my dog

Cold Fission

I'm kind of uneasy about feeding animals something outside their natural diet too much... I get my cats organic cat food, but if they're not getting their natural diet, and especially if you give them certain 'people food', they can develop some problems. I've never been one for imposing my practices upon anyone else, but especially my pets. But, do what you will, just consider taking them to the vet and keeping up on their health just in case

I've seen the dog food they have on veganessentials but i can't find anything like them in Australia and shipping will cost a lot for the weight of the amount i will need to give him.They have 20kg bags of hemp animal feed on the site where i get my hemp powder from but he would still need to get all his other minerals and vitamins from another food.Do they sell vegan dog food like the 1's on veganessentials in Australia?

Total dog person here!!! Tell us more about him! What's his name, how old is he, what's he like - wanna know it all!!

I've been feeding my dogs a vegan diet for over 7 years now and have been cooking for them for the last 5 1/2. My dogs are healthy and happy, they love their fod and they are fine with keeping up a pretty active life style: I'm doing agility with one of them and I've just started running with the other one, with a view to start CaniX events later this year.

They do get vegan kibble in the morning, with a dollop of soya yoghurt, and in the evening I cook us all a meal. I just adhere to some basic guidelines, i.e. low fat and no added salt. I might use some stock powder every now and then or Marmite, as it's also a source of B12. Dogs cannot have onions, raisins and other vine fruits, the green bits and roots on potatoes, chocolate, alcohol and caffeine, so none of those is ever featured in anything they might eat.

For protein we have, like vegan humans, a variety of soya, beans and lentils.

Over the years my dogs have been checked over regularly by their vet, who is happy with their physical condition and behaviour and knows all about their diet. Another vet was dead against it in the beginning, but after having been in close contact with one of my dogs (who sadly died of cancer last year), admitted that she had completely changed her mind. Apparently keeping Malcolm happy and going strong for so long after his diagnosis was something that she had never expected!

I can go on for ever and ever about feeding dogs a vegan diet, if you want to know more about food and supplements, by all means send me a PM!

As for "imposing one's own practices on pets", even if you do feed them meat, you are still the one deciding what brand, what flavour and how much thereof your animal friends will get, so you are still making those decisions for them. Given the chance, my dogs would choose tinned food, with a lot of unhealthy additives in it and little nutritional value, manufactured, on top of that, by a VERY unethical brand. They would love their food even more, but would become obese, unhealthy and in all likelihood develop behavioural issues. I love my dogs as well as other creatures too much to leave that decision up to them.

He's name is Zardi and he is 5 years old.He does this funny thing where he sprawls out on his stomach and crawls, dragging his back legs along making gorilla noises.He likes to play tug-a-war instead of fetching things.I used to be able to out run him but now he out runs me when we run on the beach.

Thanks for the info MalcKiera.

I'm kind of uneasy about feeding animals something outside their natural diet too much... I get my cats organic cat food, but if they're not getting their natural diet, and especially if you give them certain 'people food', they can develop some problems. I've never been one for imposing my practices upon anyone else, but especially my pets. But, do what you will, just consider taking them to the vet and keeping up on their health just in case

I found out that dogs are omnivores and cats are carnivores.I'm thinking of feeding him quinoa and lentils as the bulk of his food.I already add kelp to his food and it makes him a lot healthier.

Yep, my shop sells vegan cat and dog food, but exporting to Australia for big bags of kibble is REALLY expensive. However, you're in luck - there is an Australian manufacturer of vegan dog and cat kibble, so check out http://www.veggiepets.com.au for more info. I've always heard really good things about their products, so perhaps they'll have what you're looking for!