Tired of being tired

I cannot for the life of me figure out why I am so tired all of the time! I used to drink coffee regularly, and realized that it was hurting, not helping me to be more energized. So I stopped drinking it at the end of the summer, roughly 5 months ago. That helped a bit.

I eat what I think is a healthy diet. Anyone wanna take a gander?

Typical day is

8:30 black tea, green smoothie (almond milk, spinach, spirulina, banana, protein powder, frozen strawberries)

10:30-11am maybe a piece of sprouted grain bread with nat. pb

1pm-brown rice, beans, handful of spinach

7pm- this is where it is inconsistent. just some snack to hold me until giacomo gets home for dinner. almonds and fruit maybe? a fruition bar?

9:45 pm dinner is usually, tempeh, beans and a TON of greens.

The ONLY thing I can think of is that I lost my job right before Christmas and no longer have a "set schedule" and that may be throwing me off? I work a lot from home on the computer but its not the same. I hit the gym about 4 days a week. Take my dogs constantly and get plenty of fresh air, although not much sunshine since i live in portland oregon and its february....

I have no clue. but i know by 4 everyday, i want a nap. and even if i do take one, i am still in bed at midnight and sleeping til 8:30ish or later. WHAT GIVES

Carbs....its called "energy" for a reason and it seems like you are skimping on them for lunch and dinner.

Take care of the usual suspects, b-12, EFAs.

Depression can drain energy.

Adrenal fatigue from your previous coffee habit. That can take months to get over.

Then there is always overtraining.

Joe I think you might be right.

Molly, I suppose it's possible although extremely unlikey.

bw, I suppose based on rereading what i wrote it kind of looks like that, but i assure you-i eat plenty of carbs. these bowls of brown rice are big! and often i substitute that for the beans at dinner, I just dont like to because it makes me uncomfortable when i sleep.

I also forgot to mention that as the days go by and i get more tired, I am also getting increasingly cold, even though it is actually getting warmer outside. Those two symptoms (based on all of my scienctific googling ) point to hypothyroidism. Not sure how one's thyroid becomes underactive as a healthy 24 year old.

I also just picked up a b-complex and will try to take vitamin D everyday too and see if that helps. Giacomo is starting to get worried about me, and I suppose I will be seeing a doctor soon :-/ this blows.

am i reading it right that you're not eating anything between 1 and 7? either way, your calories seem a little low for working out 4x a week. would you consider amping em up a little bit with some complex carbs or protein in that time span? I would throw in a little more efa too, maybe in the morning or at night.

Coldness can also be caused by hormonal fluctuations and/or imbalance, which, if i'm not mistaken, efa can help stabilize over time. (kind of related: a couple docs have told me there's also a link between raynaud's syndrome and efa's... it seemed to help someone i care about with it.)

and yeah, you're in portland oregon, only for your second rainy season. it's pretty common, and not really too surprising. you might find yourself spending a couple of hours in the sun some rare day, and looking around, and seeing all these usually sad sluggish people being bright and energetic, then notice you are too. you know how people seem to come out of the woodwork around here when the sun shines the first couple of days, it's pretty cool.

if you need the name of a naturopath i know a couple good ones.

yeah you're reading it right. haha. i try to eat something in between then but sometimes it doesnt happen. as for efa's, i can work on that. I instituted about 6 different things yesterday from a b vitamin complex, vitamin D pills, chewing on Kelp, vega sport, so why not efa's? Can't hurt right?

And I have to agree that Portland is just as you describe. But I was prepared for it this year!!!! Dammit! Last year, i hybernated until the sun came back out and that just kinda screwed me over mentally. So this year I am going out and exercising just as much as I did in the summer and it is definately helping. But take today for example--it's beautiful and sunny out and i can barely bring myself to walk the dogs-agter getting 9 hours of sleep. It just ain't right.

Well I believe I have a dr's appt next week, so we shall see.

From the way that you describe your problem (sleeping too much, or too often) and self-medication with caffeine your problem sounds more like excessive sleepiness and mental fatigue than a lack of physical energy. If this is the case then it's likely not related to your diet and the cause needs to be determined by a doctor. It could be sleep apnea, or narcolepsy, or hypothyroidism, or depression, or a dozen other unrelated things.

I agree with the possibilty that it could very well be a vitamin D deficiency and/ or hypothyroidism/ adrenal fatigue. Try supplementing with vitamin D-3 and sea kelp if you haven't already. How is your intake of Omega 3-6-9 fats? Also, I recommend raw juices- mainly veggie juices- to jump start yourself in the morning. That has helping me greatly in improving morning fatigue. I've also read that virgin coconut oil (about 1-2 tbsp per day) has greatly helping those with fatigue/ adrenal issues as well as taking 1-2 tbsp of raw organic apple cider vinegar (yes, I know it sounds gross) mixed with a big glass of water a few times per day. I take that every day and it has helped increase my mental clarity and energy. Take care