Vegans/Vegetarians That Smoke

Ryofire

zebra i agree with your comment but most of the main tobacco companies aim cigarette sales at children in africa because they can get away with it. Thats not cool mate, so yes the companies are bad.

You also say people do other dangerous things for recreation too. So what is your point? That its ok to take unnecesary risks for enjoyment? Im not sure families who have lost their partner/father to lung cancer would agree.

I am afraid that if you have a family, people who care about you, then smoking is a selfish act.

Look, im not hating on smokers, hell, I smoked for 10 years myself, but I class myself as being a selfish idiot then.Now I have grown up I see my loved ones as being way more important that smoking, and in the end, thats the choice you are making when you smoke.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

zebra i agree with your comment but most of the main tobacco companies aim cigarette sales at children in africa because they can get away with it. Thats not cool mate, so yes the companies are bad.

You also say people do other dangerous things for recreation too. So what is your point? That its ok to take unnecesary risks for enjoyment? Im not sure families who have lost their partner/father to lung cancer would agree.

I am afraid that if you have a family, people who care about you, then smoking is a selfish act.

Look, im not hating on smokers, hell, I smoked for 10 years myself, but I class myself as being a selfish idiot then.Now I have grown up I see my loved ones as being way more important that smoking, and in the end, thats the choice you are making when you smoke.

I have to say DaN I once again completly agree with you. You have to think of your loved ones and family. But like the song says, "family is wheither related or not." Sometimes close friends can be like family.

Unfortunatly there are those who give veganism a bad name. Especially those hipster douchebags who annoy the fuck out of us all. It's like how are you going to be so concerned about what goes into your body and yet put such garbage into it by smoking.

I'm annoyed by all the purist-vegan douchebags who try to dictate what other people can or can't do. And in the opinion of most non-vegan people it's the purist-vegan-dictator douchebags who give vegans a bad name. Influencing others is most effective if it's positive, leting people make their own decisions, not by calling other names or moralizing them.

I'm annoyed by all the purist-vegan douchebags who try to dictate what other people can or can't do. And in the opinion of most non-vegan people it's the purist-vegan-dictator douchebags who give vegans a bad name. Influencing others is most effective if it's positive, leting people make their own decisions, not by calling other names or moralizing them.

Im not really sure what you are trying to convey with the word "dictate"

The only purpose of my analysis of smokers was to point out that by choosing to smoke, you are risking your life and the inevitable sadness to loved ones, if you were to fall ill, for the sake of a habit that is nothing more than a luxury. Its strange how many smokers regard smoking as a lifestyle, or a part of their personality, or something that is somehow needed to improve their happiness (sounds even more pathetic when you write it down) when infact it is just what I called it; a "luxury" And I use that word with a sense of sarcasm. As an ex-smoker I feel qualified to make these statements without fear of being too far from the truth.

I hope my post did not come across as "dictating", rather as simply the truth, my opinion, or at a stretch, advice.

Unfortunatly there are those who give veganism a bad name. Especially those hipster douchebags who annoy the fuck out of us all. It's like how are you going to be so concerned about what goes into your body and yet put such garbage into it by smoking.

First off the old saying goes, "no self respecting hipster would admit to being a hipster." And quite frankly it's not actually a good thing to be a hipster.

I'm not trying to tell people what to do or what not to do. I have to go out and say that it's horrible when people whant to justify why smoking is so good. The truth is that it's not good at all, no matter who says it. I have seen too many people in my life die from smoking cigarettes. I have have also seen a lot of people's lives fucked up from doing drugs like marijuana. And the lame excuses I hear do not help the matter at hand neither, "it's natural," "it comes from the earth," or "it comes from a plant."

Well guess what, Sulfur comes from the earth and so does carbon monoxide (which is one of the main products of cigarettes). Another natural thing is liquid hot magma (or lava by it's surface name) and comes from the very center of the earth. And their is also Poison Ivy, Oak, and even Hemlock which are plants which are very poisonous or could cause severe itching and rash. I would hope that people would aware of these things.

No..weed isn't good for you and neither is cycling 20km's in traffic! Life would be boring without little vices in my opinion, rather in the same way that people who dont have their little vices are passionless, dull individuals on the whole

Nobody is saying smoking is good. We are saying freedom of choice is better then being a purist control freak. Some people enjoy smoking despite it's possible health consequences. Nobody can make the choice of weather that is worthwhile except the person doing it. Many of the sports here may be bad for long term health, and many people die doing sports. Rarely but regularly. All choices have risks and rewards, it's up to each of us to balance that for our selves. It's not up to Ryofire.

not simply to stir the pot, but I'm with Ryofire. I understand the whole "people need the right to make a choice", but when those choices harm other things, I personally feel like they're bad choices, and I'm not alone. I'm not saying that there should be dire consequences for poor choices (safe for the health risks involved), but I am all for removing the "bad" choices.

smoking is simply fucking stupid, gross and dangerous. Yes, its legal, and therefore people have the "right" to do it, but I, for one would be thrilled if that were no longer an option. That said, my only drug is endorphins. And whatever drugs the hospitals feed me when I need to get my CT scans for cancer checkups. Other than that, drugs are pure shit.

holy straightedge! (I'm really not a dick, I swear!)

