Trying to stay away from flesh, eggs and milk

Kisha

I am at a loss with this vegetarian lifestyle and how I can truly build muscle/be fit. Since giving birth to my 5th daughter via c-section (after two VBAC's) I have been in a fitness & nutrition middle ground . I want to get back into shape but the only way I truly know how to do this is the typical American way of meat, veggies and brown rice. I wrote a book about it and everything (www.bloggersdiet.com). I am a personal trainer but since early 2008. I have learned so much about nutrition from a holistic perspective that I am downright confused now. I can't seem to get full on beans, rice and broccoli then I end up snacking on chips & veggie pizza. I am also a lover of supplements but things are a bit different when you go veg. I frequent sites like www.bodybuilding.com but they never have any transformation stories on women who are vegetarian or vegan who made the transition. I love muscle; the look and the feel. I don't want to be a thin or un-toned vegetarian chick like Natalia Rosa or The Kind diet chick for instance (love their work though).

Any guidance would be super-uber appreciated .

Hi Kisha Welcome to the board and congrats on wanting to go vegan - the world needs more of us!

I've been vegan for about 15 years now, and for the last few months I've been working on losing weight, because I didn't fit into my clothes any more and was very quickly turning into a lazy couch potato! You can be vegan and not skinny you know, is dead easy!

Anyway, just have a browse round the site, there are plenty not-skinny, but very fit and healthy vegan women on here - wouldn't count myself as mega-fit just yet, but it's work in progress!

Check the health and nutrition section, there's loads of info on there. Maybe start a food and exercise diary; it might well be that you think you eat loads, but that it actually doesn't amount to much compared to the energy you use up on a daily basis. Without knowing what you eat and do it is hard to give any nutrition advice.

Any case, hope you enjoy it here, this vegan work-in-progress should now shoot off to the gym for a much needed workout!

Hi Kisha!

I second MalcKiera's suggestion - starting a log with your training/eating can be helpful as it assists you in keeping track and others can offer their assistance.

A lot of times I think people say they can't get full on a veg diet because they're not eating as many calories as they think they are.

NOTE: I am a noob here. Take this with a grain of salt... Well, maybe not. Sodium is bad for you.

As an adult woman, it seems like you would be safe to load up on soy protein. The levels of phyto-estrogen in soy products can make it troublesome for males or children. But it seems like this wouldn't make a noticeable difference in an adult woman.

Anyway, you'll get lots of well rounded nutritional advice around here for meals, etc. But adding 20 or 25mg of soy protein supplements per day and a few other soy products should give your body plenty of protein to work with.

Good luck either way.

Thank you for your comment. I have heard so much yuck about soy protein that I'm not sure of it's goodness anymore. I was a soy nut a few years ago but since I heard all this new data (may be old data but new to me) well, I 'd rather avoid it or at least keep it to strict moderation.

I do appreciate your input though.

Thanks!

There are a lot of protein sources that nutritionally speaking are on par with the standard "meat, brown rice and broc" diet and very tasty too. seitan, tempeh, tofu (if prepared correctly is quite delicious) and of course (if you've got the cash) fake meats.

Also my boyfriend and I run a website store called www.veganproteins.com that sell vegan protein supplements for bodybuilders and such.

PM me if you have and questions or want any additional help.