Hello from Virginia

Rob PMFF

Hi, my name is Rob. I'm a Firefighter/Paramedic in Virginia. My wife and I stopped eating meat in October 2007, and I progressed to vegan 3 months ago. I know that's not very long, but judging from a failed experiment involving mac & cheese, I think I have made myself lactose intolerant, so going back to dairy and eggs isn't realistic even if I wanted it to be...and I don't. As you can probably guess, being a vegan in the "Alpha Male" dominated profession of firefighting is not popular, to say the least. "Men eat meat!" I'm sure you've all heard it before.

Anyway, the first 8 months after quitting the flesh-eating club, I felt like my energy levels skyrocketed. I lifted 6 days a week and went from 195 lbs or so, to 212 lbs (mostly muscle mass). I had my bench press and deadlift up to 235 lbs (I know that's not a lot for some people, but it was the most I ever did). I was quite pleased with the results. Has anyone had a similar experience?

But alas, I became a bit lazy with my strict eating and exercise regimen, and lost much of that mass, and put on a bit of fat as well. I dropped to 195 lbs once again. MANY people noticed the drop in weight. I'm 6'4" so weight changes look dramatic on my frame. I am not pleased.

After deciding to make the jump to Vegan, I've tried to get back on the fitness wagon. I try to do at least 2 of these activities per day for at least 3 or 4 days per week: Lifting & Cardio, or Swimming Laps, or Hot Yoga. And I do Wing Chun Kung Fu 3 - 5 times per week.

I haven't tried to max out on lifting lately, so I don't have any numbers for you there. But I have dropped another 3 lbs and am at 192. I'm guessing that 3 was fat. Who knows. I'm not using calipers or tape measure or anything, but my pants are looser in the waist. One positive change that I have noticed in the past few months, is that my resting heart rate has gone from the high 80's to the low 60's. All the cardio is paying off. I just hope it doesn't kick me in the rear with the mass gain department.

So, I'm here, joining your community for the advice and support you offer. I think I'm gonna need it this time around. Motivation isn't coming as easily as it did when I first became vegetarian.

In case anyone is curious, my decision to progress to Veganism was as a result of reading Rip Esselstyn's book "The Engine 2 Diet". Rip is a Captain in the San Antonio, TX Fire Department and a Vegan, and triathlete, who did a study within his department and community regarding a vegan diet. Great book if any of you have not seen it.

I look forward to communicating with you all. See you around the forums.

I suggest reading Sam's history on here if you're needed motivation. pure class.

I've got some firefigher friends over in minneapolis, and while they aren't vegan, they aren't the standard Manly Man (in fact, one is a woman) so I hear what you're getting into as far as the good old boy attitude. They've reported the same thing.

Just remember that plants don't have as many calories as animals, so you need to eat more of them to stay the same. I think that is one thing new vegans miss. You need to eat more than you were before. It's my theory that the reason I just outlined is the reason vegan diets don't work for some people. In short, they're doing it wrong.

Stick with, ride the wave, and ask any questions you may have. It seems this forum is great with the common theme of veganism. Lots of support.

I've got some firefigher friends over in minneapolis, and while they aren't vegan, they aren't the standard Manly Man (in fact, one is a woman) so I hear what you're getting into as far as the good old boy attitude. They've reported the same thing.

I live in the South, so many of the people I work with are "rednecks". Ordinarily I enjoy their company, but when it comes to my food choices, they just don't get it. Nor do they want to. Which is fine as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in the South, so many of the people I work with are "rednecks". Ordinarily I enjoy their company, but when it comes to my food choices, they just don't get it. Nor do they want to. Which is fine as well.

So funny, I live in West Virginia (Deer Land) so I feel you on the above statement. I work with some guys who eat, sleep, sneeze deer meat and any other thing that runs and have a heart beat. Some will occasionally ask why I eat the way I do, and I reply because I like shopping at Hollister and they only make jeans for people with flat stomachs . They don't say a word, they simply leave the room.