Or, to put it as Raid so eloquently put it 15 years ago "your right ends where anothers begins"

Life would be boring without little vices in my opinion, rather in the same way that people who dont have their little vices are passionless, dull individuals on the whole

As I predicted, here is another great excuse given by smokers..... the whole life would be boring without vices, and people who dont smoke, do drugs or drink alcohol are passionless, dull individuals.

I hear the same thing from meat eaters about not eating meat - that my life must be boring, dull, passionless, etc.

Wow, the noob train keeps on rolling on.

As I predicted, here is another great excuse given by smokers..... the whole life would be boring without vices, and people who dont smoke, do drugs or drink alcohol are passionless, dull individuals.

For the record, I don't smoke, drink or do drugs. And I still don't like purists.

not simply to stir the pot, but I'm with Ryofire. I understand the whole "people need the right to make a choice", but when those choices harm other things, I personally feel like they're bad choices, and I'm not alone. I'm not saying that there should be dire consequences for poor choices (safe for the health risks involved), but I am all for removing the "bad" choices.

smoking is simply fucking stupid, gross and dangerous. Yes, its legal, and therefore people have the "right" to do it, but I, for one would be thrilled if that were no longer an option. That said, my only drug is endorphins. And whatever drugs the hospitals feed me when I need to get my CT scans for cancer checkups. Other than that, drugs are pure shit.

Or, to put it as Raid so eloquently put it 15 years ago "your right ends where anothers begins"

Wait, how does smoking(or other drug use) in your home or outside harm others? No one else has to inhale or ingest your drugs if you are respectful about use.

And how would you make it "no longer an option" without "dire consequences"? Hell their are already potentially dire consequences for using most drugs(like jail), why not add another drug....

Wait, how does smoking(or other drug use) in your home or outside harm others? No one else has to inhale or ingest your drugs if you are respectful about use.

And how would you make it "no longer an option" without "dire consequences"? Hell their are already potentially dire consequences for using most drugs(like jail), why not add another drug....

Well, as far as "no longer an option" I would rather mean something along the lines of prohibition. Or at least stop making things so accessible. Truthfully, Im super ok with chewing tobacco. No exhaust fumes for me to deal with. And I'd WAY rather marijuana legalized and tobacco/alcohol outlawed than things be the way they are now.

And smoking outside just means there are cigarette butts everywhere. gross. and not eye pleasing. True, if you're respectful about use I won't be upset. I'm beyond the point of expecting respect from the general public.

And no, I dont dislike people that smoke on a personal level. Just like I dont dislike omnivores on a personal level. I dont agree with their actions, but I don't hold it against them (not too much, anyhow).

It's kinda the same as veganism. Once you know the truth about animal cruelty, how can you go back to eating them? Same with smoking/drinking. It's not good for you, nor the environment, nor the animals these things are tested on. If you can acknowledge that, and still do it, something is a bit "off" in your reasoning.

(Note; "You", "your" and "you're" are meant to imply general public, not any one person in particular.)

candyflip wrote:

For the record, I don't smoke, drink or do drugs. And I still don't like purists.

I dont really know what you mean by purists.

The word 'pure' in english means untainted. Do you only like people who have some kind of flaw?

On a broader note, wobbly lifter wrote:

I value freedom above health

I kind of agree m8. It is better that people have choice, rather than being forced into things, in general. Similarily, I feel its important that people who see smoking for what it is (stupid) have the freedom to tell smokers how stupid they think they are. The door swings both ways.

Someone wrote - if people are smoking or doing drugs in their own home, what harm are they doing anybody else. I used to think that. But if you think about it, you are harming your loved ones, because you are greatly increasing your chances of serious physical or mental illness. Also, while you are doing drugs etc, I have found from experience, you are neglecting the people around you and not being the person they deserve you to be. Drugs make people selfish, ive seen that so many times. Until you have the clarity of knowledge that I do, you may not be able to understand this point, and thats ok. Its taken me years to see things the way they really are.

The decision to do drugs and smoke is a stupid decision.

I think all drugs should be decriminalized...not just those that the government decriminalize because of their financial potential. Adults should be free to make their own choices as long as it doesn't harm others. I've had people criticize me for smoking weed when they eat absolute crap all day and never exercise... while I eat healthy organic food and exercise. I smoke weed but I dont drink. I'm quite aware of the health risks of smoking but I'm also aware of the health risks of eating non-organic food or things high in sugar, saturated fats, binge drinking etc. I rarely eat any of that crap, I just smoke organic bud. So, on the grand scale of things i consider myself to lead a relatively healthy lifestyle, despite smoking spliffs.

I'm sure there is no-one here who doesn't have thier little "unhealthy" treats..and if there is, live a little!!!

this is pretty much the point in the thread where either we agree to disagree or name calling starts and feelings get hurt.

