My brother wants to go vegan, but needs to GAIN weight....

(Yes, I already posted about my sister who's gone vegetarian as a first step towards veganism, thanks everyone for your suggestion, she's getting her hunger and bloating issues under control now...)

My brother really believes in animal rights and is hugely against factory farming, but he's in a dilemma, because he's recovering from cult starvation and is underweight for his height and has been for some time. At 6' he only weighs 143 lbs. (Yes, we know there are some very slim/wiry vegans out there, but for his frame and build, this is an unnatural weight. Other men in the family who are similar height/build, slim, eat healthy, and are very active weigh at least 180 lbs.)

He needs to gain muscle to be at a healthy physique, and so he's been holding off on going vegan because he believes he needs the meat and dairy to help him gain weight, and he's afraid if he goes vegan he'll lose weight or not gain or at least have a very difficult time gaining.

What's everyone's thoughts on this? Can he gain muscle at a good rate without having to rely on meat and dairy? He really wants to transition but he's afraid to at this point due to the weight issue.

(Yes, I already posted about my sister who's gone vegetarian as a first step towards veganism, thanks everyone for your suggestion, she's getting her hunger and bloating issues under control now...)My brother really believes in animal rights and is hugely against factory farming, but he's in a dilemma, because he's recovering from cult starvation and is underweight for his height and has been for some time. At 6' he only weighs 143 lbs. (Yes, we know there are some very slim/wiry vegans out there, but for his frame and build, this is an unnatural weight. Other men in the family who are similar height/build, slim, eat healthy, and are very active weigh at least 180 lbs.)

Guess it has to do with where his beliefs are in regards to animal farming period. And weather meat and dairy fit in in his belief system.

He needs to gain muscle to be at a healthy physique, and so he's been holding off on going vegan because he believes he needs the meat and dairy to help him gain weight, and he's afraid if he goes vegan he'll lose weight or not gain or at least have a very difficult time gaining.

As far as his weight, just a side note, but it is my belief that things such as lactose intolerance is suffered by many more people that don't know that they suffer from it. The body will compensate for what could be looked at as something poisonous to that individual, and they not realize it due to constant consumption. One consequence of this could be weight loss.

What's everyone's thoughts on this? Can he gain muscle at a good rate without having to rely on meat and dairy? He really wants to transition but he's afraid to at this point due to the weight issue.

I would search up and familiarize myself with Caloric dense foods that don't come off the shelf in a box, if you know what I mean. All at the same time as having a good balanced diet with a healthful variety. One reason being all phytochemicals and such are not found, or at the same level in just a few food sources.

I say it's possible to gain weight on a healthful vegan diet, we have people here who are doing it. Like Vegan Joe said, the key is to incorporate calorie-dense foods...things like nuts, avocados, whole grains, legumes, etc. It might be helpful to track calories for a little bit to make sure you are getting enough.

I myself was underweight at one stage, however managed to put on about 40 lbs in one year on a diet which consisted 90% of beans, pasta, rice, nuts and soy milk... Sure a lot of it was fat but I felt 10 times better than when I was underweight..

Just sayin...

Yup. Aim for nutrient-dense foods and proper rest. Lots of greens (preferably juiced), yams, sweet potatoes, brown rice, oats, quinoa, buckwheat, almonds, walnuts, legumes, beans, whole grain wheat (if gluten isn't a problem)...good luck