starting a weight training programme to support running

Hi guys!

While I'm not new to weight training, I am fairly new to weight training to support my newly found interest: running. I've only been running for a couple of months, irregularly to be honest, and I tend to see how I feel when I'm running and then decide on how far I'll go. To me it makes no sense to force myself to run 4 miles, struggling n all, when I don't feel up to it, and stopping after 2 miles while I've got energy for another 2 is equally frustrating. What I do find is that my legs give up way before my head tells me it's time to finish So my train of thought is that I could do with a weight training programme, because 1) I've joined a gym that is going to open next week (a 24 hour one! How does working out at 3AM sound! ), 2) I like weight training and 3) I reckon that stronger legs (and the rest) will help my running.

Exercise wise, what I've thought out so far is:

Squats

Lunges

Seated row

Lat pulldown

Bench press

(weighed) sit ups

using free weights as much as possible. As I've not done any weight training for at least 1.5 years, I'm thinking of doing 3X8, starting with "easy" weights to find my feet again before upping them. Would that make sense?

This is the kind of training I've been used to doing, but not specifically in relation to running.

I would love to hear your suggestions and advice about exercises, and recommended reps and sets. I haven't got a lot of time to spend in a gym (full time job and dogs to look after kind of put restrictions on time that I can spend on exercising), but I'm looking to go twice a week - and run twice a week too.

Thanks for any feedback!

i guess, it's endurance what you seek and not strength, right??then weights don't have to be heavy and you could keep your reps high..it's better to stick to basic compounds, but i think it won't make any difference on what execises you choose, since you'll be orienting to more endurance goals..

Thanks for that! I've been sneaking time on the internet today at work and kind of read up on things, and found that fir running higher reps and lover weights are recommended, so it'll be 2X12 then rather than 3X8. Oh, and I figure I'll throw in a military press too - good core exercise (and, more importantly, I really like doing them!)

I would just like to say that I'm super jealous of a 24 hour gym!

And it's super cheap too, £10 a month! It's because they've cut out fancy things that usually drive the price up: there's no sauna or steam room (but there are showers, for obvious reasons!), and they don't have gym instructors hanging about. There is an option I think for hiring personal trainers, but most gyms have that anyway, and have instructors wandering about aimlessly, occasionally putting a few dumbells away

Safety wise (thinking about working out at 3AM) the whole place is covered by cctv and a guy at the other end watching it all, so I'd feel pretty safe coming it at all hours. Mmmm, doing a workout on a Friday night when most people go out to get drunk - that is just the best way to feel all smug!