Vegans/Vegetarians That Smoke

Ryofire

http://caloriecount.about.com/vegans-vegetarians-smoke-ft113974

This was quite an interesting link to read other's opinions on this specific topic. However, like I've said in many other posts before, it's really ignorant and hypocritical that anyone would call themselves vegetarian/vegan and smoke. Despite our complicated relationship I lost my grandmother to emphyzema caused by smoking. She smoked ever since she was 11 and continued to do so even when she was on oxygen.

Also as someone who is going into the health field I even see those who are doctors and nurse smoking. Like someone said in the link above, "many doctors smoke and they're in the best position to see the damage caused."

To be fair I just want to see that you can't just quit, nicotine is a physically addicting substance.

Nicotine withdrawls include:

An intense craving for nicotine

Tension

Irritability

Headaches

Difficulty in concentrating

Drowsiness and trouble sleeping

Increased appetite and weight gain

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One more thing that I want to mention is that it is also a matter of animal rights too. I often join the M.A.R.C (Massachusetts Animal Rights Coalition) to partake in several protests against Harvard University. With us there are even doctors and other fellow enviornmental chemists, biologists, scientists, etc who opose it as well. The reason is simply because Harvard University is responsible for horrific experiments done to primates.

One of these experiments is seeing how primates react to not only cigarettes, but to more severe drugs such as cocaine.

That being said I've said my opinion on the subject, so I wish to read other's opinions. And as always if you are are going to be disrespectful please don't comment at all.

As long as the tobacco is not tested on animals there is nothing hypocritical about it. Most major brands do use animal tests but I'm told it's pretty easy to find tobacco that isn't. It's unhealthy and may be a bad idea but nothing un-vegan about it. I think one tension is those coming at it solely from a moral position, or animal rights position, such as myself, don't see the same problem with smoking, as people who's veganism is also informed from a health perspective.

I don't necessarily find it hypocritical to smoke.. Unless of course, you go around touting how healthy a vegan diet is, and then smoke on a cigarette lol!

Or talk about the evils of animal testing.

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/796669-001.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=F5B5107058D53DF516A025D078C4FB36A2E27F27670EA650EA12057089F00539E30A760B0D811297

I don't necessarily find it hypocritical to smoke.. Unless of course, you go around touting how healthy a vegan diet is, and then smoke on a cigarette lol!

By the way Ryo, you mentioned that you're going into the health field. What are you studying?

I'm actually trying to get my certificate in Exercise and Health Science. I plan on becoming either a personal trainer/health and life fitness consulant. Once I get a steady enough carreer going I would love to pursue a voice acting career. I actually have some impressions videos on youtube. The account name is the same as my profile name here.

One thing that also really upsets me is that I take veganism very seriously not just as a dietary preferance, but as a way of life. Unfortunatly there are those who give veganism a bad name. Especially those hipster douchebags who annoy the fuck out of us all. It's like how are you going to be so concerned about what goes into your body and yet put such garbage into it by smoking.

Also how are you going to say you're against the torture and mistreatment of animals, but yet you support the torture, mistreatment, and murder of your own species. I understand tobacco is a major import/export, but as I mentioned before I have not only lost my grandmother to smoking, but several other family members, extended family members and even friends to smoking. Unfortunatly that's how corporate greed works. Like McDonald's, they don't care about the health of their customers, they just care about making profit. They know how bad of a reputation they have, yet they try to pass themselves as something good, when in reality they are the very definition of evil. Selling death to someone is pure evil no matter who says it.

The sad part is that you can't just completly shut them down neither. Many people would lose their jobs as a result. And you know what happens when people lose their jobs.

The sad part is that you can't just completly shut them down neither....

really funny opinion. so killing is okay as long as it is your job? or at least you can't stop killing (animals, humans, whatever) cause that would lead to unemployment? sorry, you're missing the point. sometimes you have to set priorities.

The sad part is that you can't just completly shut them down neither....

really funny opinion. so killing is okay as long as it is your job? or at least you can't stop killing (animals, humans, whatever) cause that would lead to unemployment? sorry, you're missing the point. sometimes you have to set priorities.

When it comes to self defense that's a whole other issue of wheither killing is right or wrong. But if self defense is not involved than killing is wrong period no matter who does it.

And I never said, "killing is okay as long as it is your job." I was only saying that it's hard to deal with companies like the tobacco company because shutting them down completly would cause a lot of job losses and unemployment.

So please don't put words in my mouth.

It's like how are you going to be so concerned about what goes into your body and yet put such garbage into it by smoking.

To me veganism is nothing about health or keeping "garbage" out of my body. It's about not commodifying, oppressing, and exploiting animals.

