good laugh: sickly vegan bodybuilders @ vegfest DC

djshrew

That web site is hilarious. I'd love to go to an American BBQ fest and take random pictures of all the body types you'd see there. I'm sure they'd look so much healthier.

Good point. There are fat vegans. There are also thin/sickly vegans. However, I think we do better as a group because of the statistics published from studies I have read and from what I see at conventions.

When I went to Summerfest or the AR 20** conventions I might see 2-3 fat people out of a crowd of hundreds of people and nobody who is obese.

I don't think vegans will ever make it to the top level of bodybuilding since most refuse to drugs and that is standard for that profession. However, the number of people who might have gone vegan, but who would decide not to because there are no vegan Mr. Olympias is extremely small. The number of people who will give a vegan diet a shot to help control their weight is huge. Witness the success of "Skinny Bitch".

Edited by beforewisdom

I feel stupid commenting on such a stupid collection of pictures but his rant about Kenneth Williams is kinda true but of course he doesn't reason like that when he shows pics of fat people. A lot of people at those festivals might be new to vegetarianism or maybe not even vegetarian at all. There are a lot of overweight vegans because overweight people turn to veganism to loose weight. Generally though I think the "modern" vegan is just as unhealthy as a meat eater and the "article"/post is retarded.

I was at that event. It was in an outdoor court yard open to a main road and a pedestrian walk way. Many people who were not vegans were there as a result. That was the point. It was an outreach event. At one point some tea baggers passed through on their way to a protest.

In other words, you can't count on any picture of any given person being a vegan or a vegetarian.......let alone representative of the group.

Despite the authors intention, it was a great human pictorial of a vegan event. Who was the bicep dude hanging out with Jimi?

I also found this to be a good interview. Sounds like the site author is quite biased, but the interviewee managed to counter that very well.

Interview with Obligate Carnivore author Jed Gillen

http://letthemeatmeat.com/post/344486917/interview-with-a-vegan-jed-gillen

Those are some rough looking people. But they have been taken advantage of to perpetuate a stereotype. I spend half of my working days on an ambulance. Maybe I should start taking pictures of people who's lives have been destroyed by their wanton disregard for what they put in their bodies. Of course not. How the hell is making fun of people an answer to any problem?

I know and/or recognize many of the people from those pictures.

It reminds me of a point brought up in some of Vegan Outreach's essays. It doesn't help the animals or the environment to go around telling people how wonderful a vegan diet is unless you are a picture of health. Most people will be too polite to mention the visual discrepancy, but most will also notice it.

Same for bodybuilding. When most people think "bodbuilder" they imagine a huge, Mr. Olympia type of person. If you aren't one of those people and you are wearing a bodybuilding shirt they don't interpret that in a positive way for veganism.

It looks like the photographer specifically picked out the most crunchy/unhealthy people he could find to slant his "photo essay".

I love the shot of me stuffing my face. nice. I have to say it's the best shot of me eating ever!

Fallen_Horse, The guy with Jimi is RAINRA (are you talking about the guy flexing?)

Just so you all know I searched to find out who has the domain name to see if I could find photos of the author ( I thought I remembered someone hanging around taking photos) this is what I found:

Registrant:

Thespian Separatist Productions

719 Humboldt

Apt. 2

Brooklyn, New York 11222

United States

contact info:

Southan, Rhys [email protected]

Thespian Separatist Productions

719 Humboldt

Apt. 2

Brooklyn, New York 11222

United States

(917) 650-1840

he also has another site: http://www.ideaprovince.com/page/2 which was listed on his facebook page, I searched for the domain registry and it's listed to the same person as letthemeatme, looks like he's "sickly" in his photos on facebook http://www.facebook.com/southan#/southan

he also has another site: http://www.ideaprovince.com/page/2 which was listed on his facebook page, I searched for the domain registry and it's listed to the same person as letthemeatme, looks like he's "sickly" in his photos on facebook http://www.facebook.com/southan#/southan

Usually how it works. People who go out of there way to dis other people usually have something they don't like about themselves.

When you think about all of the things you could do with your time and would like to do, but that you don't have a time it makes this guy seem like a loser. The only way he can find to spend his time is going to events or searching for pictures from events that he has no interest in, just so he can dis them.

Given a choice I would much rather be out with friends, doing something with my career or just surfing the net at sites that amuse me.

It is sad that this guy couldn't come up with nothing better.

Frick... he took them down. I saw some of them, but didnt get to see djshrews or anyone elses. Hope I didnt look too sickly.

Most blog software has a feature that will let the author know of a URL where a URL to his/her blog posts are posted. Maybe he came to the discussion here before deciding that he didn't want to be put under a hot unflattering light the way he was trying to do with others on his blog.

What did he say about Kenneth?

Wish he had the balls to put it back up!

Something about how "Vegan bodybuilders" are a disservice to the vegan community, because them taking care of themselves convinces vegans who are not taking proper care of themselves, that they are...Does that make sense?

"Something about how "Vegan bodybuilders" are a disservice to the vegan community, because them taking care of themselves convinces vegans who are not taking proper care of themselves, that they are...Does that make sense?"

I guess he's countering his first argument of began BBers looking sickly since they look healthy enough to bring folks into the vegan fold.

As far as getting pics of this author i'd search facebook, myspace and google with the guy's name and his email addresses. You can find out a whole lot about people with the digital footprints they leave around. If you can find out what university he went to they'll probably have some things about him posted as well. Universities seem to be not so mindful about privacy.

