VBB: I need advice on my new workout plan.

PMA

I'm on my 16 week now. First couple of weeks were great, I'm an Ectomorph, so the slightest muscle gain was a noticeable. My back looked more of an I than a V. Arms were long and slim, now triceps are noticeable. The progress is a lot more slower now so I thought about continuing the same plan except working out twice the amount to get faster results.

I was working one muscle group each day so it looked something like:

Monday-Back

Tuesday-Chest

Wednesday-Shoulders

Thursday-Biceps/Triceps

Friday-Cardio

Saturday-Rest

Sunday-Rest

Now:

Monday-Back and Shoulders:

Pull-ups (3 sets of 8 reps)

Seated Rows (50/50/60 15 reps)

Bent-over Rolls (15/15/15 15 reps with each arm)

Lat Pull Downs (50/50/60 15 reps)

Hyper Extension (3 sets of 15 reps)

Alternating Dumbbell Shoulder Press on Swiss Ball (15/15/15 15 reps)

Lever Shoulder Press (50/50/60 15 reps)

Arnold Press (15/15/20 15 reps)

Dumbbell Shrug (30/30/30 15 reps)

Cuban Press (15/15/15/ 15 reps)

Tuesday-Chest and Biceps and Triceps:

Push-ups (3 sets of 20)

Nautilus Bench Press (50/50/60 15 reps)

Nautilus Incline Press (50/50/60 15 reps)

Dumbbell Pullover (20/20/20 15 reps)

Dumbbell Fly (15/15/20 15 reps)

Chin-ups (3 sets of

Triceps Push-down (50/50/60 15 reps)

Standing Biceps Curls (40/40/40 12 reps)

Overhead Dumbbell Extensions (20/20/20 15 reps)

Standing Dumbbell Curls (20/20/20 12 reps)

Single Arm Pronated Dumbbell Extension (15/15/15 12 reps)

Wednesday-Back and Shoulders

Thursday-Chest and Biceps and Triceps

Friday- 1hr cardio on Elliptical Machines

Saturday:

Jacuzzi (20 min)

Sauna 2 sessions of 15 minutes

Sunday-Rest

My bodybuilding objective is shape/muscle formation over size/mass. Something similar to Tyler Durden. I'm not looking to get big but rather to get cut and ripped.

I'm lifting light weights in order to achieve good muscle formation and resting 30 seconds to one minute between exercise and warming up 10 minutes on Elliptical Machines. Normally takes me 1:30 to 2:00 hours to finish.

I look forward to hear suggestions and comments from the VBB community.

I agree with Chewybaws. This seems to be very complicated and muddled.

The one thing that I would suggest is that in order to get "ripped" you have to pay close attention to diet more than anything else. It is ok to work out for an hour or so, but it is the other 23 hours in the day that are crucial. Additionally I think that you are mad to train for 2 hours at a time, I would be bored and exhausted at this.

Where are the leg and abdominal sections of your program?

Please bear in mind Pitt was 150-155 pounds when he played the role and it was done with strict attention to training several months before the shoot. This type of physique is not sustainable to the average person, Pitt has amazing genes (see Troy for example). It is great that you have a goal, but maintain a low BF and looked ripped all year round takes real dedication. Cycle your diet and it keeps things fresh.

Add some lower body work in as well, otherwise you will look strange with a well developed upper body and never trained legs.

Nice to hear you have a Jacuzzi and a Sauna on Saturdays, but hardly training.

Maximus.

You NEED to include lower body exercises if you're looking to get bigger. Squats and deadlifts!

After 16 weeks it's probably about time to take a little break. I'd do a little more light cardio and continue to lift only my worst body parts for the next week or two.

Your workout it pretty ambitious. How well are you recovering? Making decent gains every workout, staying the same, or are you regressing?

If you want to work out twice as much, I suggest you split your exercises into A and B parts for each muscle group. There's really no reason to do pullups and lat pulldowns the same day. No reason to do seated rows and bent over rows the same day. Seriously if you are doing the seated rows first, then have any energy left for the bent overs, you're not pushing yourself enough on the seated rows.

Do pullups and seated rows on your back A day and pulldowns+bent over rows on your back B day. Same deal with your other exercises. If you do this, you can then combine your workouts to two or three different groupings of muscle groups.

For example:

Day 1: Chest A, Shoulders A, Triceps A

Day 2: Back A, Legs A

Day 3: Chest B, Shoulders B, Triceps B

Day 4: Back B, Legs B

This can either be done M-T-Th-F or M-W-F-M. If you're hell bent on lifting 4x week, I'd highly recommend putting that cardio day in the middle.

this programm looks so horrible - even for a high split volume programm - that i don't know where to start.

you should get yourself some basic knowledge about weight training and start from the very beginning.

My bodybuilding objective is shape/muscle formation over size/mass. Something similar to Tyler Durden. I'm not looking to get big but rather to get cut and ripped.

and if you're serious about this then save your money you spend for the gym right now, do pull-ups, push-ups and maybe some crunches at home instead and eat less.

Hello,

Thanks for the replies.

Wow, I didn't know my plan was this bad. When I first started working out I started doing what I was comfortable with, and kept adding more exercises that also kept me comfortable. Like I mentioned, I'd work out one muscle group per day, then two muscle groups per week when I started seeing slow results and wanted to fasten results and that's what I came up with.

I just realize the main reason why I'm not seeing results is the overworking. Just like chrisjs mentioned, I need a brake. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sisco8.htm this author makes a perfect example comparing hair and muscles. So for the next 2 weeks I'm going to focus on lowering my bodyfat %. And abs.

Forgot to mentioned my leg exercises were on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I'd do Leg Extensions, One Legged Dumbbell Calf Raises, Lying Leg Curls. And Forearms one Mondays and Wednesdays.

xphilx, I go to my apartment complex's gym so it's free. For the next two weeks I gotta find a program that best suits me as well as a diet plan, hope someone can help me out.