why can't i lose body fat and get lean and toned?

lauren22

hey there everyone,

i am 5'2, 22yrs old weighing in at 148, which is really high for me. I lift weights about twice a week (and see a personal trainer once a month), take a body shop class twice a week, swim three times a week, do yoga three times a week, and do cardio(20-45 min) 4-5 times a week. I eat a lot of veggies, fruit, legumes, moderate amounts of grains, and stray away from soy. my diet and workout routine is not new, and for the past 5 weeks i have been looking a lot more closely at my diet and fitness. however, nothing has changed. I'm so frustrated, and getting really upset, and wanting to quit working out. anyone got any advice? i want to have a lean body with definition but it's just not happening.

~Lauren

My thoughts are you're doing too much at once. The body needs time to recuperate. Diet also plays a huge role. A lot of the time, women will try to do too much exercise and eat minimal calories and their bodies start going into "famine mode" and hold onto fat.

If you've been doing this routine for 5 weeks now and haven't noticed any results at all, try changing it. Try doing more weight training, and lift heavier. The more lean muscle mass you build, the more fat your body will burn. Start doing weights maybe 3 times a week, with cardio either on separate days, or after your weight training session. Give yourself rest days as well! At least 2 days a week should be rest days.

Always remember to eat properly too. How many calories are you eating everyday? What's your daily diet like?

Hi Lauren,

To maximise your fat weight loss, you should try to simplify what you eat in terms of limiting or eliminating calorie dense foods. Keeping your intake limited to as least processed as possible with an emphasis on raw and minimally cooked, should help you in your endeavours. No need to go exclusively raw, but after a week or two on lots of raw (fruits), I felt very, very good with loads of energy to carry out my workouts and then some.

I am 50 and stand just 5'6" @ 67kgs. I recently purposefully dropped my weight from 70kgs and feel better and stronger than ever, nourishing my body with lots of fruits and vegies, limiting processed foods to a minimum.

Keep at it, eat when you need to and hopefully what has worked for me and many others will work for you. Best wishes.

I lost a lot of weight doing raw foods. Unfortunately, I lost too much weight.. And went a little squirrelly.

I don't do well on an exclusive raw foods diet because I become obsessive about it. Like those orthorexia horror stories you read about.

I eat a big green salad everyday and bananas. Also, with all the digestive problems I have, fresh fruits and veggies are among the two types of foods I can always eat no matter how much my stomach is bothering me.

*praises raw foods!*

hey yea... i tried all of that. i was 100% raw for 6 months, but nothing changed! it's just so frustrating. I eat SO clean... nothing processed only whole fruit, veggies, beans, legumes, and moderate amounts of grains. i want to give up my workouts, and working with a personal trainer. i don't know why i can't lose fat, gain muscle!

i don't know why i can't lose fat, gain muscle!

This is the problem faced by most and solved by few. It is very hard to achieve both together. You may have to try out reducing the calorie density a little in what you eat and increase the intensity of your lifting workouts. This will take some experimenting on your part over a few weeks, but it's about the calorie in/out scenario.

Keep at it as 5 weeks' training with your current routine is not enough time. I can take at least a couple of months for some people's bodies to react to change. Just look at the calorie density of what you are eating and modify.

Best wishes and no giving up!!!!

It's hard to say, without knowing how much you're eating. 3000 calories of healthy food a day is still 3000 calories. With the amount of activity you're doing, it sounds like you're in great shape. If you're eating modestly and are still having these issues, I'd recommend you see a doctor. A lot of people blame hormones for being out of shape, but sometimes there's a genuine underlying cause.

a good fast/cleanse is always good. you should not eat anything at least 3-4 hours before going to sleep. maybe upping the cardio, might help.......it sounds like you're a beast and don't need much help. just from the little you've explained sounds like you're doing everything perfect.

you guys who all responded are rock stars. the encouragement you all have given makes me feel good about what i'm doing. i realized that i don't only do the things i do to lose weight, but to feel good about myself. especially i think with working out, i don't give myself enough credit. i feel like i'm actually not doing enough, but now i know that im doing well.

i wanted to steer away from calorie counting because i got obsessed with it two years ago, however, i am not the same person and i think that may be beneficial for me at this point.

i'm hoping that soon i will make a break through and lose fat and gain muscle!!!!! but i think i need to be more patient.

"persistence wears down resistance"

If you want to gain muscle, you'll have to increase your protein intake and decrease your cardio. If I'm doing cardio I'll do it on non-lifting days, or do about 15 minutes worth after a weight training session. Adjust to whatever fits your body. I have no problems losing body fat so I stop doing cardio altogether in order to gain muscle. The same may not work for you.

It takes people awhile to figure out what works best for their body, so please don't get discouraged! I had a hard time gaining muscle for 2 years and was sooo frustrated! I learned through trial and error what worked and what didn't.

If you want a little help in gaining muscle, I find that creatine has really helped me out. I also take protein supplements because I have a hard time eating enough foods in a day.

I feel your pain lauren, I still have a gut after over 3 years of training and dieting. Still, you just have to keep positive and try not to get overwhelmed with all the information out there. People usually say the key to weight loss is to burn more calories than you take in, so calculating how many calories you eat in a day or posting a break down of your typical diet on here might do the trick. Don't ask for meal plans though, you may get yelled at