supplements

nwendt

i am new to this site. i searched i couldn't find any thing on this. so here it is i am new to the vegan diet, and i used to take a lot of supplements when i was eating meat, i know you all mostly take hemp protein and rice protein. i was just wondering what else you guys take if anything?

btw i had shoulder surgery 3 months ago and haven't taken any supplements in 4 months. i have never felt better or slept better in years!! i have been going to the gym doing cardio and lifting my legs hard for 2 months now and my DOMS seams to be a lot better than when i was eating meat and taking supplements!

The really essential supplements for your health, other than eating REAL FOOD, is Vitamin D2, B12, and probably DHA or EPA/DHA algal oil. A multivitamin is also good to cover your bases, but don't think there's some universal vegan vitamin deficiency it's trying to cover.

Most of the population at large has insufficient intake of Vitamin D (which isn't helped by recommendations to wear sunscreen for the 15 minutes a day people go to and from their cars).

B12 is needed because there's insufficient amounts in vegan food. It's produced by soil and gut bacteria and since we wash our produce, we no longer get it from food.

Recent research is conflicted on our abilities to convert ALA to EPA and DHA. Men in particular have a very low rate of DHA conversion. But this is all still poorly understood. At the very least, reduce the Omega-6 fats and increase the Omega-3 fats in your diet. Optimal ratios for conversion are often stated at 2.3:1 LA/ALA.

For athletic performance, johan has it right. EAA/BCAA, creatine, and beta-alanine. Protein powders are good to get in extra protein without the other calories that would come with whole food, but aren't strictly necessary. I like them because I can make more interesting meals (fruit smoothies, snack bars, etc) without trying to pack in a lot of protein-dense whole foods.