Brand New & Needing Advice Please!!!!!!

juiceelucie

Evening All!!!

Im a brand new vegan (been vegetarian for a year time for the next step....) and brand new to this site.....

I am needing to lose 5kg in the next 2 months to get in a lower weight category for my next powerlifting competition and need some recommendations on diet programs on here or any links you have and the results they have seen!!

Also looking for the best vegan protein powder on the uk markets?!?! Can someone help? Like an alternative to soy if possible as already have a high amount of that in my diet and the oestragen levels dont need to get any higher!!!

Also if you just wanna say hey to the new girl.....that'd be cool too!

Peace out. Big Love

JL x

Hey, welcome to the boards!

You may find this thread useful.

Myprotein.co.uk has all these, very cheap. (plus they mark what's vegan)

Others I've used are vega, which is more a meal replacement, and it's £57/kilo (including postage here) - only 13g or so of protein per scoop. There's a vega sport out which is much more suited, but haven't seen it in UK yet - price will prob be very similar. It's a bit expensive for this purpose.

There's also sunwarrior which also sunwarrior which is raw brown rice protein. £43/kg (including postage), as opposed to myprotein's £12/kg (without postage. this is even cheaper if you order 2.5kg at a time). Flavoured stuff isn't available in UK (for sunwarrior).

I use brown rice protein, after you get used to the consistency I find it the best tasting. Also for variety since I drink a couple of glasses of soy milk a day, and tofu every few days.

I'm pretty new to powerlifting, but I've been vegan for seven years. Do you have any vegan or vegan-friendly cookbooks yet? I'm not big on protein shakes or supplements, I mostly just stuff my face (in a healthy way). So I could give you some of my favorite easy recipes, if you want. I guess I don't have a lot of advice on losing a little weight before competition, since I haven't done that yet.

Oh, and welcome!

why thanks for all the friendly hello's!!!

i am going to try a pea protein (hmmmmm!) and see how that goes but i will check out myprotein as well as i have used them before and found them to be very good!!!

ok next question.....im totally n utterly confused about what im looking for on food labels....if it says suitable for vegetarians and i cant see any dairy related products listed can i eat it??

so confusing!!!

any receipes welcome guys....im not a big fan of rice and i try to stay away from the carbs...so please please please inspire me!!!!

just found out will be competing at the bdfpa british unequipped championships in late march so need to be mean, lean and strong by then!!!

JL XXX

ok next question.....im totally n utterly confused about what im looking for on food labels....if it says suitable for vegetarians and i cant see any dairy related products listed can i eat it??

Use this web search type in the product you're looking for - http://www.vegansociety.com/afssearch.aspx (if the product doesn't come up it doesn't necessarily mean it's not vegan).

There used to be a full list sold as a book but haven't saw it for a while (Animal Free Shopper). As well as list of products, it has a list of non-vegan ingredients. There's LOADS more than just dairy - and most of the time they aren't labelled as something you'd instantly recognise.

When I first went vegan I used to try and find pre-made products absolutely everywhere in supermarkets and would always have my book handy. This was incredibly stressful and doubled the time I spent shopping. When I started working out I started getting my diet sorted out and now there's very little I use with more than one ingredient, I pretty much just use wholefoods (with the exception of soy milk/tofu/protein powders). It's healthier and less stressful.

I'd rather spend my time preparing fresh, healthy food of which I know exactly what's in it, than spend it in shop aisles (or online) reading the ingredients of refined pieces of crap which will make me feel rubbish.

I'd rather spend my time preparing fresh, healthy food of which I know exactly what's in it, than spend it in shop aisles (or online) reading the ingredients of refined pieces of crap which will make me feel rubbish.

First of all, I like Chewy's use of the word rubbish. Second of all, I totally agree with him. It's sometimes more expensive, but easier to figure out, if you just buy whole foods. Tofu and soy milk are the only moderately processed foods I buy anymore. Dried beans are really cheap, so that's something I frequently purchase. If you're trying to avoid carbs, maybe try making healthy stews with lots of beans (whatever ones sound good to you, I like lentils), a variety of veggies, and olive or canola oil or something along those lines. Dried lentils only take about fifteen mintues to cook, so they're pretty easy to just toss in a stockpot along with vegetable broth and whatever else.

thanks all have taken your advice on board and will be looking to buy whole foods instead....just sometimes have those days where you cant be arrrrrrrrrsssssssssseeed and just want an easy life lol.

feel free to update me on any new & exciting receipe's you come accross am currently living on steamed veg n salad yawn!!! want something more exciting!!!

p.s just tried pea protein................... i need help! what can i mix it with to make it taste vaguely bearable!

JL xx