Tofu Bad for Men?

I collect anti-FUD articles about soy in a special section on my blog:

http://beforewisdom.com/blog/?cat=23

One of the articles reported on a study where they actually TRIED to produce feminizing effects (mild) with soy using healthy young volunteers. They used isolates and only got to the edge of slight effects, feeding the volunteers massive amounts of the isolates. They couldn't have even come close if they used actual soy foods.

• 2 weeks later...

You know I recently became a Vegan a little over a week ago, and I personally haven't had any Tofu as of yet, then while I was looking up a recipe online for pizza I saw a recipe for creating Vegan Manicotti. After clicking on the link I discovered that the main ingredient in this was 1lb of Tofu, after seeing this I decided to do some research on how healthy Tofu was for you. After reading a few seemingly biased websites about the dangers of Tofu I ran across a few unbiased sources that concluded that there are many negatives in large doses. It seems that the recommended dose is 25 grams, and what I took from the research is that its more or less appropriate for women then men. You will be fine and by my guess much healthier if you consume it daily in small doses.

I wonder how many of these studies are done using GM soy or organic soy?

Ive never met anyone that has had soy related health issues but everyone on here knows someone with health issues related to animal products.

Lucky for us there is zillions of plant based protein options. Fruits, veg, grains,oats, beans, corn, nuts, seeds etc.

When I asked him where he had read this information about Tofu he chuckled and said it was just common knowledge about soy and tofu.
I would be extremely wary about anyone who recommends something based on "common knowledge." Remember, "common knowledge" says you can "catch a cold" just by being cold, and that fat can turn into muscle. You wouldn't trust a trainer who told you that your muscles will turn into fat, would you? Probably not.

If you like the trainer but want to push him against his idiotic view of soy, show him Muscular Development magazine...try to find December 2009 issue (if you need help, I can get it for you). For those that don't know, MD is the "no-bull" magazine. They will give information on absolutely everything that's related to health, fat loss, and muscle gain. This includes talk about steroids. When a magazine that gives tips on steroid use says that soy is 100% fine and then shows all the medical research to back it up...I tend to believe that.

Here with all the evidence I seen and research this is what is the truth about soy based on what I have seen.

First Dairy industry needs to promote bad things about soy because it is stealing a large part of their market. Put it out in the media and scare people.

Second Your trainner can't avoid soy really because if he eats meat there is a good chance that the feed those animals were given was soy.

Third

Some claims of hexane is used to process soy. I am not sure how much of it is still in it and or which brands use it.

GMO Soy is different for the most part than Organic Soy. Organic Soy unless contaminated is not genetically altered so that in it self is a big difference.

Isolated Soy Protein actually raises Insulin like growth factor which dairy is blamed to do. Do a search for Dr. McDougall and Soy.

Finally Okinawans are one of the larges consumers of tofu and soy products and they are some of the longest lived people and last time I saw there are still men there.

The problem I even saw with my girlfriends nutrition textbooks is they say eat more dairy and eggs and on the next page they state the most allergenic foods are eggs dairy... and so on. A lot of the data is tested much like a NYC horse with blinders. People pick at one specific thing and say either how wonderful or how bad it is but now one looks at the overall picture. Not to say everyones body reacts differently to foods. For some Soy will empower them and for others it will harm them. Things are exactly as they are unclear. Because we are different individuals who don't know how our body will react long term to certain foods. Basically we don't have a diet for each person's genetic code.

Switch it up there is plenty of food out their to try. Soy is not the only food on the planet. Look for whole foods for better nutrition.

Soy and Male Hormones

How about men? Although compounds in soy products have been likened to very weak female hormones, they have no adverse effects on men and may actually help them prevent cancer. A meta-analysis to be published in Fertility and Sterility, based on more than 50 treatment groups, showed that neither soy foods nor isoflavone supplements from soy affect testosterone levels in men (8). An analysis of 14 studies, published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition showed that increased intake of soy resulted in a 26 percent reduction in prostate cancer risk (9). Researchers found a 30 percent risk reduction with nonfermented soy products such as soy milk and tofu.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/neal-barnard-md/settling-the-soy-controve_b_453966.html