What I eat

Jay

I don't like to waste time thinking about food so I like to eat the same things day after day. In order to get enough variety I make a couple kinds of stews.

Minestrone like thing

Boil chopped green onions, pasta, one can green beans, one can peas, two cans dark red kidney beans, one jar of prego tomato sauce, with some olive oil. Eat away. About 100 grams of protein total. Calories probably around 2000.

Or chopped green onions, pasta, two cans green beans (I like french cut), two cans peas, one jar of prego tomato sauce and some olive oil.

Vegan "keilbasa" like thing

Boil one large chopped onion, two green peppers, two cans dark red kidney beans, lots of carrots, some olive oil and maybe some spinach or something else green. When it's well boiled add something tomato. I like a jar of prego sauce plus 3 small cans of concentrated tomato paste. Probably like 80 or so grams of protein.

Antioxidant shake

Lots of frozen blueberries along with either frozen mangoes, or pineapple or as a las resort peaches/apricots. Add a little coconut milk and then a bunch of rice milk. No protein but protein is way overrated. People need to eat more fruit. (Nothing has more antioxidants than blueberries.)

Snacks

Eziekel (sp) sprouted bread toasted in the oven with peanut butter or better almond or cashew butter. A slice of this bread has 5 grams of protein.

Raw broccoli with hummus

Or something from Amy's occasionally; soups/burritoes.

..Oh yeah. a couple spoonsfuls of flax seed oil each day and some liquid B-12 once a week.

Edited by Jay

I've never heard that but it's probably true because factory farming soil is probably a little depleted plus pesticides or whatever. I just use the one brand of frozen blueberries available in Los Alamos. If they have fresh blueberries here it's 50/50 that they are already starting to rot. I don't live in crappy ole Toronto where I would have a hundred choices. I've never even seen wild blueberries being sold.

I do remember as a kid picking wild blackberries in West Virginia. I had planted a few blueberry, raspberry and blackberry bushes in my backyard when I lived there but they hadn't got really going before I had to leave.

jay, do you know if wild blueberries are better in terms of their health benefits then unwild blueberries or whatever the other kind if called?

Wild blueberries, though they are smaller, have a higher level of antioxidants than domestic blueberries.

Hmm, ya that is what I had read too. Interesting. So what exactly is the science behind that if anybody knows? Jay mentioned soil deficiency.

Here, they sell frozen WILD blueberries as well as domestic ones.

I reckon it's a pretty solid diet Jay, and interesting to see what you eat. I agree that eating the same stuff, or very similar stuff is a lot easier than thinking of a variety of things, and with preparation too. I pretty much eat the same stuff all the time, and my body seems to work better when it is getting the same meals every day. As long as they are decent meals then it's good.

i thinmk you'll find the "wild" blueberries are farmed too, but are grown out doors, whilst the others will be grown indoors in a climate controlled environment.

i thinmk you'll find the "wild" blueberries are farmed too, but are grown out doors, whilst the others will be grown indoors in a climate controlled environment.

Not in all cases tho. Sure there is a few blueberrie trees that are genuinely wild, i.e in the middle of nowhere that if people are passing they can eat a wild blueberry. So I think you'll find that gosh, you can get a genuinely wild bluberry.

jay, do you know if wild blueberries are better in terms of their health benefits then unwild blueberries or whatever the other kind if called?

Wild blueberries, though they are smaller, have a higher level of antioxidants than domestic blueberries.

Hmm, ya that is what I had read too. Interesting. So what exactly is the science behind that if anybody knows? Jay mentioned soil deficiency.

Here, they sell frozen WILD blueberries as well as domestic ones.

I guess they've taken certain strains that grow larger and mass planted/farmed them and not surprisingly they have fewer nutrients per a mass basis. That's sort of like what was done with corn I guess and probably a lot of other things.

Not in all cases tho. Sure there is a few blueberrie trees that are genuinely wild, i.e in the middle of nowhere that if people are passing they can eat a wild blueberry. So I think you'll find that gosh, you can get a genuinely wild bluberry.

guess what..they aren't sending people into the bush to find stray trees so they can bag the fruit and sell it...

keep in context t-dog.

guess what..they aren't sending people into the bush to find stray trees so they can bag the fruit and sell it...

keep in context t-dog.

Just pointing out whilst that there are farmed 'wild' berries ( or any fruit ), they will still be wild, wild berries/fruit growing. You know, it grows in the wild of its own accord. Marvellous thing is nature.

Hey, Jay,

Since you like raw broccoli, you might like my raw brawcamole

*Important* This entire recipe is done mostly to your taste. I add and subtract every time I make this; so taste as you go, etc. A few flavor enhancers I would recommend you *Not*

leave out would be the soy sauce, lime, and cilantro.

