Jason is back in fucking business.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

day one (and yesterdays half day) with the boot complete. it isn't so bad. I can make it. rugby practice was interesting, though... I also got asked a lot of questions (at work and at practice).

anyhow, waking up early and lifting heavy things. I'm excited. haven't been to the gym in almost months! I'll be nothing if not rested, right? Besides, chewy's got me inspired.

I lifted upper body yesterday morning! and now I have DOMS! I've missed this!

Will go again tomorrow am. I'm excited.

what'd I do. 2 sets to one shy of failure. lighter weights than last time, a bit.

notables. (because they are lifts i was doing before.)

bench 120 x 13 130 x 6

tri pullover 40 x 14 45 x 8

and incline bench was horrible. i don't remember the weight but it was VERY bad. will make it a point to do more of that one.

So, after lifting yesterday I went to a stair workout with some of the rugby team (extra credit pratice - the coach showed up too!)

Anyhow, as we know, I can't run stairs in this boot, so I brought my cinderblock and spend a half hour squat throwing it (overhead, swing, behind the head/tri) and doing some squat lifts, pushups, leg lifts, crunches, inverted rows, etc.

It was super fun and amazing, and I think I moved myself up a peg on the coaches list for showing up when I "couldn't participate" and kicking my own ass and being with the team. these guys are family and they're all awesome.

anyhow, had a blast and feel super good right now. Makes me want a training license even more.

GREAT DAY! (aside from the 85 and humid it is out. I'm totally getting skin cancer again this year...do not want.)

Went to the gym again. Getting back to it again. Not as strong as I was, but I'll accept that. Down to 178 today! (But lean!) I'm working on taking that # back the other way. I think I was probably dehydrated from last night anyhow. And hour and a half outside at 80some degrees and sunny makes you sweat.

Also, doc cleared me to not wear my aircast at work. But the gym and practice its essential. Sweet.

• 3 weeks later...

ok, an update. been lifting.

started the rippetoe 3x5 today

Day 1:

Squat 175 3x5 (deloaded since I'm still a tiny bit nervous about foot, and I haven't squatted in a solid month and a half)

bench 135 3x5

deadlift 195 3x5 (same reason as squat)

then for accessory lifts I did 3x5 barbell curls at 80lbs and 3x3 towel pullups (gripping a towel rather than a bar)

Also, my travel plans this weekend were either to go to Kansas for the state champ arm wrestling tournament, or to Wisconsin for a powerlifting event.

I'm leaning WI. I hadn't planned on participating in either, but hell, if I'm there, why not, right? I mean, aside from HUGE potential for embarrassment. But hell, i'm not an arm wrestler or a powerlifter, so why not give it a whirl?

anything I should know about either?

Hey! I went to WI for the powerlifting, and I did NOT compete. Thankfully, that would been bad. watched natural athletes (USAPL is crazy about drug testing). Some dude tried to set a world record (633lb bench. non-roids) but didn't, but I think he could have. His first attempt timed out (while he was static holding 588 lbs) because his left foot wasn't flat enough for the head judge. it was overruled and he tried again, though a little gassed.

Then I saw some big guy squat 705lbs. it was great. He would yell "YUP!" as he picked up the weight and before we squatted it. Reminded me of Ronnie Colemans "Yeah buddy!". Some 56 year old guy set a national record on bench, too. I don't recall the weight.

Then the teens went and put on a clinic. man, teenagers are strong!

Then I left (before deads, which bummed me out, cause they're my favorite) because I wanted to watch the USA v England game. Pity.

Still been training, and actually just bought my own olympic weight set and bench last night. Now I can lift right in my bedroom. (thanks for the inspiration, chewy!)

Good times, good times.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I haven't updated this is just about forever. I can't find a program that lets me do all of the exercises I want to do, so I'm devising my own. I've got it almost dialed in. I'll unveil it when I've finished it, but as of now lifts are progressing well.

I'm up to 225 on squats 5x5 with a 235 1x5, 245 on deadlifts, and I can't get past 140 on my bench. it's super lame. Started doing some inclines in hopes of strengthening those muscles. It could very well be that I just psych myself out without a spotter being there so I don't try as hard. Either way, it sucks.

I'm up to 196 lbs these days in the mornings with no food in me. usually up to 198 in the evening. HA! Still aiming for 215 then a cut, but I'm starting to feel like I'm getting fat. I don't like it. I might not make it to 215. besides, rugby fall season starts soon and I'll be running more.

What else is news? I get to fill in at least in the interim as team conditioning coach. That's kinda neat. I like it.

I guess that's all my news. I'll try to start updating this again. I feel like I've been slacking. I just am a bit too busy to write it down at my log in the gym, and then try to remember it when I get home and update this one, too.

foot is fine, thanks for asking! i feel pretty good all over minus a nagging ankle injury. real tough.

today was one of my fitness deals with rugby. i wore my 20lb weight vest (thanks for the inspiration, mary!!!) during most of it.

jog around warm up. stretch/limber up.

set up some cones and run a rugby drill a few times.

lunge to the far side of the cones, squat jumps back (times 3)

bear walk to far side of cones, crab walk back (times 3)

buddy up

buddy carry out, wheelbarrow back (times 2 then switch)

then x3, x2, x1 muddy hill repeats (i took my vest of for the last 3, and the buddy carries)

then lying start sprints onto a rugby ball (being passed to the runner) x a ton

then a short, but brutal, core routine.

great times. shitty turnout. 4 people, but it was thunderstorming an hour before it was supposed to start, (and all day) so i'll let it slide.

i love it.

first real update in months?

GYM DAY!

squats. 230 5x5 (will repeat this weight as I didn't quite get as low as I'd like.)

Deadlift 245 1x5 (my gym won't let me use chalk. I won't get better until they do.)

Standing Military Press 110 3x5 (will repeat this one too, due to form breakdown. bit of a knee kick on the last 2 reps)

barbell rows 110 3x8 (will go heavier next time)

Tri pullover 75 5x5 (i'd up it, but that's as high as the dumbells go!)

leg press 705 3x5 (up it)

bench 135 3x5 (will increase, this was too easy, but I hate benching. I'm scared to go heavy without a spotter...there, i said it.)

and a bunch of sets (5?) of towel pull ups (get that grip going!)

that's all.

i need to be more consistent with my shoe choice (today was barefoot for squats and deads) and need liquid chalk. or wraps, but that's a cop-out. I went to a better (for my purposes) gym in the next city over and might sign up there in a week. maybe...24 hour gym, but is 20 minutes away.