Adena gets strong!

Adena

So far, this week has been awesome! I really didn't expect it. When I took time off from strength training and worked endurance for a month, I expected to lost a little of my strength gains, especially since I also was cutting. As of Monday, my bodyweight was down to 128. I'm back to gaining strength, even though I'm not taking in as many calories. (I think I'm doing it right!)

Bench Press Day

Bench Press:

1x5x45

1x5x65

1x5x85

1x3x90

3x12x65

J & Press:

3x12x45

Push-Ups:

1x12

1x10

1x8

Squat Day

Parallel Squats:

1x5x135

1x5x155

1x5x165

Oly Squats (A2G):

3x5x145

I'm taking my time with working on form and flexibility for these.

3 sets of Lunges with 35 pound plate held overhead

I have to say, I think the last four weeks of mixing it up and working on endurance really, really helped so far. I didn't feel nearly as winded as usual during this session. Awesome! We'll see what I can deadlift on Friday or Saturday!

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deadlift Day

I guess I didn't have time for much dilly-dallyign on Friday. The only thing I wrote down was deadlifting.

Deadlift:

1x5x135

1x5x165

1x5x185

Bench Day, Tuesday 8/24

Bench:

1x3x45

1x3x70

1x3x80

1x3x90

1x16x65

1x10x65

1x8x65

1x6x65

Bench with bands:

1x4x65

2x3x65

Push-Ups:

1x14

1x12

1x10

Assisted Chin-Ups, three sets

Two chin-ups, unassisted

Squat Day, 8/25/10

Parallel Squat:

1x3x45

1x3x135

1x3x150

1x5x165

A2G Squats:

3x5x155

Pistol Squats, first attempt ever

8 reps each leg, poorly executed, not even halfway down...How the heck do you balance on one leg while doing these? Haha, at least I got a good laugh out of it.

Lunges with 35 lb plate held overhead, three sets

Looking good with the workouts there, Adena! Keep it up!

And, for the record, pistol squats seem to be easier to balance the deeper you go, but once you get to the absolute bottom, it's no so fun getting back up! I suck at them, but I found that for the first few attempts, use the hand on the side you're squatting on to have a finger or two balance you on the descent. That's the only way I can get all the way down without falling over!

what the f!

I never noticed in your log that you've been doing ass to grass squats, and today, during workout, I changed my assistance squats to as deep as I could go (not high bar like I think you're doing). You must be my evil twin!

And even funnier, last week when I was in London I was trying 1 legged squats.

Are you back on Wendler's now? It's hard to tell looking at someone's log because of the last set being to failure and warmups and stuff.

Keep working!

Looking good with the workouts there, Adena! Keep it up!

And, for the record, pistol squats seem to be easier to balance the deeper you go, but once you get to the absolute bottom, it's no so fun getting back up! I suck at them, but I found that for the first few attempts, use the hand on the side you're squatting on to have a finger or two balance you on the descent. That's the only way I can get all the way down without falling over!

Hey, thanks for the tip man! I thought using a hand to balance would be "cheating," haha!

what the f!

I never noticed in your log that you've been doing ass to grass squats, and today, during workout, I changed my assistance squats to as deep as I could go (not high bar like I think you're doing). You must be my evil twin!

And even funnier, last week when I was in London I was trying 1 legged squats.

Are you back on Wendler's now? It's hard to tell looking at someone's log because of the last set being to failure and warmups and stuff.

Keep working!

Yes...but which one of us is really the evil one? Mwa-ha-ha!

I'm doing the Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 again, but I'm leaving out overhead press for now...I think next month I'll switch and do overhead press instead of bench. I'm going to see if I see more gains by giving one of them a rest each month.

Deadlift Day

Deadlift:

1x3x135

1x3x150

1x3x175

1x3x195

No chalk today, so that last set was a little tricky, but I made it.

Rack Pulls:

3x1x225

Good Mornings:

1x5x135

3x3x185

Farmer's Walks with two 45 lb plates in each hand

Plate Pinches with two 5 lb plates pinched between each hand for time

Bench Day

Bench Press:

1x5x80

1x3x90

1x0x100

1x2x95

1x17x65

1x12x65

1x11x65

1x9x65

1x10x65

Push-Ups:

1x12

1x10

1x9

It's been a crazy week...not enough to eat on bench day, no time to work in some cardio, too much stuff going on! My grandpa is in the hospital so I went to visit him one night, and then on another evening I met with the "invitation ladies" at my parents' house so I could pick out my invitations. We're never going to get it all done on time...

Log is looking solid as always, Adena!

Sorry to hear about your grandpa - hope he'll be feeling better soon.

Wedding planning - ugh. Hearing about it always reminds me why Courtney and I ran off to Jamaica for a ceremony on the beach that was done in 15 minutes. Going through all that stuff to plan for a big event would have driven me insane (or, at the least, crazier than I already am!)

