hungry ectomorphs

My friend and I both work out a lot. We both need about the same amount of calories per day. I am an ectomorph and he isn't. I eat much more than him, at least 50% more, and I weight on 25% less than him. How is this possible? I consume less calories from food than him, don't I? I really eat more than anyone I know, and I am only 66 kg. I don't have any ring worms and I am completely healthy. I just don't get it how is this possible. Besides I've heard that eating a lot is actually not very good because internal organs tend to wear down faster.

Look up what it means to be an Ectomorph, Mesomorph, and Endomorph and you will see how it is possible for him to weigh/gain faster than you being he is not an ectomorph.

You are what they call a hard gainer. Ive been battling the same problem lately. No matter how much I eat whether good/"junkie" the weight does not come on.

BrutalEdge, how many calories are you eating per day? If you don't know, chances are you're not eating as much as you think. I know I only thought I was eating a lot before I started tracking my calories. Gaining weight is in fact a pretty basic concept: train hard and eat a lot. If you're not gaining, eat more. It doesn't help to compare yourself to others too much. Different people respond to training differently, and at the end of the day you'll still be stuck in your body.

It might be what you eat as opposed to what you do not eat. What is your diet like? I think you're onto something about talking about what you were saying, how you may not be needing to eat so much. I went to a lecture on metabolism and the three essential elements of a good metabolism (which helps you put on lean muscle mass and stay healthy), the three elements are diet, exercise, and detox. I think the detox is the most important and often overlooked of the three. I am still learning about this myself but some of the principles I've gathered about it are: don't overeat, drink some fluids, and sea-vegetables and algae are good for cleaning out your system. Also, try to eat "alkaline" foods. I think these are some interesting theories that might have some affect on your health. I'm an ectomorph myself. Some of the things that are helping are trying to eat healthy, of course, and eating more carbs, in moderation (I find that I have sustained energy with a big bowl of oatmeal for breakfast). I know this is a lot to read so I'll stop there.

"I consume less calories from food than him, don't I?"

Didn't you say you eat more than him?

Ok, I'll try to rephrase this:

Why do ectomorphs gain slower than other types if they eat the same? If both consume a same amount of energy, but less mass is gained by ectomorphs, then were does the extra energy go?

I eat mostly fruits (bananas, apples, oranges, mandarines), cooked or raw vegetables and lots of different porridges/cereals, beans, some nuts and garlic. My friend is not vegan, but even when I was eating same stuff he did I (hence, I wasn't vegan) ate 50% more than him.

I'll try to count up my calories intake

Please post a food journal for a few days so we can see what you're eating. From your description it still seems to be not a lot of cals.

Just tryin to help ya out buddy

Thanks, man, any help or usefull info is appreciated

Here's what I ate today:

• 7 large bananas

• 1 kilo of mandarins

• Vegetable soup 0.5 l

• White bread ~0.2 g

• Vegetable salad (potatoes, beets, peas, pickles etc.) 0.2 kg

• Baked potato ~0.5 kg

• 2 medium baked tomatoes

• 1 medium baked onion

• Lots of tea, ~3 liters

• Some nuts and honey

• Few large apples

I'll log what I eat next few days since I hardly remember what I ate the days before today.

Today's meals:

leafy green stuff: ~0

1 serving of buckweat: 583

1 kg of mandarins: 380-450

2 servings of vegetable soup: lets suppose 100

1 serving of cooked beets: 60

1 serving of rice: 240

~0.2 kg of white bread: 600

0.3 kg of cooked beans: 500

1 l of juice: 486

lots of tea: 0

Total: ~2950

Hm, less than 4000. Maybe I should start eating other stuff

yup , not enough calories.

I used to have to eat ATLEAST 3000 every day whilst training with weights only twice a week and one big jog.Then I would gain a couple of pounds a week, max.

If I ever missed a day of eating huge amount, I would not gain anything that week.

It took me months to build up my weight, and got flu, which lasted a few weeks, and lost it all.For some of us, it is virtually impossible without SEVERE dedication.For others, they look at a weights set and bang, they weigh as much as a rhino (ok slight exageration!)

Oh and guys I read a fascinating article:

Apparently, they have linked certain types of stomach bacteria to obese people.Basically, certain types of stomach bacteria are really good at breaking down calories in fibrous foods.Obese people have alot of these bacteria in their stomach.Thin people were tested and found to be very low in these bacteria.When the obese person ate something high in fibre, their stomach was releasing huge amounts of calories from it, compared to the thin people and their "inferior" bacteria, who were simpky poo-ing it out.

One way to balance this out was apparently to take pre-biotics.

Consume more fruits. Fruits have the perfect balance of nutrition for human health. Fruits are one of human's natural foods because it does not have to be cooked. Cooked foods are not natural. Humans are the only species who cook.

People laugh at the 'protein' in fruits. As long as you get enough calories from mostly fresh raw fruits and vegetables you will be getting enough amino acids. I eliminated all cooked 'legumes' and 'grains' and I feel so much better. I have not lost any strength from consuming only raw fruits and vegetables for about 5 days.

Eat more fruits instead of all that cooked beans. Beans aren't health for humans especially when they are cooked. Lots of toxins and bad stuff. Some raw athletes consume 30 bananas a day!

I am an advocate of consuming lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, and small amounts of nuts and seeds because I am now a raw vegan!