Aloha!

vegmama

hi all! i'm so excited to be joining such a wonderful community! i've always been active, and got into bodybuilding during college (at the time i was a meat eater). in grad school, i picked up ashtanga yoga and ultrarunning and stopped lifting heavy weights (though i still miss the smell of iron at times...). through yoga, i met my husband and the man who would inspire me to go vegan (he's been vegetarian for 15 years and vegan for 10). i had already become intrigued about veganism b/c one of my ultrarunning idols was scott jurek, who is vegan. i see mark coates has a profile here too! (a quick shout out to mark - i used to run with the VHTRC folks - organizers of the MMT100 miler!)

when i started my phd program, i stopped ultrarunning b/c it can take up a lot of time and started to focus on yoga. now i'd like to get back into fitness. having been a vegan for a few years, i don't doubt its superiority in terms of health, but i also want to learn from all of you here re: how you plan out your diets. i'm not an ultra-endurance athlete anymore, nor do i lift heavy currently, so my needs will be different from most of you hard bodies!

many thanks to rob who started up this amazing resource!!

• 6 months later...

Hi Veg Mama! I lived in Honolulu for 2 years and became teacher certified in Ashtanga Yoga at "Yoga-Hawaii". Just wondering if that's where you practice? I remember that I was into weight training at the 24 hr fitness in Hawaii-Kai and then started the Ashtanga stuff and quit the weight training for a while (because I was building more muscle from the Ashtanga, quite frankly). Has that been your experience too? I have not been doing the Ashtanga lately because I herniated a disc in my back about a year ago (avoiding the kurmasana and similar asanas like the plague) and I'm just getting back into weight training (although I use Hatha to get going in the mornings). Are you getting back into weights (is that why you joined this site?) I must say, I admire you're keeping fit while raising a baby and getting your PhD. Must be the trade winds...

• 4 months later...

hi brendaC! sorry i only just saw this now!! my husband was recently authorized by KPJAYI in mysore, india and is now in charge of the mysore program at yoga hawaii!! so that's where i practice now. the weight lifting was fun, but i really missed my practice. are you still in hawaii by any chance?? i'll PM you just in case you're like me and never check back on old posts. it would be lovely to connect if you're still in the area!

Many thanks, LnG! Honestly, those short races are a lot harder - whereas you can cruise in an ultra, you've gotta suffer the burn in shorter races! I remember running 5k and 10k races as training and would feel like dying the whole time, but on the trails... it was like a beautiful jaunt with some suffering and lots of socializing!

Just ordered Sun Warrior and Vega from VeganProteins - super, super excited to try them both!!