How to increase weights in training?

kumar5

I've been going to the gym for a month now and it's been ok so far.

Right now, I'd like to know how do I increase the weights for most exercises.

For example, I can do dumbell curls with 6kg dumbells for 3x8 now. I tried increasing it to 8kg with 3x8 but after 5 times, I lost form and had to take a break before continuing.

I want to bulk but if I don't lift heavy, I can't bulk, right? I'm thinking of maybe doing 8kg with 3x6, until I'm stronger, whenever that comes, lol.

This is pretty much what I face with other exercises also. I'm ok and not tired with the weights I use now but when I increase the weight, I can't do the reps I'm doing now.

It's either same weight same reps or more weight less reps. What do I do? Do advice.

I'm eating well, by the way.

Thanks.

For example, I can do dumbell curls with 6kg dumbells for 3x8 now.

There's your first problem If you're trying to bulk, you should be doing good compound exercises like squats, deadlifts, and bench press. Are you following any certain program? I'd recommend looking into either Stronglifts or Starting Strength. Both follow a progressive loading scheme where you go for 3-5 sets of 5 reps, adding a small amount of weight when you get all reps or trying again next time if you don't. Even if you don't go with one of those, you should have a program that gives you set goals each time you walk into the gym.

For example, I can do dumbell curls with 6kg dumbells for 3x8 now.

There's your first problem If you're trying to bulk, you should be doing good compound exercises like squats, deadlifts, and bench press. Are you following any certain program? I'd recommend looking into either Stronglifts or Starting Strength. Both follow a progressive loading scheme where you go for 3-5 sets of 5 reps, adding a small amount of weight when you get all reps or trying again next time if you don't. Even if you don't go with one of those, you should have a program that gives you set goals each time you walk into the gym.

What he said.

Don't waste your time with isolation exercises. I started doing pull-ups and then I went to throw in some hammer curls one day and I was lifting 25LB dumbells without a problem.

Same with squats. Now that I can do squats, I can go on the leg press for a set and do like.. 300 pounds.

Just a suggestion.

Try timing your lifts and make notes on the weights that are lifting every week, try for an increase from week to week.

With this I mean that a set of 8-10 reps should be completed within 40-70 seconds. This is "muscle under tension". Control your breathing and try to adhere to this principle of slow and focused and you will find that from week to week (with the correct nutritional program) your strength will increase.

The longer that your muscle is under tension, the better results you will get, combine this with a clean diet with a decent carb, protein and fats ratio and you should see results. This is also applicable to bodyweight exercises as well.

Try and cycle this program every 6 weeks and always include a recovery week at the end of the cycle.

Rip em, feed em, love them.

Maximus.

Here it is Maximus-

Mon- Pec deck, machine press, lat raise, bicep curl, row

Wed- Bench press, hammer curl, tricep curl, lunges

Fri- Bench press, concentrated curl, seated curl, leg curl, (the other one, opposite of leg curl- I forgot the name :P)

Of course, I'm not doing 6kg on all these exercises. Only the dumbell ones. My bench press is at a sad 10kg now.

I'm 170cm, 56kg. Underweight trying to gain some more.

Here it is Maximus-

Fri- Bench press, concentrated curl, seated curl, leg curl, (the other one, opposite of leg curl- I forgot the name :P)

Of course, I'm not doing 6kg on all these exercises. Only the dumbell ones. My bench press is at a sad 10kg now.

I don't see a lot of compounds in there, my friend.

Trade in those leg curls for squats and dead-lifts. Start doing more bench presses and ditch the pec deck. Also.. wth are tricep curls and lat raises??

I agree with the 5x5 program.

Also, eat more. I weigh more and lift heavier than you and I'm a girl. My secret? Compound exercises, plenty of rest, and lots of eating!!

Make sure you're exercises are intense too. You want to be gritting your teeth and sweating at the end of that last rep.

Here it is Maximus-

totally agree with johan. this sucks.

here is what i recommend: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program

i don't know what's so difficult about clicking a link and then reading it's content but whatever, here you go:

Workout A

3x5 Squat

3x5 Bench Press

1x5 Deadlift

Workout B

3x5 Squat

3x5 Press

5x3 Power cleans

Workouts A and B alternate on 3 non-consecutive days per week.

Hey xphilx,

Didn't notice your link earlier, sorry.

Are those exercises enough? I think I'll need around 30 mins, unless the weights get real heavy. But since it's 5x, I can prolly lift heavier now.

Is there a time period to follow, e.g. a month or more? I have my doubts but I'll give it a try since a few ppl. here have recommended it.

I'm doing yoga and ABT (abs-butt-thighs) aerobics classes 2x a week. I can still do them right?

Hey xphilx,

Didn't notice your link earlier, sorry.

no problem.

Are those exercises enough? I think I'll need around 30 mins, unless the weights get real heavy. But since it's 5x, I can prolly lift heavier now.

Is there a time period to follow, e.g. a month or more? I have my doubts but I'll give it a try since a few ppl. here have recommended it.

yes, they're enough. 30minutes sounds good for a beginner.

no time period. train like this as long as you're making progress. if you're able to do the shown sets and reps with a certain weight then put on about five pounds more the following workout.

I'm doing yoga and ABT (abs-butt-thighs) aerobics classes 2x a week. I can still do them right?

as long as it doesn't affect your lifting there's no problem about it. in my eyes it makes absolutely no sense but do whatever you like.

Do you know why you suffer from lower back pain? If not, go see someone professional to get it fixed. Deadlifts actually helped me get rid of my back problems, but of course I started out light.

What he said. The one mistake too many people make is, when they have back pain, instead of making their backs stronger they usually end up doing nothing to improve their weakness and only make their backs worse over time. That's much of the problem with modern medicine and back treatment - most physicians would rather mask problems with painkillers or just tell you to stop lifting because they simply don't know better. Since nobody ever built a strong lower back by sitting on their butts and avoiding working the problem area, you can imagine how well it works to fix back issues by not using your lower back at all...

With deadlifting, start of LIGHT if you need to, using just a bar if that's what it takes to develop proper form and strength. If even that's too much, then there are always other things that can be done until your back becomes capable of using a bar, but deadlifting will be good for building lower back strength UNLESS there's a strong concern about past disc injuries that have been diagnosed or something similar. Many people equate the stress of deadlifting with bad pain even when it's just muscles finally being put to the test, so unless there's a definite issue that pevents deadlifting, I wouldn't write it off completely as it could be the key to making your back hurt less over time.