Also how are you going to say you're against the torture and mistreatment of animals, but yet you support the torture, mistreatment, and murder of your own species. I understand tobacco is a major import/export, but as I mentioned before I have not only lost my grandmother to smoking, but several other family members, extended family members and even friends to smoking. Unfortunatly(sic) that's how corporate greed works. Like McDonald's, they don't care about the health of their customers, they just care about making profit. They know how bad of a reputation they have, yet they try to pass themselves as something good, when in reality they are the very definition of evil. Selling death to someone is pure evil no matter who says it.

Yes, tobacco companies have engaged in unethical behavior, much like many other companies. Hell capitalism has turned corn producers into an dietary evil empire, damaging our health in many ways, but corn isn't wrong. People are going to use a plants a wide variety of reasons - nice to look at, eat, in religious ceremonies, as medicine, to get high, maybe even smoke. saying that smoking a plant is un-vegan or hypocritical is just silly. are you going to bust into sheesha lounges and yell at people for having a relaxing time. maybe shut down a Cree Sacred Pipe ceremony

As long as the tobacco isn't tested on animals it's as vegan as rice and beans.

It's like how are you going to be so concerned about what goes into your body and yet put such garbage into it by smoking.

To me veganism is nothing about health or keeping "garbage" out of my body. It's about not commodifying, oppressing, and exploiting animals.

Also how are you going to say you're against the torture and mistreatment of animals, but yet you support the torture, mistreatment, and murder of your own species. I understand tobacco is a major import/export, but as I mentioned before I have not only lost my grandmother to smoking, but several other family members, extended family members and even friends to smoking. Unfortunatly(sic) that's how corporate greed works. Like McDonald's, they don't care about the health of their customers, they just care about making profit. They know how bad of a reputation they have, yet they try to pass themselves as something good, when in reality they are the very definition of evil. Selling death to someone is pure evil no matter who says it.

Yes, tobacco companies have engaged in unethical behavior, much like many other companies. Hell capitalism has turned corn producers into an dietary evil empire, damaging our health in many ways, but corn isn't wrong. People are going to use a plants a wide variety of reasons - nice to look at, eat, in religious ceremonies, as medicine, to get high, maybe even smoke. saying that smoking a plant is un-vegan or hypocritical is just silly. are you going to bust into sheesha lounges and yell at people for having a relaxing time. maybe shut down a Cree Sacred Pipe ceremony

As long as the tobacco isn't tested on animals it's as vegan as rice and beans.

Rant on/

\Ok First off and this goes for everybody not just you Wobbly Lifter. Like I said earlier, please don't put words in my mouth. And for that maybe please read and understand all of what I said, rather than pick and choose what you want to read from what and make negative comments.

Rant off/

That being said Wobbly Lifter, you said, "to me veganism is nothing about health or keeping "garbage" out of my body. It's about not commodifying, oppressing, and exploiting animals." You were quoting what I said earlier, "how are you going to be so concerned about what goes into your body and yet put such garbage into it by smoking?"

What I ment by that was as vegans we're are already so concerned about eating animals, or anything that comes from an animals. Not to mention trying not to wear fur, leather, etc, as well as support animal testing and what not. But yet by supporting the tobacco company you're not helping any animal anywhere by supporting the tobbacco company. Not to mention you're not supporting any human neither by smoking or supporting the tobacco company.

I also agree with you when you said, "Hell capitalism has turned corn producers into an dietary evil empire, damaging our health in many ways, but corn isn't wrong." But let me ask you this, what about these plants, http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/plantanswers/publications/poison/poison.html. They're plants, but would you ingest them or put them into your body?

As far as the Sacred Cree Ceremonies go, as long as they're used for ceremonial purposes only than that's alright. However what I don't like is people who do it recreationally, because that's when it becomes unhealthy. And in regards to the Sheesha lounges (or Hookah lounges), like I mentioned earlier about the toabacco companies, "you can't just completly shut them down neither. Many people would lose their jobs as a result. And you know what happens when people lose their jobs."

I think the issue is we have very different values. I place personal agency and choice have above health in my concerns in this world. I think we need to let people do what they want to themselves. Some people enjoy smoking for stress relief, to relax, or a buzz, or even just the sensation and taste. We have to respect people to balance competing desires such as health, enjoyment, success, etc - and not place our own values over theirs. Just becuase is unhealthy unhealthy doesn't mean it's un-vegan? Is being obese un-vegan. Is playing football un-vegan(pro football players have very short lifespans due to head injuries)? etc?

Or course trying to find a good company to buy tobacco found can be difficult, but this is really no different then another product. also buying non-related products will support tobacco companies due to inter-investing. Phillip Morris owns kraft. so if you every buy kraft products you are supporting one of the worst tobacco companies in terms of public deception, animal testing, adding toxic additives, etc. But this goes for any number of products, and likewise many people own Phillip Morris and those people also own parts of many other companies. Buying anything could very well be supporting the same people that get rich from unethical tobacco companies. That's the nature of global capitalism. I see your issues with how tobacco companies act. But there isn't anything un-vegan about growing a plant in your back yard and smoking it. Buying tobacco is about as vegan as buying most other things, you'll probably need to look to find something not tested on animals but it can be done. What's un-vegan is the capitalist system, not smoking a plant.

