Are all vegans taking B12 supplements to cover its RDI ?

awayguy

I've been vegan for two years and had my b12, iron etc tested this week and my results were all fine. I don't take a vegan multivitamin every day, but probably once a week at least. some weeks I completely forget. I'm not sure it's necessary to ingest b-12 only supplement that often.

It isn't the crunch point of the vegan lifestyle. I would say the crunch point is calcium/osteoporosis prevention. Every other issue is fairly easy to take care of. B-12? Take one small one a day or a large one once a week. No problem. Getting the recommended amounts of calcium with/without supplements or feeling secure taking less is difficult.

well how i analysed the stuff, calcium isnt that big problem even without calcium supplements. look in the western cities ppl. are consuming so much milk and cheese, but the oseoporosis rate is very high. the fact is you cant absorb that much calcium from milk and cheese how from the vegetables. and if you dont eat meat, you dont loose that much calcium from your body. i think a nearly vegan diet is the best thing you can do for your bones and joints. once i consumed much milk and cheese and had always "sounds of cracks" in my joints. when i gave up milk and cheese and that much meat, the "knack sounds" stoped in my joints (but i watched to take calcium out of veggies and was the whole summer on the sun "vitamin D").

No.hahahahaha

We shall see how long it takes me to go crazy, won't we Kakarot?

Kakarot:Get back to work, we must sharpen the blade!

LloydMetcalfe:Of course, for the "higher purpose".

• 1 month later...

hmm, pity thing is that:

"There are no reliable, unfortified plant sources of vitamin B12 (see B12 in Tempeh, Seaweeds, Organic Produce, and Other Plant Foods for more information); therefore fortified foods and/or supplements are necessary for the optimal health of vegans and even vegetarians in many cases. Luckily, vitamin B12 is made by bacterial fermentation such that no animal foods are necessary to provide it."

http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/vitaminb12

problem is, that these doesnt come naturaly in to a vegan food. it must be fortified.

well i once read it may appear in food through the natural way. but it can only apear in "soiled" vegetabels. so in India for example, many people live a vegan lifestlye but they barely dont get any b12 lacks, because they eat rather "soiled" vegetables. and how the research says b12 appears on "soiled" plants. they get the b12, because they dont wash the plants that clean. well, thats a good point, they can do it this way, because they dont use on this vegetables that much pesticides (well i read it that way in an article, but i'm still not sure if they dont use that much pesticides). and the next point is: many indians which emigrated to the western countries, showed a lack of b12 after some time. so i mean we cant eat our vegetables without washing them, after we know how they're threatened with pesticides and insecticides (well they're allready sold washed). that means we barely cant enough b12 the natural way, with a vegan diet nowadays.(its what research says). In the past it was surely possible for the ppl. to get enough b12 "the natural way"

But when i'm thinking about it, the b12 fortified food isnt that bad, (somehow natural too, besides that, meat isnt that natural too nowadays(and milkshit etc..))

hmm, i read somewhere that a little amount of barm could provide you the rda of b12 too, but i have to analyse that.

with regards ppl.

I don't know why you're making such a big deal over this. B12 is produced by bacteria. We wash our veggies well so we end up removing that from our "natural" food. We don't wash what's fed to animals so, holla, they have B12 in them. (Some might also have B12 bacteria in their gut before the absorption point, but we don't.)

Just take a friggin B12 pill. It's not going to kill you and is a whole lot less crazy than looking into barm, the scum formed on top of fermented alcohol.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been doing a fair bit of reading and gather that B12 through regular pills (e.g. multi-vits with B12) aren't as easily absorbed as if taken by spray mist. I just ordered some B12 spray mist and will let ya know how I fair out with it (if you're curious - here is the link: http://products.mercola.com/vitamin-b12-spray/ ) - not endorsing it, but my RHom, ND speaks highly of Mercola and his products...

Mercola's a total quack. You might want to rethink your choice of nutritionist. http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/mercola.html

He also rails against soy and is cited frequently (along with the weston price foundation) for anti-vegan arguments.

Everything I've read suggests that spray vitamins are barely better absorbed than any other method. For instance - http://www.do-dietary-supplements-work.com/spray-vitamins.html

I just went to the doctor and had an extensive blood test.. everything was great (he asked if I was trying to show off with my results because they were so good) and specifically my iron and folate were amazing. i think the average folate (i forget the units) is anywhere from 3-16 and mine was 27!!

HOWEVER....

the average B12 should be between 200-1100... and should be in the middle to higher end of that range and mine was 209!! So I am now taking a vitamin b12 supplement (even though i hate supplements). I'd suggest during your next blood test to find out what your b12 is at..

Mercola's a total quack. You might want to rethink your choice of nutritionist. http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/mercola.html

He also rails against soy and is cited frequently (along with the weston price foundation) for anti-vegan arguments.

Everything I've read suggests that spray vitamins are barely better absorbed than any other method. For instance - http://www.do-dietary-supplements-work.com/spray-vitamins.html

Yeah Mercola is best to stay away from http://www.skepdic.com/mercola.html

His site is one of many I peruse when I do research - and I'm one of those who tend to research things far beyond the norm - for when I'm need of info. I do agree that he has an anti-vegan stance which I don't care for and that he does try and push his own products as the best. As I side note, remember that Western Medicine practitioners are always quick to dismiss and cast doubt on anything that doesn't support their views - there are plenty of people out there who would be able to get off various meds if their GPs advised them to change their dietary habits - going vegetarian is not easy for a lot of people - going Vegan is even more difficult...but I digress from the thread - sry!

I thought I'd try his stuff (1st time buyer) and I'll see how it goes from there