Squat Day

Parallel Squat:

1x5x135

1x5x140

1x3x160

1x1x175

A2G Squats:

3x3x165

Lunges w/35 lb plate overhread:

3 sets

Deadlift Day

Deadlift:

1x5x135

1x5x160

1x3x185

1x3x205

Rack Pulls:

3x3x225

Good Mornings:

1x5x135

3x5x185

Farmer's Walks w/two 45 lb plates:

3 sets to failure

Plate pinches w/two 5 lb plates pinched between thumb and fingers:

3 sets to failure for each hand

This week is Deload Week, which just means I'm lifting 40%, 50%, and 60% of my 1RM, then attempting to do lots of cardio. I'm still deciding what to focus on next month. Do I want to switch it up again and work on overhead press and olympic lifts, or just keep working on my bench? I think I feel like I need to gain some momentum on bench for a few more months before switching it up again. Ok, the decision is made!

Bench Day

Bench Press:

1x5x45

1x5x70

1x5x80

1x4x90

1x10x75

1x10x70

3x10x65

Bench with Bands:

3x5x65

Push-Ups:

1x14

1x10

1x7

Squat Day

Parallel Squat:

1x5x120

1x5x140

1x5x160

A2G Squats:

1x5x135

2x5x145

Leg Press:

1x20x220

1x16x260

1x16x280

I messed around with hip abductors and adductors for a little bit, then called it a day.

Well, my grandpa passed away on Saturday so this week has been rather hectic. And sad. So I didn't lift at all. I simply didn't have time. I managed to get a little cardio in, but that's about it.

I ended up firing the invitation ladies my mom hired. They canceled multiple meetings with us and were taking forever. Bought some pre-made blank invitations at a store and took them to a print shop. It's all on me now instead of wishy washy people I barely know who are unprofessional. Now it'll get done on time.

Still need to taste test that vegan wedding cake!

Ok, I'm back! Feeling a little weak, but I decided to do a "do-over" week since I skipped last week. So I am using the same weights as last time, and trying to slowly increase my calories back up to a normal level.

Bench Day

Bench Press:

1x5x45

1x5x70

1x5x80

1x4x90

5x10x65

Found some small chains and decided to goof around with those. So I did something along the lines of:

3x5x65 with chains

Push-Ups:

1x16

1x12

1x10

Yesterday I did HIIT and did 14 sprints instead of my usual 10. Go me! Feeling much more energetic this week.

Squat Day

Parallel Squat:

1x5x45

1x5x120

1x5x140

1x5x160

Oly Squat:

1x5x135

3x5x145 with heels elevated - way harder than feet flat on the ground, which I think is mostly due to actually hitting depth on these.

Lunges with 35 lb plate held overhead:

3x20 steps with each foot (40 total steps in each set)

I weighed in at 132 today.

Deadlift Day

Deadlift:

1x5x145

1x5x170

1x6x190

Rack Pulls: 3x3x225

The gym was closing, so I had to cut my training session short. I think I'm going to scrap Good Mornings because I think they're hurting more than they're helping. Maybe rack pulls and grip work are enough assistance anyway.

Oh duh, another idea for deadlift assistance...either lat pull downs or assisted wide grip pull-ups. I'll have to work those in on my next deadlift day.

Bench Day

Bench:

1x3x45

1x3x75

1x3x85

1x3x95

3x10x75

1x8x75

1x6x75

Bench with bands:

3x6x65

Push-Ups:

1x16

1x10

1x8

Assisted Pull-Ups

2x5

1x3

Squat Day

Parallel Squat:

1x3x45

1x3x135

1x3x150

1x3x170

A2G Squat:

1x3x135

3x3x155

I think I'll do these with my heels elevated from now on. Makes it harder, but I can feel that I'm about reaching depth now.

Lunges with 35 lb plate held overhead

3x20 steps total

Body Weight: 135

Deadlift Day

Deadlift:

1x3x135

1x3x160

1x3x180

1x5x205

Rack Pulls:

3x3x225

225 Deadlift, I'm coming for YOUUUUUUUUUU!!!

Farmer's Walks:

3 pleasant strolls with a 45 lb plate in each hand

Plate Pinches with two 5 lb plates pinched between each hand:

3 sets

I didn't manage to have any time left for wide grip pull-ups, so I didn't do them this time. Meh, maybe they're not really necessary for my deadlift gains anyway.

Beats me. I'm just a terrible bencher these days. My boyfriend says it's because I'm old, haha. I just turned 30 and he just turned 29, so he likes to tease me about it. Really though, I don't know what is going on with my bench. I'm still progressing in squats and deadlifts.

One thing I struggle with is taking in enough calories. At this point, I'm not really trying to gain strength that fast anymore since I already bought my wedding dress and we're getting married in December, so it would kind of suck if I got too big and strong to fit into it. Those things ain't cheap!

Deadlift Day

Deadlift:

1x5x135

1x5x170

1x3x190

1x1x215

Rack Pulls:

3x3x225

Assisted Wide Grip Pull-Ups:

2x8

1x6

Farmer's Walks:

3 pleasant strolls with 45 lb plates in each hand

Plate pinches with two 5 lb plates pinched between each hand:

3 sets

My bodyweight was down to 133 on this day. That's weird.