Weight/Health questions???

dunaway1

Ok guys, is it possible that eating beans or too much fruit can cause a weightloss stall or gain? I try to eat beans for protein sources and occsional TVP products. I have found that if I eat grains or more than 1 cup of oatmeal a day I get bloated and I find that I can't lose and I start to crave more sugar...I have 2 friend at work telling me that I am wasting my time and I should be lowcarbing(GROSSSSSS) They say that I am more susceptable to thyroid problems and thinning hair eating a vegan diet.....I don;t think that's true what are your opinions out there? I have seen soooo many healthy looking vegans and very muscular ones as well. Should i up my cardio more for losses? I am trying to do workout videos in the AM, and like to do HIT at the gym on treadmill when time presents it self. i have been slacking on the weight training though and Im wondering if that's my problem. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!!! I just think its very unhealthy to eat meat and dairy especially with all the factory farming and people that don't give a crap whether your food is safe to eat or not! Is it better to eat more fat or less fat? I am really confused on this one.

People tell you a vegan diet is bad for you because they are either A: Misinformed, like a majority of people out there or B: They just simply wanna bash veganism. Usually people do this because they secretly feel bad, or threatened by you because they eat meat.

A vegan diet, like any diet, can cause health problems if you don't eat right. The part where you said you feel bloated and crave sugar after eating grains worries me. I think you should consult a doctor to see if you have a gluten intolerance or even celiac disease.

Also, I think you should use more than beans for a protein source. Try brown rice, soy, quinoa, lentils, and hemp to add more variety to your diet. Also, don't forget to eat lots of vegetables.

A low carb-high protein diet will help you lose bodyfat, but you must still weight train! Otherwise you risk losing muscle mass, especially if you're in a calorie deficit.

Thanks for ur reply...I was on google and could not believe the websites that bashed veganism saying that its dangerous and people end up having health problems in the long term and that animal products should be added in frequently...sounds like BS to me but people tell me that I can't lose weight because I'm vegan ..I just think I'm the type that needs to workout out more frenquently and longer than 20 min at a time..

I have 2 friend at work telling me that I am wasting my time and I should be lowcarbing(GROSSSSSS) They say that I am more susceptable to thyroid problems and thinning hair eating a vegan diet.....

Whenever someone comes out with such statements, ask them where they obtained the info from. Do not let them brush their statements aside. The claims must be verified by peer reviewed scientific studies, published in respected journals and must clearly show cause & effect. Anything less is just hot air and an embarrassment to those who make such idiotic claims.

Remember, anyone can say anything but without proper backup, it is meaningless and they lose respect.

Case in point, I have been on a plant based eating plan (McDougall) for the past 15 years and I have never knowingly strayed. I do not have any health problems, just benefits, nor have I had any thyroid problem and believe me, only because of how fair skinned and my blonde hair do you not notice how damn hairy I am!!! No thinning hair here at age 50.

Thanks for ur reply...I was on google and could not believe the websites that bashed veganism saying that its dangerous and people end up having health problems in the long term and that animal products should be added in frequently...sounds like BS to me but people tell me that I can't lose weight because I'm vegan ..I just think I'm the type that needs to workout out more frenquently and longer than 20 min at a time..

People who don't eat properly (any diet) will experience long term detrimental health effects.

Vegans tend to be healthy people because well.. We care what we put in our bodies.

Anyone can lose weight if they put together a good diet and exercise plan.

Ok guys, is it possible that eating beans or too much fruit can cause a weightloss stall or gain?

Yes. Calories in excess will cause weight gain. Fruits and beans are no exception.

I have found that if I eat grains or more than 1 cup of oatmeal a day I get bloated and I find that I can't lose and I start to crave more sugar.

I don't really understand this sentence, specially the part I put in bold. But if this is true you should follow Marcinas advice and check for gluten intolerance or celiacs. Sugar cravings can be triggered by an enormous amount of things, if you have oats do you eat them plain or do you eat something on them?

I have 2 friend at work telling me that I am wasting my time and I should be lowcarbing(GROSSSSSS)

Friends don't tell friends to low carb.

They say that I am more susceptable to thyroid problems and thinning hair eating a vegan diet.....I don;t think that's true what are your opinions out there?

It's not true that a vegan diet causes thyroid problems but malnutrition does. If you're eating legumes (specially soy) it might be a good idea to make sure you're getting enough iodine in your diet.

Should i up my cardio more for losses? I am trying to do workout videos in the AM, and like to do HIT at the gym on treadmill when time presents it self. i have been slacking on the weight training though and Im wondering if that's my problem. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!!!

If you're not losing body fat you are not in a caloric defecit. To change this you can either eat less or excersise more. For a lot of people who want(need to loose weight ad lib (free) eating of healthy foods is enough to achieve a caloric defecit but for some the best and only way is to count calories.

First you calculate your basal metabolic rate (http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/) then you add calories you burn during excersise (http://www.myoptumhealth.com/portal/ManageMyHealth/Calories+Burned+Calculator) each day. When you've done that you subtract 500 calories and that's the amount of calories you should be eating in a day. The numbers aren't going to be perfect but so far this has never failed anyone who's tried it. Fill those out and post how much you burn in a day and we can go from there.

To calculate the calories in the food you eat there are several different programs. http://www.nutritiondata.com is pretty good but I think the best it the cron-o-meter http://spaz.ca/cronometer/. You need a kitchen scale (if you don't have one go get one they're really cheap).

Generally the best stuff for a vegan to eat when trying to loose weight is

1. TVP, tofu (low fat), protein powders, legumes

2. Veggies

3. Fruit

4. Whole grains, starchy veggies

5. Nuts and seeds

6. Oils

Focus on the top 3, limit 4 and 5 and preferably cut out 6 completely or use very very limited.

Is it better to eat more fat or less fat? I am really confused on this one.

It's kinda up to you and what you prefer. I would go for moderate low fat (around 20e%).

• 3 weeks later...

Check out Dr. Furhman's stuff. Hes a promoter of a low grain vegan diet because grains aren't as nutritious as greens and fruit, which should predominate in the diet. I have the same issue as you. If I eat more than one or two servings of grain a day, I do gain weight, and quickly. Beans work better for me, but I don't usually eat more than a cup or two, max, daily. I've had the most success with the Eat to Live approach he advocates. His second book, "Eat for Health," (2 volumes) expands on this approach.