Why is my weight going up?

SuzeQ

So I've been 100% "good" since boxing day - no sugar, no refined foods, nothing white, 100% vegan (except for whey protein) and try to stay raw as much as possible. I've been weight training every other day, getting 60 minutes of good heart pumping cardio 2-3 times per week and other (lesser heart rate) cardio daily (ie. brisk walks, stairs etc.) and my weight has gone up 5lbs!

I'm trying to lose 40lbs and turn the fat to muscle - I have lost 4% bf in this time period, but what can I tweak to make the weight go down?

Here's my typical day:

BF - Smoothie with 2 bananas, scoop of whey protein with a small handful of nuts

Snack - apple with 5-6 almonds

Lunch - veggie stew (Moroccan) or spinach salad with mock egg salad

Snack - veggies with hummus

Dinner - spinach salad (or lightly steamed veggies) with veggie chicken breast

post workout - whey protein shake

Cup of rice milk or a matcha latte made with rice milk

I drink lots of water and lots of green tea throughout the day...

ANY feedback would be appreciated

Two questions.

1. Why do you feel the need to use whey still? There are many vegan proteins that are just as cheap and work just as well.

2. If your bodyfat has decreased 4%, then why does your weight matter? What you see in the mirror should matter far more than a number on a scale. If you are truly losing bodyfat but still gaining weight, then that weight is all muscle, which is what you want, right?

I just happen to have a house full of whey protein that my husband has not used that I don't want to waste... once they are gone I will be switching to vegan protein for sure!

As for the ultimate goal - very true, very; but I'm guessing that I just feel that I am too heavy overall. thanks!

2. If your bodyfat has decreased 4%, then why does your weight matter? What you see in the mirror should matter far more than a number on a scale. If you are truly losing bodyfat but still gaining weight, then that weight is all muscle, which is what you want, right?

This.

Thanks for all of your input - I know ALL of this, and suppose my issue is psychological rather than physical from having been put into weight watchers a the age of 10... Cheers!

You're doing awesome. That's all that matters.

and, +1 to the muscle being heavier than fat.

I have to second all of the replies. I would rather be 200lbs of muscle in a 32in waist (Vanity check LOL) instead of 200lbs of blubber in a 38in waist (No offense to anyone). Muscles are more dense that fat plus muscles hold a lot of water which makes them full. Our way of eating is idea for the gym rat because we are always hydrated (Carbo-Hydrates), the myth comes from the large amount of protein the body needs (Not true). This chemical thing our body do everyday can work for you or against you according to your food consumption. Lift, rest and eat and throw away the scale, it will lie to you every time!

I wish you the best success!