I'm ready to bow out. I made my choice and other people have made theirs. I know where I stand, as do others. When it comes down to it, its all a matter of opinion, and, as we all know, we can sit here and argue opinion all day, and still no one will be right.

when someone is smoking in a no smoking area (which happens ALL THE TIME- namely, the within 30 feet of entrances, when signs are posted) or when someone spills beer on me, you can bet I'll say something. Likewise, when I spill my delicious high in saturated fat vegan milkshake on someone, they can say something to me. I'm ok with that. Or maybe it's more like breathing in a sick vegan fart. ha.

but yes, carry on. no one is going to change unless they're ready and willing to do so. No one can force change without resentment. Anyone that has tried to convince someone that didn't want to hear it that veganism is way better can attest to that.

Nobody is saying smoking is good. We are saying freedom of choice is better then being a purist control freak. Some people enjoy smoking despite it's possible health consequences. Nobody can make the choice of weather that is worthwhile except the person doing it. Many of the sports here may be bad for long term health, and many people die doing sports. Rarely but regularly. All choices have risks and rewards, it's up to each of us to balance that for our selves. It's not up to Ryofire.

Did you not read my previous posts? I never said at all we should outlaw smoking. All I'm saying is that smoking is bad period. I no longer need to justify or further explain myself.

I have to agree with candyflip on this!

Sometimes vegans are such purist, holier than thou, up their own f**king arses twats!!

+1.

What I got out of DaN's and Ryofire's arguments is that rock climbing = smoking. Both are totally unnecessary and pose substantial risks. Thus we should think about our families and quit.

And yet, for some unknown reason, I don't see anyone crusading against rock climbing.

What I got out of DaN's and Ryofire's arguments is that rock climbing = smoking

Interesting thing to have got out of my points considering I never mentioned rock climbing, in this post, this forum, any forum on the internet, any discussion at any time of my life, and infact in any thought process i've ever had.

Both are totally unnecessary and pose substantial risks.

You said it. And yet after making such a perfect statement of logic, you then continue to try and work around it to justify smoking - lol.

Dear zebra..

I think the reason no-one is suggesting a ban on rock climbing, is the very thing you mentioned -the element of substantial risk. You put rock climbing and smoking in the same bracket of substantial risk, but you need to go look at some statistics before you create an opinion, because if you create opinions without any foundation then your opinion is likely going to be wrong.

I hear this sentence alot from smokers:

"I could go out tomorrow and be hit by a bus, so why worry about smoking"

An absolute classic.

So the 1 in 1.6 million chance of being hit and killed by a bus is equal to the 1 in 15 chance of dying from smoking?

Rock climbing is a risk, but a relatively minor one. Smoking is a HUGE risk. Atleast rock climbing is good for your health, and provides a good social advantage, making friends with other extreme sports lovers. Combine it with the low risk and overall I would say its a good hobby. Plus it truly doesnt put anyone elses health at risk, unlike smoking.

Again I have made my point absolutely logical and clear. When are you guys just gonna admit smoking is stupid?

I have to agree with candyflip on this!

Sometimes vegans are such purist, holier than thou, up their own f**king arses twats!!

+1.

What I got out of DaN's and Ryofire's arguments is that rock climbing = smoking. Both are totally unnecessary and pose substantial risks. Thus we should think about our families and quit.

And yet, for some unknown reason, I don't see anyone crusading against rock climbing.

Yea I never said anything about rock climbing neither. And as far as the purist insults go., I have this to say. While others fear the darkness, there are those who fear the light.

Interesting thing to have got out of my points considering I never mentioned rock climbing, in this post, this forum, any forum on the internet, any discussion at any time of my life, and infact in any thought process i've ever had.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inference

You said it. And yet after making such a perfect statement of logic, you then continue to try and work around it to justify smoking - lol.

No „working around“ needed here - both rock climbing and smoking pose serious risks, yet only smoking is demonized. That's was my point.

Dear zebra..

Condescension won't make your arguments more convincing.

I think the reason no-one is suggesting a ban on rock climbing, is the very thing you mentioned -the element of substantial risk. You put rock climbing and smoking in the same bracket of substantial risk, but you need to go look at some statistics before you create an opinion, because if you create opinions without any foundation then your opinion is likely going to be wrong.

I hear this sentence alot from smokers:

"I could go out tomorrow and be hit by a bus, so why worry about smoking"

An absolute classic.

So the 1 in 1.6 million chance of being hit and killed by a bus is equal to the 1 in 15 chance of dying from smoking?

I never said that rock climbing is as risky as smoking. What I did say was that it's a personal choice whether to take the risk or not.

Rock climbing is a risk, but a relatively minor one. Smoking is a HUGE risk. Atleast rock climbing is good for your health, and provides a good social advantage, making friends with other extreme sports lovers. Combine it with the low risk and overall I would say its a good hobby. Plus it truly doesnt put anyone elses health at risk, unlike smoking.

Yes, and if someone is willing to take that risk - it's none of your business. And there's no reason for anyone to smoke in places where other people can inhale the smoke.

The issue remains - even though rock climbing poses a far smaller risk than smoking, it's still unnecessary and those of us who love our families and friends should refrain from it, right?

Again I have made my point absolutely logical and clear. When are you guys just gonna admit smoking is stupid?

Again I have made my point absolutely logical and clear. When are you guys just gonna admit smoking is a personal choice?