Barbell bent over rows - 45 or 90 degrees?

nobbi

90 degrees and the bar starts & ends on the floor on each rep

that exercise is called pendlay rows.

i agree with johan that you have to find out yourself in what angle you want to do the bb rows. it also depends on which muscles you want to hit mainly. the more upright you're staying the more you hit the trapezius, the more you bent over the more the lats are involved.

Who cares about traps and lats...

I do!

it also depends on which muscles you want to hit mainly. the more upright you're staying the more you hit the trapezius, the more you bent over the more the lats are involved.

That's an usefull answer. Thanks dude.

i switched to pull-ups cause they're working the biceps even better!

So did I. Close grip pull-ups seem to be the best biceps work out.

One more for the "do both types" vote.

One will feel very different from the other, just like a wide grip row will feel different from one done narrow grip since it will hit your back differently. Of course, if one type causes discomfort in a bad way, stick to whichever one feels best, but if you can do them both ways, go for it!

I've recently swopped over to one arm bent rows which allows me to get down lower as I can rest a knee and a hand on a bench!

I like them more, it allows me to focus more on the muscles being worked and elect heavier weights. I also find it a lot kinder on my wrists. Using a straight bar hurts my wrists if I add much weight.

Additionally, I also find it makes it easier for me to tense the muscle more at the top as it gives me a longer range of movement and makes it safe to do a slow negative, which using a bar doesn't really.