Beta Alanine

I took 3g on an empty stomach the first time I took it a couple days ago. I tingled so badly, like all my limbs fell asleep. The next time, I took 2g, and barely tingled. I just took 3g again this morning, on an empty stomach, and the tingling is rather mild, unless I move around a lot. I don't know if I could tolerate it during a workout; it would be too distracting. I think I will continue to take it in split doses, 6-9g per day, for the first two weeks, until my carnosine stores are built up pretty decent.

It took me about four or five days for the strong tingling to stop. Sugar seems to blunt the tingling quite a bit. I felt the same way you did about it not seeming tolerable, but it has gotten much better.

Yeah, carbs stops a lot of the tingling.

My sense is that if your tingling, then you have reached a point of overdose? No?

Nope.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I take EAA, beta-alanine and creatine both pre and post. But really the EAA is the only "must" in there, the beta-alanine and creatine can be taken whenever (creatine preferably around meal time because insulin is needed for better uptake). The supplements BCAA/EAA is free form amino acids.

I take EAA, beta-alanine and creatine both pre and post. But really the EAA is the only "must" in there, the beta-alanine and creatine can be taken whenever (creatine preferably around meal time because insulin is needed for better uptake). The supplements BCAA/EAA is free form amino acids.

Cool, I ordered some and they just arrived yesterday. The BCAA's are 2:1:1. How many grams do you take for your pre/post of each? And what's the best way to take them. I tried some EAA (5g) pre-workout today and it tasted pretty horrid (actually, the first 85% was bearable, when I started getting near the bottom it tasted like )

If a supplement tastes good it's most likely useless

How many grams do you take for your pre/post of each?

I'm not sure what you're asking about here. I take 12 grams of EAA before and 12 grams after but that's just because of the scoop size, 10 grams seems to do the job. I don't use any BCAA-only supplement but BCAA is 3 of the 8 EAA.

If you're wondering about the creatine I use different amounts from time to time but usually 5-10 grams per day and I take 6 grams of beta-alanine per day.

The best way to take EAA is on an empty stomach with either just water or water + fast digesting carbs (however I do not recommend using carbohydrate powders because it's kinda worthless so I take them plain with water).

The trick to getting amino acids down is to either use diet lemonade (or whatever it's called, we have "fun light" maybe you guys have it too) or not use much water so you can take about 10 grams in 1,5-2 mouthfulls.

If a supplement tastes good it's most likely useless

Haha. I used 500ml of *cough*soy milk. It went on forever!

I'll definitely try using as small amount of water as I can get away with.

And cool, yeah that's what I meant. I get it now. See the BCAA's in the EAA's you get, is it a ratio of 2:1:1, or 4:1:1? (turns out the EAA's I have, have the BCAA's in them at a ratio of 2:1:1). Now I'm stuck with 100g of BCAA only that I don't really need because I have the EAA's.

Oh and I think I know what you'll say about this, but what's your opinion on these (they're vegan).

Oh and I think I know what you'll say about this, but what's your opinion on these (they're vegan).

Do you really want to pop 18 caps around your workouts?

Not really haha. Johan, I tried using just 250ml of water today and it worked a treat! Was down in 5 secs with little to no residue. No need for tablets now =]

What does the caffeine do for working out? Besides increased energy.

Well its also a really strong antioxidant which many people tend to forget!!(therefore should help stop muscle catabolism). I'm sure it does other stuff too but the energy+anttioxidant qualities are def the most important here XD

By the way, I've read many conflictiog things about NO so I've never taken it. But a friend of mine who is a professional swimmer has started to achieve much faster times since taking NO. What are your experiences with this?

Is it beneficial to have protein powder in my recovery drink (4 dates, juice of half lemon/lime, 2 tbsp agave nectar, some dulse/omega oils) when I'm taking EAA's?

The reason I'm asking is I currently use brown rice which I understand is slow digesting protein. Was thinking of switching over to soy protein (or replacing the water with soy milk). I read in another thread it was faster digesting, but want to know if it's even worth having anything besides the EAA's before I order anything up?

Also: should I be taking EAA's on rest days? (and if so when's the best time of day to take them? and should it be the same amount as workout days?)

EAA should be taken on an empty stomach to get the optimal effect. You should not take anything else with it unless you really need to use some maltoshit or stuff like that. Take around 10 grams right before and about 10 grams right after then eat something (5-60 minutes afterwards). Around training you want to stimulate your acute muscle protein synthesis and 10 grams of EAA will maximize this on it's own.

Brown rice protein is great to use instead of or to complement a meal. Make sure you use it together with legumes (soymilk for example).

EAA can be taken on resting days, I use it all days mostly to boost my protein intake. If you use it on resting days you can take it together with a meal.

Good stuff, I'm getting there slowly. Last week I was having a big buckwheat pancake/soy milk in the morning, then a big energy bar 20-30mins before workout (any closer I'd feel it coming back up during warmup). I now have that breakfast later in the day, and switched the energy bar for a fuel bite (dates/coconut oil/lemon juice/yerba mate for caffeine). It's a truely tiny portion I have though (just less than 1 date, 1 tsp oil, drops of lemon juice, 1/3tsp yerba per serving). I have EAA's then this immediately before I start. I feel a lot cleaner and less bogged down during.

Immediately when I finish I have the EAA's. By the time I make my recovery drink, it's prob 5 mins later anyway. I'll start adding soy milk into it.

Thinking about bumping up the caffeine for next week.. How long does it take to "kick in"? Should I continue taking it immediately pre-workout?

Btw, cheers for your help man, the questions must be getting annoying by now. I'm completely new to supplements haha

• 10 months later...

Started on beta alanine today. Tingling started within 10 mins haha.

Currently taking creatine/1tbsp EAA's pre (will be adding BA too), 1tbsp EAA's then a recovery drink post.

I'll report within a week or 2 whether I'm noticing any difference from the BA.