WHAT FITCAST THINKS OF VEGANS! LISTEN

RAINRA

This is unbelievable, it made me so upset.

I wish there was a way to comment and tell these people how wrong they are.

It is amazing that people still think that we need supplements and additional protein, so sad.

At the end one of the host's says I'm never gonna give up my Oreos.....which are Vegan.

Yeah I was angry as well. I don't know really why but for the fact that ignorant people are spreading bad information.

That is what makes it so wrong.

That is why sites like these are important to show vegan healthy athletes and individuals.

I'm listening right now. The dude started out good but then started blabbing about protein and totally lost me, he said himself that he doesn't keep up with the science there.

Leigh gave a pretty good answer IMO. She could have mentioned some other stuff, specially regarding the health benefits of a vegan diet-debate, obviously she doesn't have all her cards in the right place but I expected a lot worse. When she starts blabbing about milk, eggs and supplementation she kinda lost my respect though.

And most vegans/vegetarians I know are unhealthy but so are the meat eaters. I don't really see what the big deal is or how this provoked you guys. There has been way worse things said about veganism. Please explain what bothers you because I might have missed it since I just woke up and haven't had my coffee yet.

What made me upset is the continued spreading of misinformation about Vegans, such as the need for supplements and the need for additional protein.

I wondered how many people listened to the show and how many of them believed the hosts to be professionals/experts. It's hard when I know that Veganism is a healthy choice yet many people believe the opposite.

Well they are talking in terms of fitness and getting a lot of protein is harder on a vegan diet then it is when eating lean meats, cottage cheese etc. Most vegans on this site take protein supplements and they do so for this very reason. And a lot of vegans (I would say most) do not eat properly and they do need supplementation to meet RDI for some vitamins and minerals.

I wondered how many people listened to the show and how many of them believed the hosts to be professionals/experts.

If people think those guys were experts they are lost causes so who cares?

Don't most bodybuilders or athletes that are not vegan also take protein supplements like whey protein? I must admit that I do not know much about this in particular.

I am aware that most vegans probably don't have an ideal diet. It seemed to me that the podcast was stating that there is no way to be vegan without supplements which is not true, granted it is a hard at first to make sure one is getting a well balanced diet, but after the first month or so in my experience it gets substantially easier.

I am passionate about being Vegan, it is a big part of how I live my life, and sometimes its just unsettling to hear the spread of information that is not accurate.

Yeah most bodybuilders take whey but a lot don't and they don't need to take whey to get the right amount of protein on a low calorie diet. Vegans often do (I get by with TVP but the difference ain't big).

Vegans always need to supplement B12.

Edit: I think most of the supplement talk was regarding the keto diets and it's impossible to do a keto diet on a whole food vegan diet practically.

During the show one of the hosts says he does not know the research terribly well and in the next sentence says that being "vegan is very difficult to pull off" and you need to plan your meals out very well in order to get your protein. I have been vegan for almost 4 years and it has not been difficult, I don't want people to think that there are big barriers to going vegan, because then they won't do it, this is why I got upset, again just because of misinformation. When I listened to the show, I jumped to 24 minutes and I was not thinking about it in terms of athletes I was just thinking in terms of every day people.

The female host says that there are perfectly humane ways of getting dairy, chicken, and eggs and I take issue with that.

So lets just lay out the information:

In your opinion Vegan Bodybuilders and Athletes need or should take supplements

All vegans need to take a B12 supplement

Most vegans eat unhealthy

How one gets b12 is purely a matter of choice. Some get it from nutritional yeast ( a food source) and others do the pills.

Meat eaters do the meat ( food source or they do the pills). We all need B12 vegan or not.

Protein... well according to Dr. Furhman there is more protein per calorie in greens than there is in meat. We can argue all day who needs protein who does not. In the US people are not protein deficient at all. Meat industry does a good job of that.

Protein is in all foods and if you eat enough calories you will get all the protein you need.

Many cases vegans look degenerated muscle wise because they have poor intestinal absorption or they don't eat enough food.

In the Veg Fest in Boston I saw a lot of sick vegetarians or attendees. That is because they were devouring cookies and cupcakes and vegan cheese and white carbs etc... Now if you do it once in a blue moon that is ok but if that is your diet your doing no justice to your health. Vegans can be as sick as meat eaters even if we don't eat meat. Problem is that vegans are just hanging on to these so called imitation foods and not eating whole foods. No disrespect but really if you want people to be vegan or think of the good side of vegan you got to layoff the cupcakes and soda. Sugar is just as bad for your health as meat. Now part of all this is that many vegans decide to be vegan for the animals and not diet which I can respect but when your gonna change your lifestyle you might want to know what your getting into.

The radio lady and guy on this podcast pissed me off about the supplementation and the freakin protein. That is all people think of when they think of no meat. Hello can you say nuts, can you say beans, can you say tofu or soy, can you say grains ... .all high sources of protein... which is absolutely ridiculous that is even an issue.

BOTTOM LINE want to build a stronger body make your body work. Push it and it will grow. Eat whole variety of whole foods and stay away from the crap.

Simple!

Johan many weight lifters are on hgh and roids which is why people get the idea that meat is such a powerful food for building muscle. Put a vegan on roids and I bet you will get the same results. This whole thing they talked about is a joke.

Anyway good points Johan

No disrespect but really if you want people to be vegan or think of the good side of vegan you got to layoff the cupcakes and soda. Sugar is just as bad for your health as meat. Now part of all this is that many vegans decide to be vegan for the animals and not diet which I can respect but when your gonna change your lifestyle you might want to know what your getting into.