To respond to your question I would not use those poisons as I prefer to remain alive at this time. However I have felt suicidal in the past and if I do again, well thanks for the link

ps. I am a non smoker. maybe have a bit sheesha every couple years, but no tobacco beyond that.

I think the issue is we have very different values. I place personal agency and choice have above health in my concerns in this world. I think we need to let people do what they want to themselves. Some people enjoy smoking for stress relief, to relax, or a buzz, or even just the sensation and taste. We have to respect people to balance competing desires such as health, enjoyment, success, etc - and not place our own values over theirs. Just becuase is unhealthy unhealthy doesn't mean it's un-vegan? Is being obese un-vegan. Is playing football un-vegan(pro football players have very short lifespans due to head injuries)? etc?

Or course trying to find a good company to buy tobacco found can be difficult, but this is really no different then another product. also buying non-related products will support tobacco companies due to inter-investing. Phillip Morris owns kraft. so if you every buy kraft products you are supporting one of the worst tobacco companies in terms of public deception, animal testing, adding toxic additives, etc. But this goes for any number of products, and likewise many people own Phillip Morris and those people also own parts of many other companies. Buying anything could very well be supporting the same people that get rich from unethical tobacco companies. That's the nature of global capitalism. I see your issues with how tobacco companies act. But there isn't anything un-vegan about growing a plant in your back yard and smoking it. Buying tobacco is about as vegan as buying most other things, you'll probably need to look to find something not tested on animals but it can be done. What's un-vegan is the capitalist system, not smoking a plant.

To respond to your question I would not use those poisons as I prefer to remain alive at this time. However I have felt suicidal in the past and if I do again, well thanks for the link

ps. I am a non smoker. maybe have a bit sheesha every couple years, but no tobacco beyond that.

Fair enough.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to smoke 10 spliffs & 10 cigarettes a day.

When you smoke a spliff without a filter, the nicotine & tar that makes it into your lungs is roughly 9 times that of what makes it through if there is a filter.

On that basis I smoked the equivalent tar & nicotine of 100 cigarettes, per day - for 8 years.

I became seriously ill 5 years ago (no surprises what caused that) and gave up smoking completely in 1 day.I have never smoked since.It was a VERY EASY transition.

While I cannot argue against the fact that nicotine is addictive, people who cant stop smoking because its "so hard" just have very weak willpower.

Its 95% willpower, 5% physical.

We all care alot about animals, but we musnt forget that we are also 'animals', and tobacco companies live off the profit of abuse and death of humans, as such are just as bad as the meat industry, in my opinion.

All that being said, there are alot of things that people do that are dangerous to their health for recreation.Like drinking alcohol, even something like skiing is an 'unnecesary health risk'

I would say, from a liberal point of view (not mine) , you could say that an occasional smoke, or drink might be ok.

As my good old gran used to say:

"Its the abuse of these things that is wrong"

Would anyone have a problem with banning tobacco and legalizing marijuana?Something tells me if they did they would start testing marijuana on animals and adding crap to it like with cigarettes.I don't smoke anything but i still think weed should be legalized and tobacco banned.

Lloyd for most of my life I shared the same view, but having experince of weed, I am aware that in a considerable number of users it causes depression.Not good.So I am now anti-weed, from being pro-weed.

Just where i'm at now.

Lloyd for most of my life I shared the same view, but having experince of weed, I am aware that in a considerable number of users it causes depression.Not good.So I am now anti-weed, from being pro-weed.

Just where i'm at now.

Agreed either way it sucks.

I got depressed when i used to smoke a lot of weed but i had a reason to feel pathetic because i was.Weed really makes you think about your life.I was going downhill fast until i got depressed and instead of ending myself i chose to evolve all i can and that included stopping drinking, smoking and taking drugs.but that's just my take on it.

The thing people always mis-judge is the whole, "its mother natures plant" & "its natural" crap.

So is opium, and a whole host of other plants that can kill us when taken.Not everything "mother nature" pushes out of the ground is for our benefit.Infact "mother nature" couldnt give a crap what we want.

• 3 weeks later...
We all care alot about animals, but we musnt forget that we are also 'animals', and tobacco companies live off the profit of abuse and death of humans

So, the problem is tobacco companies (testing on animals, advertising, adding toxic ingredients, etc.), not smoking itself. You can't project your own values onto others and say that smoking is self-abuse. There are plenty of fun things people do that could be labeled an "unnecessary risk'', yet I see few protest those - why? Not everyone wants to be a health nut and live 100 years.