Vegans/Vegetarians That Smoke

Ryofire

Interesting thing to have got out of my points considering I never mentioned rock climbing, in this post, this forum, any forum on the internet, any discussion at any time of my life, and infact in any thought process i've ever had.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inference

You said it. And yet after making such a perfect statement of logic, you then continue to try and work around it to justify smoking - lol.

No „working around“ needed here - both rock climbing and smoking pose serious risks, yet only smoking is demonized. That's was my point.

Dear zebra..

Condescension won't make your arguments more convincing.

I think the reason no-one is suggesting a ban on rock climbing, is the very thing you mentioned -the element of substantial risk. You put rock climbing and smoking in the same bracket of substantial risk, but you need to go look at some statistics before you create an opinion, because if you create opinions without any foundation then your opinion is likely going to be wrong.

I hear this sentence alot from smokers:

"I could go out tomorrow and be hit by a bus, so why worry about smoking"

An absolute classic.

So the 1 in 1.6 million chance of being hit and killed by a bus is equal to the 1 in 15 chance of dying from smoking?

I never said that rock climbing is as risky as smoking. What I did say was that it's a personal choice whether to take the risk or not.

Rock climbing is a risk, but a relatively minor one. Smoking is a HUGE risk. Atleast rock climbing is good for your health, and provides a good social advantage, making friends with other extreme sports lovers. Combine it with the low risk and overall I would say its a good hobby. Plus it truly doesnt put anyone elses health at risk, unlike smoking.

Yes, and if someone is willing to take that risk - it's none of your business. And there's no reason for anyone to smoke in places where other people can inhale the smoke.

The issue remains - even though rock climbing poses a far smaller risk than smoking, it's still unnecessary and those of us who love our families and friends should refrain from it, right?

Again I have made my point absolutely logical and clear. When are you guys just gonna admit smoking is stupid?

Again I have made my point absolutely logical and clear. When are you guys just gonna admit smoking is a personal choice?

Ok smoking is a personal choice, a very bad personal choice I will add.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok smoking is a personal choice, a very bad personal choice I will add.

Couldn't have said it better.

Now we have admitted that it is a personal choice, maybe you should man up and admit its also stupid.

Now we have admitted that it is a personal choice, maybe you should man up and admit its also stupid.

Stupid is relative. If optimal health and longevity are priorities in your world, then taking up smoking is definitely stupid. But it's an okay choice for those who don't care for those things very much.

I see that you just can't grasp the fact that people hold vastly different values. That's why I'm out of this 'discussion'. I'll give you the last word, so you can consider yourself the "winner" if you want to.

People hold different values, but they also often don't genuinely appreciate the consequences of their actions. Not to say that people don't have a right to smoke, but I haven't met any patients who are happy about their emphysema, COPD, or lung cancer. The story I most often hear is "I wish I had never started smoking, but it was so common back then, it was just the thing to do." I haven't heard anyone say "This was totally worth missing out on being able to play with my grandkids."

I hope you havn't taken this as a personal attack or anything like that, because that is not my intention.

I totally understand smoking is a personal choice, and I respect your right to do it. You will notice I didnt at any point suggest banning smoking, as I believe freedom of choice is very important.

My final thought -

I can tell you this, its devastating losing someone close to you, you never truly heal from it.

Be really honest with yourself; if you became seriously ill with cancer caused by your choice to smoke, are you sure you wouldnt feel guilty?... for your mum, dad, girlfriend, friends.

I genuinely hope you will really think about this, and review your decision to be a smoker. Life is so precious; respect for life is a big factor in being a vegan, for me atleast. I hope you come to the same view, as soon as possible.

I hope you havn't taken this as a personal attack or anything like that, because that is not my intention.

I totally understand smoking is a personal choice, and I respect your right to do it. You will notice I didnt at any point suggest banning smoking, as I believe freedom of choice is very important.

My final thought -

I can tell you this, its devastating losing someone close to you, you never truly heal from it.

Be really honest with yourself; if you became seriously ill with cancer caused by your choice to smoke, are you sure you wouldnt feel guilty?... for your mum, dad, girlfriend, friends.