I agree completely

During the show one of the hosts says he does not know the research terribly well....

Yeah I know that's what I wrote above and it rubbed me in the wrong way too. I kinda thought that if he doesn't know the science maybe he shouldn't comment as if he did...Right before the vegan part they talk about soy protein for women and the girl, Leigh, says similar stuff but still blabbers on. This is a typical BS program, however I don't think they slandered veganism very bad, they mentioned problems that are common, if it was a good show they would have provided solutions for those problems but it's a crappy show so whatever.

So lets just lay out the information:

In your opinion Vegan Bodybuilders and Athletes need or should take supplements

All vegans need to take a B12 supplement

Most vegans eat unhealthy

1. No, they don't need to but it might improve their performance and make things easier. Cubby here on the forum has a diet basically without supps but he gets a whole shitload (pun intended) of fiber to get all the protein he is getting. I eat TVP which is a wee bit "wholer" than protein powder and it's a food so I would get by fine without my 60-80 grams of amino acids per week but I wouldn't if it wasn't for the TVP I think.

2. Yes.

3. Most vegans that I know. I'm basically the only vegan I know who eats healthy, everyone else eats fake meats, fake cheese, cupcakes, cookies, white flour, white rice, candy and oils as staples. I know plenty of vegans who doesn't consume veggies on a regulr basis. The vegan fair here in Stockholm last week had maybe 20 booths that served "food" and the healthiest thing I could get was probably the diet soda or white rice. Just like you they reason that being/becoming vegan shouldn't be a problem so they provide everyone with unhealthy sollutions.

Protein... well according to Dr. Furhman there is more protein per calorie in greens than there is in meat. We can argue all day who needs protein who does not. In the US people are not protein deficient at all. Meat industry does a good job of that.

Protein is in all foods and if you eat enough calories you will get all the protein you need.

Protein requirements is one thing and what's beneficial is another. Athletes, specially strength and bodybuilding athletes, benefits a whole lot from high protein diets. High protein is also a great way to increase satiety in a weight loss diet and it also spares lean body mass. I eat between 180-220 grams of protein per day and I don't think I should have to explain to you why I can't eat that amount with just greens. The energy% of protein in foods is damn good to know but it's also important to understand what's practical and what's not.

In the Veg Fest in Boston I saw a lot of sick vegetarians or attendees. That is because they were devouring cookies and cupcakes and vegan cheese and white carbs etc... Now if you do it once in a blue moon that is ok but if that is your diet your doing no justice to your health. Vegans can be as sick as meat eaters even if we don't eat meat. Problem is that vegans are just hanging on to these so called imitation foods and not eating whole foods. No disrespect but really if you want people to be vegan or think of the good side of vegan you got to layoff the cupcakes and soda. Sugar is just as bad for your health as meat. Now part of all this is that many vegans decide to be vegan for the animals and not diet which I can respect but when your gonna change your lifestyle you might want to know what your getting into.

I just fell in love with you. +1000

Johan many weight lifters are on hgh and roids which is why people get the idea that meat is such a powerful food for building muscle. Put a vegan on roids and I bet you will get the same results. This whole thing they talked about is a joke.

I think it's more of a quantitive thing. I mean there are not many vegan bodybuilders at all, and most of the ones that do excist has health as a priority (something most normal bbers don't have they just want to get big). Also chris said something good in a recent thread, people are told to eat meat to get big, and it works so they do it. If everyone was told to eat vegan to get big it would also work but the vast majority of bbers stick to their meat so of course the biggest ones are going to be a part of that group.

AHealthyVegan ... I totally agree. I think that everyone vegan and non vegan make healthy food seem to be like it is nasty tasting. I tell ya they are way wrong. Most people who eat healthy vegan diets could not be vegan for a long time if it was just for strong moral. You have to freakin like your food. I guess some people will never get that.

Specially when you get things like " hey your brave for going vegan because I like food to much...." OOOOOOOHh man that gets me heated when I here this. Like I freekn don't like my food...

Vegans must take responsibility to break myths and show people that health vegan food can be just as amazing as what they eat.

Thanks For Starting this thread. I got an Odeo account so I could send them an e-mail about the show.

By their own admission they don't know anything about being Vegan, and to me they wern't saying anything too bad in the begining. But When they were talking about the needs for supplements, and how difficult it is to maintain such a diet, I figured I could give them some information.

The only part that was uppsetting was the fact that she mentioned "humaine meat", which is obviously an oxy-moron, I did find it funny that she laughed at her need for humaine meat, kind of like she thought that it's a silly idea.

Maybe I can get them to have a decent fact driven Vegan pod-cast, i'll let you all know

• 3 weeks later...

The 1st man was speaking "anecdotally" - I'm guessing he's saying what he's heard from veg*ns. I've noticed, a lot of veg*ns believe in the protein myth. We're ALL taught it. Some of them are right here on this forum.

Some people have a hard time after going vegan. They're un-aware that they're having a hard time with adjustment and detox.

I havnt listened to the link but dont need to.I come against total bullshit arguments constantly as a vegan.I would never let that push me back to eating meat - that will NEVER happen, but I have to say it makes my life really hard.Being a vegan is the largest handicap I have ever CHOSEN to give myself, mentally i mean, not physically.But at the end of the day its a way of life and I love animals often more than I love people.

Eating enough protein on a vegan diet to bodybuild is very hard without supplement but then so is any body building, vegan or not.