We analyzed my diet in my nutrition science class today...

LauraJ

I'm in a lab group with three other girls in my nutrition science class, and we all had to track what we ate online for 5 days and compare to see what our nutrient intakes were. At the start of the class a few weeks ago when they found out I was a vegan, they asked about how I got various nutrients, so it was kind of funny to see today that my nutrient intake is better than theirs. They were shocked that a vegan ate more protein than them.

AND my vitamins and minerals would have looked even better had I been able to enter my multivitamin I take occasionally and Vega (they weren't in the online software), but I still met more vitamin and mineral requirements than them.

The professor was impressed. It made me smile.

Dr. Michael Gregor ( veganmd.org) always makes fun of that "but where do you get ___" mindset as the reverse is often true. The ONLY think most omnis get in abundance is b-12, protein and saturated fat. They tend to be deficient in more things than vegans who eat sensibly and who avoid food religions within veganism.

Awesome, I'd like to see what your diet is like for my own sake

Basically just a bunch of vegetables, some fruit, beans, a bit of nuts and seeds, tofu, tempeh, grains (oatmeal, couscous, quinoa...) and a lot of nutritional yeast (I think I'm addicted to that stuff).

Cool!

Didn't anyone bring up the issues of B12 or Iodine?

Did you?

For some reason the program didn't track iodine. We didn't talk about B12, but I got a bit over the recommended about, as well as the other three in my group, so it probably didn't stand out as much to them. It should also be noted that none of these girls are really concerned with any of these things, so it's not like I was being compared to meat eaters who also care about health. That doesn't change the fact that according to that program, I got more than the minimum amount for many nutrients vegans are often accused of not getting, though.

Awesome!

At work we had a health screening a few months ago, and I was definitely way healthier than anyone else...it wasn't really the same thing where they tracked nutrients, it was more of a fat and cholesterol thing. My HDL was high and LDL was low, unlike all those sedentary meat eaters.

They gave us a questionnaire where we filled out how many servings of this or that we eat, and I got to put zero servings down for milk (they had that on there like it was its own food group), so hopefully that will go into some statistics somewhere and show that my teeth and bones are healthy without milk. There are still so many people who think you can only get calcium in milk. Sad.