I genuinely hope you will really think about this, and review your decision to be a smoker. Life is so precious; respect for life is a big factor in being a vegan, for me atleast. I hope you come to the same view, as soon as possible.

*stands and applauds*

:weedman:

I don't even smoke or drink but i think marijuana is fine if people really want it.Makes you think deeply.

I hate religion.I FUCKING HATE RELIGION, FUCK.

Since you expressed your opinion about religion, I'll express my opinion on something.

I hate anti american and anti religious hipster douchebags. A lot of them call themselves vegetarians/vegans, but yet smoke. They think everyone is just as corrupt and igornant as they are as they are. I FUCKING HATE HIPSTER DOUCHEBAGS!!

haha. I love the anti-hipster stuff. where's that coming from? I thought we were talking about smoking...

Pretty sure he was ripping on the previous poster.

This thread needs to die.

Even as a fairly self righteous straightedge kid, this is just insane. The hatred being spewed in this thread is completely unneccesary.

I'd just like to tell everyone arguing (regardless of stance) that they can fuck off!

Knock this shit off.

haha. I love the anti-hipster stuff. where's that coming from? I thought we were talking about smoking...

Pretty sure he was ripping on the previous poster.

This thread needs to die.

Even as a fairly self righteous straightedge kid, this is just insane. The hatred being spewed in this thread is completely unneccesary.

I'd just like to tell everyone arguing (regardless of stance) that they can fuck off!

Knock this shit off.

Hipsters smoke and try to call themselves vegan. But hipsters call themselves vegan as a means of showing others that they're so alternative and anti mainstream. They don't even become vegan because of animal rights or enviornmental reasons.

And I'd just like to tell Jason X to shut the fuck up. I know this is a public forum and that everyone can post what they want, but guess what you don't have to read this thread or any other thread, let alone comment on it. If you don't like what you see here you can take your buisness elsewhere.

Anyone has the right to be as big an asshole, as they choose, and this thread is proving me out.

Let other live their lives as the see fit and get on with your own, and stop trying to build yourself up by knocking other people down. In life you only go around once, so if you want to go around with a cigarette hanging out of your hole knowing the consequences, then go for it.

Stop judging other people until you've reach a state of perfection.

This is especially funny to me because "hipster" is such an arbitrary label...what makes someone a hipster? There should be guidelines. And you don't need to care about animal rights or the environment to be a vegan. Everyone has their own reasons. Someone could be a vegan simply because they find eating animal products gross (and I actually know someone like this), or because they want a cholesterol-free diet. And they would and should be welcome in our community, regardless of whether or not they have any moral reasons behind their decision.

If you ask me, energy spent on hating anyone is energy wasted.

Anyone has the right to be as big an asshole, as they choose, and this thread is proving me out.

Let other live their lives as the see fit and get on with your own, and stop trying to build yourself up by knocking other people down. In life you only go around once, so if you want to go around with a cigarette hanging out of your hole knowing the consequences, then go for it.

I'm so not taking advice on judgements by somone like you. When ever I've come out on this forum for help in regards to my Aspergers Syndrome, emotional support and sexual harrassment you and several others have been so judgemental towards me. So you have no authority to lecture me on judgements

This is especially funny to me because "hipster" is such an arbitrary label...what makes someone a hipster? There should be guidelines. And you don't need to care about animal rights or the environment to be a vegan. Everyone has their own reasons. Someone could be a vegan simply because they find eating animal products gross (and I actually know someone like this), or because they want a cholesterol-free diet. And they would and should be welcome in our community, regardless of whether or not they have any moral reasons behind their decision.

If you ask me, energy spent on hating anyone is energy wasted.

The word Hipster is broad term and like I said before, "no hipster would ever admit to being a hipster." Also it's not a good thing to be a hipster let alone something to be proud of.

I'm so not taking advice on judgements by somone like you. When ever I've come out on this forum for help in regards to my Aspergers Syndrome, emotional support and sexual harrassment you and several others have been so judgemental towards me. So you have no authority to lecture me on judgements.

Authority???

Why don't you go to a Aspergers Syndrome forum for help. This is VBB Forum. Your not gonna find the best, or most from here.

Last time we talked I thought I was helping you.

