My Introduction

Dbo

My name is Dan, I've been a vegan for 5 months. I was inspired by the China Study, Thrive, and the documentary Earthlings to become a vegan. I'm 25, and have been lifting weights for about 7 years. My initial concerns with becoming a vegan were probably similar to most people who lift weights. I did not want to lose muscle mass. After reading Thrive, I was convinced that it was possible to gain muscle on a vegan diet. This has the added affect of not compromising my body by ingesting animal products. My current diet consists of 4 - 5 small meals per day.

1) vega performance pancakes or 2 scoops ultimate meal

2) big salad (romaine lettuce, ground flax seed, avocado, peppers, tahini, nutritional yeast, hemp oil and balsamic vinegar)

3) Two scoops vega

4) Either Quinoa pasta or Buckwheat soba noodles with beans, toasted sesame oil and nutritional yeast

5) A vega pizza.

I'm 5'11, 170 lbs.. and would like to get up to about 180.

Exercise routine:

Monday: Legs

- Squats (4 sets, reps between 4 and

- Leg extension (4 sets, 4 - 8 reps)

- Calf work

Tuesday: Chest/bis

- Incline DB Press (3 sets, 4 - Followed by:

- Barbell Curls

- Flat DB Press

- Flys

Thursday: Shoulders/Tris

- Dumbell Press

- Dips

- Lateral Raises

- Skullcrushers

- Shrugs

Friday: Back

- Pullups (4 sets until failure)

- Deadlifts (4 sets, 4 -

- One arm dumbell rows

Let me know what you think of my diet and exercise routine.. I took some time off from lifting, but have now been lifting hard for the past two months, and feel like I'm plateauing on some of my lifts.

• 3 months later...

The China Study is quite an eye-opener. I just received my Thrive Diet / Fitness books and can't read them fast enough. The best thing about the Thrive program is that Brendan's (and Robert's and everyone else's on this site) experiences are proof that the vegan diet works.