What gym do you work out at?

jzt83

I currently workout at the YMCA. I kind of want to work out at 24 hr fitness for their convenient hours, but the employees there tend to be very rude and pushy. Also, they've been converting a lot of locations to "Super Sport" and people with the pre-paid "all acess pass" either have to pay a higher rate or have to renew their membership all together, which I find very sneaky. I've also read of other bad experiences such as people having difficulty canceling their membership and other horrible behavior.

I have a old Bally's membership that's $100/year, so I keep it for convenience.

I also have a membership at Anytime Fitness, good for those late nights when I can't leave work until after 10 PM.

Got some stuff at home and at work, I do a bit of training there when I need to.

I'm also the master and finding ways to get free passes to every other gym in town, so I've always got at least 1-2 in my bag in case I feel like changing things up!

If I had my pick, I'd have my own gym here at our warehouse, maybe someday...

I work at my school's gym, which is really nice, but before I got to school I would work out at 2 different 24 Hours. They were alright, but I'm spoiled at my school. There's the same problems at 24 (and my school for that matter) there that you'll find at any health club.

I work at a university and use their gym. Pretty convenient for me because I can just take a long lunch in the afternoon and go work out. Very good selection of free weights too, but there are plenty of days where the squat and power racks are too busy.

The gym does get absolutely packed after 5 though.

I did work out at a World Gym, but moved 45mins away from it. So I was working out at my school's gym, which is the worst gym ever. The equipment is always broken (even the free weights are falling apart) generally, it's not a very safe environment to workout in....So, I just joined a RetroFitness, it seems pretty nice. It's similar to the World Gym, and the equipment is not broken (all of it is new actually). plus , they have much more of a variety of things, so I can switch it up more often.

• 2 weeks later...

I practically grew up at the YMCA (Newport News). My dad used to be really into lifting and I was there with him nearly everyday. He won several local Squat competitions. Later, my old roommate and I would go there several times a week, until I moved out and he moved away. When I began working in the fire department, I would usually work out at the station, and/or at home with the few weights I had purchased. It's easy to get worn out at the station just from running calls all day, so it got harder and harder to have the energy to work out there, and I began losing the necessary motivation and focus to work out at home. So I've since rejoined the YMCA. It's better not having distractions like bells going off, interrupting your workout, or things to do at home that destroy your focus.

I workout at World's Gym, even though I live a single block away from the YMCA. I'm mainly over there since they have 100lb plates and 150lb dumbs. Before that I was over at an Athletic Club in the mall I work at, but found the people there were way too focused on socializing.

I should go check the pricing out at the YMCA and pickup a year pass, just to have an alternative.

• 2 months later...

Gyms I've used:

College/University Gyms - By far the most convenient. If you're not a student but have a college/university nearby, ask if you can pay to use their gym. The college I went to had non-PE students paying $15 per quarter to use the gym (great fee), and the gym at the university I go to is free for students.

Anytime Fitness - This place is only staffed during regular office hours (9-5, usually) and is otherwise locked...but not closed. Members are given a little key fob to have keyless entry into the gym. You are recorded when you step into the gym so don't start bringing in friends to workout with you for free...great way to have your membership revoked. The upside to this is you can workout anytime, and usually going at odd hours allows you to have the gym to yourself, so all the equipment and everything is ready to use without having to wait. The downside is that you don't have a spotter available. For this reason, AF puts a smith machine in there, and it's the only way you can do squats. It's good enough, but I personally don't like anything guiding me...I'm a free-weights woman!

Military Gym - By far, the best one I've used, but unless you have access to a military base, it won't do you any good to hear about it.

Home Gym - I like in an apartment on the 2nd floor, so I don't have a squat rack or dead lift rack or anything. My flatmate and I have a bench, a preacher curl attachment, leg extension and leg curl at the end of the bench, a flat bar, and an EZ bar. We have two 35lb DBs, two 10lb DBs, and 2 sets of DBs where we can add plate weights. I would like a squat rack and a military press setup, but am otherwise able to do all my muscle groups without a problem.

The 24/7 fitness is better equipped but the student gym has hotter girls so I'm always torn between the two.
If you're going to the gym to check out hotties, then you are wasting your time in the gym. Plus, most women don't like to be ogled by yet another douche bag, especially while they're trying to get in a good workout. It's distracting and enraging.

If you're going to the gym to check out hotties, then you are wasting your time in the gym. Plus, most women don't like to be ogled by yet another douche bag, especially while they're trying to get in a good workout. It's distracting and enraging.

Actually, I go to a university gym, and a lot of the girls there specifically go there to be ogled, and to chat up the varsity athletes. There are a ton of girls in full makeup and unnecessarily revealing clothing doing unjustifiably light intensity exercise and spending half an hour between exercises chatting. There's a very clear delineation between the girls who are there to get in a good workout, and the ones who are there to show off. You can really tell who's there to work hard.

Besides, xjohanx doesn't waste his time in the gym

There's a very clear delineation between the girls who are there to get in a good workout, and the ones who are there to show off. You can really tell who's there to work hard.
Agreed...but if leave checking out the ladies for when you're not in there throwing weights around. It's like screwing around online when you should be doing homework...it can be done, but is done better without!

There's a very clear delineation between the girls who are there to get in a good workout, and the ones who are there to show off. You can really tell who's there to work hard

I go to the gym to show off my hard work. Then people can see how hot, uninterested and focused I am. It's just a different type of show off

But there are girls that pay the membership just to wear tight clothing around juicers full of testosterone. Eww.

I go to the gym to show off my hard work. Then people can see how hot, uninterested and focused I am. It's just a different type of show off

But there are girls that pay the membership just to wear tight clothing around juicers full of testosterone. Eww.

It's way worse at my university gym, because a) they don't have to pay a membership, and b) we're talking about mostly 18-22 year-olds.

There's a very clear delineation between the girls who are there to get in a good workout, and the ones who are there to show off. You can really tell who's there to work hard.
Agreed...but if leave checking out the ladies for when you're not in there throwing weights around. It's like screwing around online when you should be doing homework...it can be done, but is done better without!

Would you ignore me if i talked to you?

I work out at a wellness center that's affiliated with one of the local hospitals. I really like it there for the most part. They offer some services that some of the other gyms in the area don't like hydrostatic weighing and measuring VO2 and metabolic rate. MOST people do go there to work out, but as I'm pretty sure there is everywhere, there are always the scantily clad heavily made up crowd and then there are the serious ones.