Morning work out

kumar5

Hi,

So I'm trying working out before I go to work. I don't mind it, even loosing the sleep but I'm curious about my food.

What I did today was to drink a cup of soy milk and eat 6 almonds before going to the gym. Post work out, I drank my protein shake in the lockers. Then at home I had my breakfast. Is this ok? I'm trying to bulk up, if that matters.

Hi,

So I'm trying working out before I go to work. I don't mind it, even loosing the sleep but I'm curious about my food.

What I did today was to drink a cup of soy milk and eat 6 almonds before going to the gym. Post work out, I drank my protein shake in the lockers. Then at home I had my breakfast. Is this ok? I'm trying to bulk up, if that matters.

Hi Kumar,

I prefer to workout first thing in the morning on an empty stomach whether I am trying to build or cut. My body seem so to prefer not having to focus on digestion while asking it to work hard. I personally find I lift better that way.

Working out first thing in the morning is energizing to me and sets the tone well for the rest of the day.

Good luck with your program.

Dr. Debra

If you're trying to bulk up you want to eat more food, so how is working out on an empty stomach going to be beneficial?

When you're working out, your body recruits carbohydrates for fuel. I find that if I do not eat enough before a weight training session, I get shaky and I fatigue much faster. Protein plays an important role as well, but complex carbs are just as important!

After a workout, it's important to immediately replenish those depleted glycogen stores by consuming some simple carbs accompanied by protein for the recovery of muscle tissue.

A big part of your success in building muscle has to do with your diet! If you don't eat, your muscle has no food to grow! Remember this. I used to think my diet was fine until someone told me "hey, your diet sucks. Eat more." So I did, and it worked. Best advice I ever got.

if you feel fine by working out on an empty stomach, there's no reason why you shouldn't do it.

When you're working out, your body recruits carbohydrates for fuel. I find that if I do not eat enough before a weight training session, I get shaky and I fatigue much faster. Protein plays an important role as well, but complex carbs are just as important!

i disagree since i'm eating almost no carbs at all all day long and still have enogh energy to work out heavy.

After a workout, it's important to immediately replenish those depleted glycogen stores by consuming some simple carbs accompanied by protein for the recovery of muscle tissue.

if you're a strength athlete then this is true but as a bodybuilder the carbs after the work out are not that important.

If you're trying to bulk up you want to eat more food, so how is working out on an empty stomach going to be beneficial?

He can simply eat more calories after training.

Protein plays an important role as well, but complex carbs are just as important!

What do you mean? Dietary complex carbs?

It's only to important to consume carbs straight after a workout if you're going to train the same muscles again within 24 hours. Otherwise eat carbs whenever. Protein is important though. Also, if you do want to consume carbs straight afterwards there's nothing wrong with complex carbs.

if you're a strength athlete then this is true but as a bodybuilder the carbs after the work out are not that important.

How do you mean? Because of training frequency of the muscles or what?

no, all i meant was that filling up the glycogen stores is not the main thing a bodybuilder has to worry about.

He can simply eat more calories after training.

Protein plays an important role as well, but complex carbs are just as important!

What do you mean? Dietary complex carbs?

It's only to important to consume carbs straight after a workout if you're going to train the same muscles again within 24 hours. Otherwise eat carbs whenever. Protein is important though. Also, if you do want to consume carbs straight afterwards there's nothing wrong with complex carbs.

Since I'm retarded with the quote function I'm just gonna make a list! Lol!

1. I'm just going by what works for me. I feel weaksauce if I don't eat before a workout. I guess I should have mentioned this. I guess if someone can gain adequate muscle they can get away with working out with an empty stomach if it works for them. Personally, I think hard-gainers should eat before AND after, cuz they need as much food as they can get

2. I meant dietary carbs.

3. I'm just realizing that I've heard a LOT of conflicting information. I'm hearing one thing from other people and other stuff from other people.. It's hard to decide which advice I should follow. It makes it even harder giving advice because everything works differently depending on the person!

Johan, you are very knowledgeable. I'm wondering where you acquired your knowledge? I usually learn from other people.. Which isn't the best cuz I get a lot of stuff wrong that way!

I benefit the most from an empty stomach, morning workout. I still have masses of energy to do what I require for the particular workout from my previous day's food intake. Even after an exhausting weights or cardio session, I can very easily hold out for the half hour - 40 minutes until I shower and drive to work.

I start with fresh fruits and depending on how hungry I am a little later, some oats or toasted multigrain sourdough with grilled tomato, mushroom & spinach. If I feel the hunger for it, I will eat some seitan, not because of its high protein content, but that is what I want to eat.

It is nice and quiet at my gym in the mornings as well, so waiting for equipment is a non issue.

The above works perfectly for me.