New Vegan doing figure comp.

rowan16

I've only been vegan since January 1, so I'm REALLY new, but I'm loving it. I'm also planning on doing a figure comp. this year, probably in July. I'm trying to set up a meal plan, but thought I might get some input from those of you who've done this before. Does anyone use a significant amount of seitan? I don't want to use soy products very often so I'm trying to find alternatives. I am trying to get over my mental road block that tells me "legumes are not protein, they're a carb". Any advice would be appreciated!

Regina

I wouldn't go using huge amounts of seiten any time soon because its made predominantly from gluten - a protein found in wheat etc, which many people are allergic to, and quite easily causes bloating, sore joints etc. I'm not saying I avoid gluten all together, but its something I eat less and less of these days.

If you're after a decent source of protein check out some of the powders made from pea, brown rice, and hemp. You can find them in a lot of health food stores, but often I find the internet can be significantly cheaper

PS: I still think legumes are great, and you can probably still factor them into your diet, depending on what kind of caloric ratio you're shooting for... I think they deserve more cred than just being a carb

You don't NEED soy or seitan.

I drink soy milk daily (which could be replaced with rice/hemp/nut milk) and tofu/fake meat products maybe about once a week.

The bulk of my protein for the day is from legumes/nuts/seeds/grains (quinoa/brown rice)/nutrional yeast/protein powders (brown rice protein i use at the moment).

I tracked my calories yesterday and it came to about 170g protein for 2900kcal.

And I'll second legumes being great! I never go through a day without at least a tin. Usually 2 Don't be scared of them!