Advice on deadlift technique please

nobbi

not bad so far. good hip movement.

i would recommend to lift faster. lift explosive from the ground off and put the bar down in a controlled movement.

also you should arch your lower back before the lift off. although there's no "low enough" for your legs while deadlifting it seems like that you should bring your body down a bit more so you are able to arch your lower back in the starting position. the problem could be that the weights are too small and therefore the bar is too low for a deadlift but i can't really make it out here.

I agree your hips could be lower at first. To arch your back try thinking about showing your nipples to someone in front of you (or just chest up whatever works for you :b). This has been the simplest and most helpful vid I've seen on deadlift form:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syt7A23YnpA

Other than that, it does look like light weight so I would recommend using double overhand grip until you can't manage that anymore. That will help your grip strength. And it looks like you did a touch and go on the 2nd rep which kind of doesn't make it a dead-lift. Minor things all though, looks very good for a start.

You're starting position is a bit flawed. The way you are starting out is with your lets in flexion versus being tucked back and pinched together. Essentially what you want to do is keep a rigid flat back and the means for doing this is pinching the shoulderblades as tight as you can.

You then want to shove your butt back almost as if doing a good morning then place your hands on the bar and if you can't, bend your knees accordingly to get to the bar while maintaining that solid flat back.

Throughout the entire set up you want your hamstrings to be on-tension so when you get to the body when you move the bar you move as well. What happens sometimes is that people won't be fully on tension and pull their butts up a bit before lifting which works, but it sacrifices maximal gains and can potentially lead to injury.

Also keep the head centered and look down at the ground about 6-8 feet in front of you and keep that position throughout the entire lift. Tilting the head up can kill your form and hinder strength gains.

Keep head in line with spine looking down

Flat back

Lats pinched

Engage Hamstrings first

And you should be good.

is an example of a good deadlift.