Maybe you should just live your life judging other people who don't live up to your standards.

http://multifamilyinvestor.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/band-aid-x.jpg

:weedman:

I don't even smoke or drink but i think marijuana is fine if people really want it.Makes you think deeply.

I hate religion.I FUCKING HATE RELIGION, FUCK.

Since you expressed your opinion about religion, I'll express my opinion on something.

I hate anti american and anti religious hipster douchebags. A lot of them call themselves vegetarians/vegans, but yet smoke. They think everyone is just as corrupt and igornant as they are as they are. I FUCKING HATE HIPSTER DOUCHEBAGS!!

You calling me a hipster douche bag?You like religion?Like the wars it causes?Magic sky daddy?

I'm a quite person and i don't do anything to impress anyone.If that hipster comment was about me your wrong.Call me names from behind your computer.It makes you way tough.

You calling me a hipster douche bag?You like religion?Like the wars it causes?Magic sky daddy?

I'm a quite person and i don't do anything to impress anyone.If that hipster comment was about me your wrong.Call me names from behind your computer.It makes you way tough.

Actually no I was not calling you a hipster. I was merly expressing my thoughts about hipsters. I am Asatru so in a way that makes me religious in a lot of ways. But I am aware of the corruption in all of religion, but for you to say "magic sky daddy" to me is an insult. And just like you said,"Call me names from behind your computer. It makes you way tough." But guess what atheists, agnostics, etc are just as corrupt as the religious dogmas in the world. So take your soviet ideas and shove them up your ass.

I'm so not taking advice on judgements by somone like you. When ever I've come out on this forum for help in regards to my Aspergers Syndrome, emotional support and sexual harrassment you and several others have been so judgemental towards me. So you have no authority to lecture me on judgements.

Authority???

Why don't you go to a Aspergers Syndrome forum for help. This is VBB Forum. Your not gonna find the best, or most from here.

Last time we talked I thought I was helping you.

Maybe you should just live your life judging other people who don't live up to your standards.

http://multifamilyinvestor.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/band-aid-x.jpg

I believe you. Yes, I believe that you actually believe half the garbage you say. Your ego is so out of wack that it'll do whatever it can to protect itself. And people with messed up egos can these mental gymnastics to convince themselves they're righteous and awesome, when really they're just as corrupt as they think everyone else is.

Like I said before you have no authority to accuse me of being judgmental, when you yourself are judging me for being judgmental. If you don't like what I'm saying in this threads then don't comment on them. Though this is a public forum and people can say what they want, if you don't have anything positive to say on any of my thread, or any of my threads, then don't read them and don't say anything at all.

Edited by Ryofire

This thread made to look up Asbergers on webmd.

I get it now. Arguing with or trying to have a reasonable conversation this guy is hopeless.

And Ryo, I started totally on your side with this. Do you make it a habit to alienate your supporters?

This thread made to look up Asbergers on webmd.

I get it now. Arguing with or trying to have a reasonable conversation this guy is hopeless.

And Ryo, I started totally on your side with this. Do you make it a habit to alienate your supporters?

First off it's spelled aspergers. Named after Hans Asperger an austrian pediatrician.

And it's one thing to just read about aspergers, but I gurantee if you had aspergers/autism you would be crying your eyes out.

Also it's very hard to tell who's on your side on forums and on the internet. Especially if you cannot hear the persons tone of voice, and observe others body launguage/social cues. I was an autistic child no one gave a flying fuck about, because I wasn't as fortunate as you when it came to naturally understanding others social cues right away. I know you're going to say I'm so full of self pity and what not, but though I'm autistic I too have a soul, love, feel emotions, cry, and too can be provoked. Oh and like I've said before to other members on this forum, don't try to claim you know about aspergers when really you don't know anything at all.

I've heard the excuses before:

I have a son/daughter with aspergers

I have a family memeber with aspgers

I work with people with aspergers

I have a friends with aspergers

I'm married/date someone with aspgergers

I've read about aspergers

...and the list continues to grow

So before you ask me, if I make it a habbit of alienating my supporters, take a look inside yourself. Ask yourself do you really know what it's like to live with aspergers syndrome, and have others take advantage of you as well as treat you like you have no feelings? While your at it ask those around you who are mentally/neurologically handicapped what they think of you, and be sure to pay close attention to what they say. If you repeat it wrong, and try to convince yourself a different answer was given, it will come back to haunt you I guarentee it. "Those who do not learn from history (or their past in this case) are doomed to repeat it."