A lot of times I see vegans at like potlucks and honestly they're as physiologically as diverse as the general population. Even at the gym, where I assume most folks are on a regular diet, very few are anywhere near muscular. I'm not at the point physically where I'd like to be but my friends and folks that don't even know me regard me as fit and healthy and strong...sometimes when they find out i'm vegan then for some reason there are concerns. But when I say i've been vegan for 7 or 8 years (I don't keep track of it anymore) it seems to give them pause and usually is a decent explanation.

Oh, I've already done the photo search and found tons of photos, I found old articles he wrote at his college and about 3 other blogs he has, including one about beating the guy that wrote Napoleon dynamite (I guess they went to high school together). After I saw his photos I remembered him, he was the creepy guy stalking people at the fest. I feel like a celebrity with my own paparazzi maybe I should get a meat eating bodyguard like the one he mentioned in his post.

Hey guys! I saw this and thought I'd register and leave you a note. I'm Rhys's brother and a vegan for almost 6 years now (veg for 12). I just wanted to apologize for the asinine behavior on his part and any annoyance it may have caused. I also wanted to give a little background about his failure as a vegan. He went vegan years before I did and though he was initially brought in by the AR aspects (it fits in with his libertarian philosophy which sprang from his hatred of public schools), he quickly became obsessed with the healthfulness of a vegan diet. He started working at a macrobiotic restaurant and cut out soy (aside from the occasional tempeh) and then seitan. Then he moved to nyc and he didn't have a lot of money so I know for a while at least, grains made up the majority of his diet. He never took dha, only infrequently took a multi-vitamin and never had his vitamin levels checked when he started feeling tired all the time. Then, miraculously, once he started eating fish and joined a gym he felt a lot better. Amazing huh?

When I found out (yesterday) that he secretly created this blog, I was surprised. In retrospect, as you've noted here with his beatjeremycoon web site, he does actually have a history of complaining rather than making positive changes in his life. After feeling some regret, he took down the photos and quotes from vegan message boards (some of which included my friends) which he had posted purely for mockery.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I've lurked this board for a while and I think it's a great place. I don't look as great as a lot of you guys but I'm certainly no more "sickly" than my brother. Maybe you'll see more of me here.

Hey guys! I saw this and thought I'd register and leave you a note. I'm Rhys's brother and a vegan for almost 6 years now (veg for 12). I just wanted to apologize for the asinine behavior on his part and any annoyance it may have caused. I also wanted to give a little background about his failure as a vegan. He went vegan years before I did and though he was initially brought in by the AR aspects (it fits in with his libertarian philosophy which sprang from his hatred of public schools), he quickly became obsessed with the healthfulness of a vegan diet. He started working at a macrobiotic restaurant and cut out soy (aside from the occasional tempeh) and then seitan. Then he moved to nyc and he didn't have a lot of money so I know for a while at least, grains made up the majority of his diet. He never took dha, only infrequently took a multi-vitamin and never had his vitamin levels checked when he started feeling tired all the time. Then, miraculously, once he started eating fish and joined a gym he felt a lot better. Amazing huh?

When I found out (yesterday) that he secretly created this blog, I was surprised. In retrospect, as you've noted here with his beatjeremycoon web site, he does actually have a history of complaining rather than making positive changes in his life. After feeling some regret, he took down the photos and quotes from vegan message boards (some of which included my friends) which he had posted purely for mockery.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I've lurked this board for a while and I think it's a great place. I don't look as great as a lot of you guys but I'm certainly no more "sickly" than my brother. Maybe you'll see more of me here.

Hey thanks for coming on here and clarifying it. From what I remember he was a skinny little guy bouncing aroung taking pictures. So who is he to judge?

Anyway, Ive made a positive change becoming vegan and I love it no matter what anyone says. I def have a better body because of it and can go toe to toe with any non-vegan here in my city and more than likely outshine them when it comes to physique.

Why dont you post more by joining our community on a regular basis and add to the positive aspects of veganism? After this post Id like to see more of ya.

Thanks Coroho!!

vegimator, thanks for coming over here and posting your message. You are welcome here.

If you don't mind I am curious.

The post your brother took down consisted of pictures from recent veg festivals in Washington DC and another one in Toronto. Both cities are far from each other. It is kind of odd for someone not into veganism to go to the trouble and expense of traveling to those festivals. How did you brother come to be at those events to take his pictures?

vegimator, thanks for coming over here and posting your message. You are welcome here.

If you don't mind I am curious.

The post your brother took down consisted of pictures from recent veg festivals in Washington DC and another one in Toronto. Both cities are far from each other. It is kind of odd for someone not into veganism to go to the trouble and expense of traveling to those festivals. How did you brother come to be at those events to take his pictures?

God, now that you mention it, I think he's been weaving quite a web of deception for my benefit!

He also posted photos from the World Veg Fest in San Francisco (where I live) which he visited while living in Palo Alto with his friend's mom. He of course didnt tell me he was going to that. He claimed he was going to Toronto to move there because rent was cheap and he thought he could get a lot of writing done (he's always working on screenplays) but then he left to live in Palo Alto rent free.

I don't even remember him going to DC but I don't know what reason he would have had to go there. Today he told me he's thinking about writing an anti-vegan book (presumably a la Lierre Keith's horrendous "Vegetarian Myth") so I guess he was just doing research?