Improving the immune system

Paige

Since turning vegan I have noticed a significant increase in colds and flus. Does anyone have any tips on improving the immune system? I was reading that it may be a lack of amino acids due to my vegan diet. Does anyone have any insight on this?

The opposite actually happened for me. I used to get sick all the time but then I went vegan and I get sick a lot less often. When I do get sick, it's quite mild and only lasts a day or two.

I take a vegan multi-vitamin, echinacea when I feel an illness coming on, get lots of sleep, keep warm, stay active, and eat lots of fruits and vegetables.

I also wash my hands a lot. Especially at work because I touch dirty keyboards and phones all the time. If you are around a lot of people everyday, try taking some echinacea or zinc to give your immune system a boost. A lot of people don't wash after going to the bathroom or cover their mouth when they cough. People are gross.

Oh hell yeah I know the answer to this. Vegan does not equal healthy. Vegan just means on the right track. A lot of vegans are not healthy but so are a lot of non vegans. This is because they share the same food philosophy. This is junk food.

Stop refined sugars and grains. They rob you from the nutrients that your body needs, they increase inflammation which is the cuase of most disease and last but not least it suppresses your immune system. The key is to learn a little about nutrition and avoid as many added sugar sweets and boost of chlorophyll rich greens. Get good rest, keep stress low and do cardio because cardio brings oxygen to the cells to function and helps keep the blood circulating in order to get to the intruders faster.

STAY AWAY FROM SUGARS.... as much as possible. I am not talking about low sugar fruits I am talking about cupcakes and other process junk. It may taste good but your gonna get more colds.

Oh and last but not least sometimes your body is going through a change which does cause minor stress to the body so give it sometime because our body does have a detox period.

I went from Fast Food all American diet and became vegan overnight. Boy that was a shocker to the body!

ahah, I predict there will be some vehement criticism to Rainra's post by certain members, including one with the letter Z, and another whose name is in the middle of 2 "x".

I actually agree with his post pretty much entirely.

You have to remember, i'm the one with the liver disease who's been told my only option is a liver transplant in the near future, yet i'm still kickin' because of diet and exercise. So, I'm not so different from you.

Immune system health is a direct reflection of basic health habits like adequate rest, adequate water, exercise, stress control and nutrition. Paige, since you are new I am guessing maybe you aren't getting enough of everything you need. My advice is to read one or two good vegan nutrition texts, write down what you have to get and keep a record of what you do get until it becomes a habit:

http://beforewisdom.com/blog/?page_id=462

ahah, I predict there will be some vehement criticism to Rainra's post by certain members, including one with the letter Z, and another whose name is in the middle of 2 "x".

I actually agree with his post pretty much entirely.

You have to remember, i'm the one with the liver disease who's been told my only option is a liver transplant in the near future, yet i'm still kickin' because of diet and exercise. So, I'm not so different from you.

I agree with the post as well. Refined sugars and carbs are no good for ya. If you get sick a lot, it's time to kick those foods out of the diet!

Yesterday I had a root beer and felt soo gross after drinking it! Blahhh!

The opposite actually happened for me. I used to get sick all the time but then I went vegan and I get sick a lot less often. When I do get sick, it's quite mild and only lasts a day or two.

Yeah I'm the same, never been properly ill since I went vegan, most I've had is a cough for a couple of days. However I'd say for the first 10-12 months this was purely coincidence because I wasn't eating great. Recently though since I've started exercising I've gotten my food sorted out, drinking plenty of water, get plenty of rest. I'm not saying that because I'm vegan I'll never get ill, but it's already reduced the rate at which I get ill vastly and will continue to do so.

Don't really know with what I should disagree with. Less processed food, more whole foods would mean more nutrients which is good for your immune system. Excersise is good in moderate amounts, of course not exhausting excersise when the person actually is sick but when recovered it should be a high priority. The one thing I do want to add is the importance of getting enough sleep.

Here is the "boast your immune system" nutrients.

Vitamin C rich foods like Oranges, Grapefruit, Cantaloupe, Strawberries, and Papaya

Vitamin E rich foods, Seeds, Oils and grains (usually need to supplement daily to get enough)

Carotenoids - Carrots, Sweet potatoes, Kale (all Vegans should eat Kale daily it is a super food), spinach, greens, and tomatoes

Vit C, Vit E and Beta Caratine are Cancer fighting nutrients as well. The battle free radicals and is quite fascinating how they work together. Eat up!!

Zinc rich foods - Beans, and fortified cereals

Selenium rich foods - Whole grains, brown rice, sunflower seeds, brazil nuts and garlic

Omega 3 - Flax seed (all vegans should eat this daily)

Spices to reduce seasonal allergies and colds - Garlic, Cayenne pepper, and Ginger are good

Now looking over the list and thinking to myself, what nutrients are probably the weakest in a vegan diet that is not designed for good health. In my opinion I was say ZINC and OMEGA 3. I know a lot of Vegans that don't even eat beans outside of tofu, and Flax is the highest plant food for Omega 3 but how many Vegans do not eat it daily. Just my thoughts really.

BTW I haven't had a cold or flu in almost 10 years. But my diet is not the only reason.

My diet's become crap all week with all the Christmas goodies I've been eating.. I baked cookies and ate probably half the batch.. Maybe more! Lol!

Christmas always comes around my time of the month and I can't resist the goodies. I need to be locked up!!!

Yep Christmas cookies are so dangerous. Ate enough food on Christmas day for three days lol I made vegan lasagna for Christmas eve and it turned out really good. My husband and son actually liked it, they are not vegetarians, but I told them I wanted a meal for me this year, not having to make two separate ones.

Also one good thing about dieting, it never goes out of style lol

Wow! thanks for all the great tips. It seems that echinecea, zinc lozenges and cherry tree bark did the trick. And you were right, too many goodies during the holidays (evaporated cane juice is still sugar) did not help either. I often forget that as a vegan we have to be especially vigilent in getting our nutrients.