RaVen's BRawcamole-http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a247/Raven_PZ/Broccamole160x120.jpg

In a blender, blend to smooth:

1 lb green zucchini, chopped (remove center seeds*)

1-2 TB Nama Shoyu, (or other good-quality soy sauce)

2 TB Lime juice, freshly squeezed

Salt, to taste, if needed

1 small Garlic Clove

Chunk of onion, (@ 1/2 oz -Red, white, sweet)

1 tsp. Ground Coriander, or to taste

Fresh chiles, jalapeno, habanero, etc., to taste

Optionals/ Spices

Pulse or blend in to desired texture:

1-1 1/2 lbs Broccoli tops, chopped (see notes)

Pulse in:

Fresh Cilantro,** to taste

Pour into a bowl and fold in:

3-5 Green onions,** finely chopped (tops and whites),

1-2 C chopped tomatoes

1 - 2 Avocado, chopped, mashed, or both (see notes)

Additional Garnishes

Optionals/Ideas:

Green Pepper, such as Anaheim (the kind commonly roasted) or green Bell pepper - pulsed in.

Ground Cumin; Black Pepper; Ground Coriander; Ground Cayenne or Jalapeno; Salt, if needed; additional cilantro or parsely for garnish -- all to taste.

Add some green peas, frozen or fresh; cooked green split peas.

Scoop up with a warm corn tortilla, raw crackers, an assortment of raw vegetables, or tortilla chips; fill a pita, sandwich; eat as a side dish; or top a bowl of soup or salad.

---

*If your zucchini has large seeds or a lot of them, remove them with a spoon; it will reduce a weepy Brawcamole.

**Cilantro and green onions are notorious for a "soapy" flavor; this occurs when chopped ahead of time and added to a recipe; and this is why a lot of people think they hate

cilantro! Chop these right before adding; it should be fine that way. Just don't let it sit around, cut.

*Important* All of the ingredients can be blended to your preference. If you don't care for the texture -- if it's too crunchy -- then blend it well, etc.

Lemme know if you want to try my raw pasta sauce

It sounds good. I'll try it at least before Sunday.

Yes, I'd love to hear about your raw pasta sauce.

BTW, on the green smoothies what fruits do you like? I liked pears and collard greens a lot but tried apples with collard greens and really didn't care for it.

Cool, let me know how it comes out. Regular guac is good too, but this is a good way to eat raw broccoli, since it can be a tough veg for some to eat. Plus it's a lowfat way for me to eat guacamole.

You didn't like apples, ha? Hmm...did you try a really sweet apple, like Fuji?

I think pineapple is good and mangoes! Melons are bit too light in flavor, but super-sweet ones that come in season are good, like honeydew!

I have to say most of the summer fruits are great.

I sometimes use fruit that isn't exactly great to eat straight (like ones that aren't as sweet as they're supposed to be) in mine instead of throwing them away. Freeze 'em cut up in a bag and they're easy to throw in, and nice and cold! If I need more sweetness, I add stevia; I don't consume any sugar at all anymore.

I also like oranges, tangerines; but, again, they need to be sweet or I add stevia to fix it.

Believe it or not, I also like just lemon or lime! But I'm weird like that. I also use a larger percentage of greens now (worked my up to it over time); so my tastebuds have changed a lot.

Strawberries are good too. Blueberries I only use if I buy them fresh and they turn out to be too sour; the flavor doesn't come through enough for me to use regularly.

Another hint would be that if you find your fruit flavors aren't coming through enough, a splash of lemon will bring it out, like with strawberries, for example.

Frozen fruits are also convenient! Peaches, nectarines plums are good too because they are strong flavored.

I personally don't like bananas for smoothies, but that's a textural thing for me. I know a lot of people love them in green smoothies so you might test them out. Some people put avocados in too.

Oh, yea, and pears are good! Try other greens too. I like bok choy leaves (very mild) and try kale (the one that's labeled Italian or dinosaur instead of the curyly one).

Even lettuces are good! I find them very strong though, but some people find them good. Spinach is also mild.

------

Fast and easy! Plus no oil, and has healthy pecans!

RaVen's Raw Tomatoes and Pecan Sauce

1 lb. fresh, ripe, red Roma tomatoes

2 Garlic cloves, small (or to taste)

2 small or medium Carrots, chopped

1/2 C Pecans, raw

Basil, fresh, chopped or torn, to taste (@2TB or so)

Parsley, fresh, chopped, to taste

1 tsp Salt

Black Pepper, to taste

Turn on processor, add carrots and garlic and walnuts and blend.

Add tomatoes, salt and blend till smooth or to desired texture.

Add Basil, Parsley and Pepper and pulse-chop them in.

--------

I did the brawcamole yesterday but there weren't any avocadoes within a 30 minute drive (one way). Also I forgot the cilantro. Still it tasted really good. Until I added the green onions then the onion taste was too strong. But all in all, pretty good. I don't mind raw broccoli at all but never cared much for zucchini. It tastes good like this though.