I wouldn't try to front that I know what you've gone through. I don't know. Simply put. I've never denied I'm lucky that the worst thing that's ever happened to me a bout with malignant melanoma. That's physical, not psychological.

I also wouldn't say that you're full of self pity. I'd say you were more filled with rage than anything. Correct me if I'm wrong, but since you have aspergers, that means you're autistic, right? One of my friends adopted an autistic child that I occasionally play "Uncle Jason" role with. He's the only autistic person I know. Given that comparison, I'd say you are functioning very well in your day to day. Granted, again, I don't know how you grew up and what happened, and I'm no psychologist, but it seems to me like you're taking the traits that the people that have hurt you in the past hold and are reflecting your feelings about the people that have hurt you onto other people, simply because they share traits and do the same things.

I'm not telling you to change. I'm just saying things aren't that cut and dry. Not everyone that smokes is going to be struck down before they life a full life due to a crippling disease. Not everyone that drinks is going to turn into an abusive jerk. (trust me, I'd be happy if they did. It'd be a good catalyst for people to stop doing these things).

You're free to believe what you want, and to say what you want, but this thread is filled with some pretty unreasonable expectations/statements. No, they don't all come from you. I've made them, whoever tried to put the "rock climbing should be outlawed because it's dangerous" argument out there made them.

That's life, and in order to live one that won't drive you crazy, sometimes people just need to agree to disagree.

I wouldn't try to front that I know what you've gone through. I don't know. Simply put. I've never denied I'm lucky that the worst thing that's ever happened to me a bout with malignant melanoma. That's physical, not psychological.

I also wouldn't say that you're full of self pity. I'd say you were more filled with rage than anything. Correct me if I'm wrong, but since you have aspergers, that means you're autistic, right? One of my friends adopted an autistic child that I occasionally play "Uncle Jason" role with. He's the only autistic person I know. Given that comparison, I'd say you are functioning very well in your day to day. Granted, again, I don't know how you grew up and what happened, and I'm no psychologist, but it seems to me like you're taking the traits that the people that have hurt you in the past hold and are reflecting your feelings about the people that have hurt you onto other people, simply because they share traits and do the same things.

I'm not telling you to change. I'm just saying things aren't that cut and dry. Not everyone that smokes is going to be struck down before they life a full life due to a crippling disease. Not everyone that drinks is going to turn into an abusive jerk. (trust me, I'd be happy if they did. It'd be a good catalyst for people to stop doing these things).

You're free to believe what you want, and to say what you want, but this thread is filled with some pretty unreasonable expectations/statements. No, they don't all come from you. I've made them, whoever tried to put the "rock climbing should be outlawed because it's dangerous" argument out there made them.

That's life, and in order to live one that won't drive you crazy, sometimes people just need to agree to disagree.

Fine then we shall agree to disagree. However there's a big difference between disagreeing and disagreeing in a disconfirming way. I've took an intro to psychology class and an interpersonal communication class. I may not have a degree in the psychology field and sociology field, but I know a lot more than most of these fakes who try to speak on behalf of autistic people. Though aspergers is a mild form of autism, it's still autism non the less. Try having hypersensetivity to sound and touch, so guess what that's physical. And that can lead to psychological things like depression and anxiety. So I don't care what you or anyone says, but psychological health is just as important as physical health. I know you'll say "I never said that psychological health is not as important," and it's true you didn't. So I reall don't need to play this game of my struggles are worse than yours, but I feel obligated to say when it comes to severe problems like clinical depression and anxiety it's not always as simple as saying, "that's life." Try telling that to my uncle who commited suicide. It was clear that he needed help, but because of those people out their who told him things like "get over it" and "that's life," that's one of the many reasons he, as well all those who commit/attempt suicide, went through with it.

Like Ducati on this site said, in regards to victims of domestic abuse (specifically male abuse), "The people who judge the victims are as bad as the abusers themselves. They make it difficult for those victims to want to seek help because of possible ridicule. Especially men."