Danger Belly

Marcina

Yesterday I was diagnosed with "lazy bowel".. Which is attributed to my IBS - Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I have IBS-C.

Basically what happens is peristalsis in my gut moves slower than other people's. It causes cramping and bloating mostly, but also constipation. I also have a small calcification in my bowel, and a streptococcus infection in my bladder (which may or may not have caused the little stone in my bowel)

Ahem. Anyways.

The doctor has me on Metamucil daily and some antibiotics to get rid of the infection. I feel soooo craaappy!! I can't eat anything except oatmeal, bananas, and salad without getting a big tummyache. I had to take today off work, and I sleep all the time. This has been going on for a week. I sincerely hope the treatment works soon

Does anybody else here have IBS and can relate with me? We can sit and whine together! Lol!

I'm kidding. I'm grateful that I only have IBS and not something more serious like Crohn's, or colon cancer. It would still be nice to have someone with the same affliction to relate with though.

I think being a vegan helps because I eat more fiber that way. It's funny that I still need even MORE fiber to stay regular. I also bought some probiotics which I'll take when I'm done the antibiotics. Otherwise I'll just be wasting them.

Being diagnosed with IBS makes a lot of sense because it explains why I always felt sick after eating certain foods (mostly animal products). I suspected for years that I had it but it's nice to have an official diagnosis.

Also, in the future.. If anyone tells me I'm full of shit, I can say "YES I AM!!"

That sucks! =[ My girlfriend has IBS, had it for nearly 3 years now. At first she was scared to try anything because everything seemed to make her ill. It was really bad for the first 4 months, every night (and sometimes through the day too) she'd be really ill all night. She lived off toast, potatoes and oatcakes for a while lol. It's much better now, she has a better idea of what makes her ill, and she's eating a much wider variety of foods - it's different for everyone, just need to find out what's good/bad for you.

...typing this out I think I've told this story before on here lol.

Even though I have no idea what it must be like, I spent A LOT of time around her when it's affected her. It can be really hard at times but you just need to stay positive

Positive thinking is very good advice and I'll tell ya why. People with IBS have "episodes" when they experience stress. A more upbeat attitude really helps.

I've had IBS since I was a kid, but it wasn't diagnosed until a couple days ago. IBS is hard to diagnose since everything will show up normal on tests.

Since I was a kid I've made a mental list of foods that bother me. The list includes Meat (especially beef. I can't tell you how many times I've eaten a hamburger and thrown up after), Dairy (Many run-to-the-toilet experiences), carbonated beverages (bloating), Fried foods (stomach pains, bloating), Cabbage and broccoli (death farts. I woke up my hubby with my stank once lolol)

The way I approach IBS is with a sense of humor. It's funny to me! Except of course, when it gets so bad I can't get out of bed.. But that rarely happens.

I'm sorry to hear about your problems but I'm glad you have an official diagnosis now. I have a question - do you take Metamucil or just plain old psyllium husk plain? I have some plain stuff, and I usually throw it in smoothies, but I can never get it to dissolve in just plain old water. I was just wondering if you had the secret of dissolving it.

So you have IBS-D then?

Yikes.

Well since I started taking the Metamucil, I feel tons better!! I'm regular now and my appetite is back! I'm working 2 jobs now though so I have to make sure to pack adequate amounts of food with me. It's getting challenging taking my fiber everyday.