs to run out and get a vitamin D lamp for the winter. I tend to suffer from (self-diagnosed) seasonal affective disorder, so I like the lamp. Until a year ago, I was living in Sacramento where there was plenty of sun throughout the year, but now that I live in Oakland, which can be a lot more cloudy, I have found that I need more light during the winter.

I believe the light spectrum is tuned as well, no?

What do you mean by 'tuned?' The intensity of the spectrum? Or the types of light within the spectrum?

The types of light within the spectrum. I thought they were supposed to mimic the sun.

Ah, I see what you mean. Yeah, I think most are tuned to keep the harmful UV rays rather low, but the good ones (UVB I think, not sure) at a decent level.

Thanks for the link to Jack Norris, Beforewisdom. Nice to know that he supports them.