Peanut Protein Powder

cubby2112

Since I have such an obsession with whole, or damn near, food, I want to possibly change my protein powder to something less processed. Hemp protein is so expensive, that I don't use it. Right now, I either get soy protein from a local store when in a bind, or get a pea/rice combo from trueprotein.com. I've ordered defatted peanut flour from Byrd Mill before, and was quite satisfied with it. I've found it even cheaper from here:

http://www.southerngracefarms.net/peanutflour.html

Basically, it is superior to hemp, since peanuts have a better protein profile. And it comes out to just over $4/lb after shipping for northern Illinois. The kind they sell there is roasted just enough to eliminate the raw peanut flavor, so it is pretty bland and low in acrylamides and such. Works great in smoothies. I've tried heavy and light roast, and find light roast more versatile, because dark roasts are extremely strongly flavored. I think I am going to keep some of this on hand, as well as a little dark roast. I'd like to use it possibly as a baking flour. Talk about awesome peanut cookies.

Also, if you are into PB2, I recommend not buying it, and just buying dark roast peanut flour from byrdmill.com. They get their peanut flour from the same supplier as PB2, and it is way, way cheaper, and doesn't have sodium and sugar added, so you can either omit them, or add them in to your own tastes.

I plan on emailing trueprotein.com to try and get them to talk to the supplier of peanut flour, and possibly get them to stock the mechanically defatted flour, as well as the completely defatted flour (by use of some natural gases, similar to the processing of soy before it is turned into TVP). Then the price may be even better. Currently, there is no consumer source for the completely defatted flour. They are pretty good about stocking plant-based proteins there, so they may bite.

I think you got the wrong idea on peanut protein my friend

WARNING ANIMAL STUDY BELOW DON'T READ IF YOU'RE GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

Peanut protein reduces body protein mass and alters skeletal muscle contractile properties and lipid metabolism in rats.

It is well known that diets high in nuts or peanuts favourably affect plasma lipid concentrations. However, few studies have examined the effects of nut and peanut protein (PP) on body composition and skeletal muscle properties. The present study was aimed at evaluating the effect of dietary PP compared with two animal proteins, casein © and cod protein (CP) on body composition, skeletal muscle contractile properties and lipid metabolism in rats. Thirty-two male rats were assigned to one of the following four diets containing either C, CP, PP or C+peanut protein (CPP, 50:50) mixture. After 28 d of ad libitum feeding and after 12-h fast, blood, liver and muscle were collected for measurements of plasma and hepatic cholesterol and TAG, plasma glucose and insulin and contractile properties. Rats fed with the low-quality protein, PP, had lower body weight gain, body protein mass, soleus mass and liver weight than those fed with the high-quality dietary proteins, C and CP. PP also caused a deficit in contractile properties in soleus. Likewise, PP increased plasma cholesterol and body fat mass compared with CP. However, these elevations were accompanied with increased hepatic TAG concentrations and lowered intestinal fat excretion. These results show that PP intake alters body composition by reducing skeletal muscle mass and liver weight as well as muscle contractility and lipid metabolism. Adding a complete protein such as C might partially counteract these adverse effects.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20028600

Basically, it is superior to hemp, since peanuts have a better protein profile.
Peanuts do have a better protein profile than hemp, but they're both still horrible. PDCAAS is 0.52 and 0.46 respectively.

If you're going to bother with a protein powder, go for one that's balanced. I think 70% pea 30% rice is still the winner.

Cubby;

For someone how you put it "obsessed with whole foods" you sure have turned me onto some good ideas and protein powders over the years.

How do you find this stuf????

I think this might be at least worth a shot as an alternative to protein powder; from looking at the ingredients. I might give it a shot. Thanks again.

At one time, I heard a company was trying to make a quinoa protein. I wonder what ever happened to that.

Shit, I've never come across any study like that. I wonder what it is about peanut protein that causes it to do that? Though, it is an animal study, so it could be completely off base for humans. I don't want to risk it, though. There goes that, I guess. Have any studies against defatted sunflower meal? I've been trying to find a source for that for a couple years, but they all only sell to farmers for high protein animal feed. I do know some farmers, but the quality of the meal might be quite low.

I know the PDCAAS isn't great, but that isn't a huge concern for me. I eat so many legumes, that they balance out well with seeds/nuts/grains/pseudograins/weird shit like peanuts. Ideally, I could find some pumpkin seed meal, which I believe has a PDCAAS of 1. At least according to nutritiondata.com.

Overall, I just need to not worry about a little processed stuff.

*edit*

I should have read that abstract rather than skimming it. I thought they supplemented the diets with the different types of protein. It looks like those may have been administered as the only protein source. Seeing as rats generally have higher protein requirements, and that my diet would include lots of complementary proteins, this may not be an issue. This is probably the case, since the authors said the effects probably would not occur had the diet received a high quality protein with casein to complement the peanut protein. The same issue would arise had wheat or hemp protein been administered instead of peanut. I will have to check the journals I have access to and see if I can get the full text.

Edited by cubby2112

Cubby;

For someone how you put it "obsessed with whole foods" you sure have turned me onto some good ideas and protein powders over the years.

How do you find this stuf????

I think this might be at least worth a shot as an alternative to protein powder; from looking at the ingredients. I might give it a shot. Thanks again.

At one time, I heard a company was trying to make a quinoa protein. I wonder what ever happened to that.

Haha, I find this stuff because I use hit Google from every angle when I want to find something.

If you use the peanut flour and have good results, tell me. I need to investigate further after that study Johan posted.

Quinoa protein is still in the works. http://www.andeannaturals.com/AN/Welcome.html You can also find some patents for the process floating around if you search.

If you want to use peanut protein just make sure you use it together with some high quality protein like soy, buckwheat, quinoa etc. The problem with peanut protein is that it's "lacking" 2 essential amino acids and both are kinda hard to come by in the vegan world.

When I use a protein powder, it is usually combined with one pound of spinach (14 grams of high quality protein, which most don't realize), and a few ounces of kale. I could continue to use a bit of pea protein combined with the peanut flour. I don't know. I might just save the peanut flour idea to add on top of my protein powder consumption when I want to add in some more calories, rather than replacing the isolates with it. Right now, I am downing 240-250g of protein, with lower 3k calories coming in. 50g is coming from soy, rice or pea protein. My diet is over 90% whole foods, 1lb bag of beans and 1/2C soybeans, cooked, with 3lbs+ of veggies, mostly green, going down per day. So, using some isolates is a non-issue. I am basically experimenting, trying to somewhat simulate what most of the big, mostly whole food omni guys do, but on a vegan diet. With a lot more greens. ~30% PRO, 50% CHO and 20% FAT. Fat is a bit low.

Yeah, I've been a lower protein guy for a long time. I deviate between McDougall and Fuhrman's near alarmism over protein, my interpretations of research, and anecdotal evidence from people who have actually gotten big and strong. I really think this high protein diet is working for me, though. I look the leanest I ever have while on creatine.

Quinoa Protein Powder?

Forgive my ignorance, but as a complete protein, can't you just mill that stuff into a flour and then...you know...use it in protein shakes?

And you would also have to prepare it in some way since raw/unprocessed quinoa isn't very good for you.

So what is the 'best' vegan protein then, in terms of PDCAAS etc?

Soy, in the form of tempeh?

Or pumpkin seeds?

Maybe a manufactured protein powder?

Eric Carlson stated peanuts had the highest protein content per 100g according to his guide I bought online.

So what is the 'best' vegan protein then, in terms of PDCAAS etc?
In terms of a single source, yeah soy, black beans, and split peas are some good options. You don't really need to worry about that because the aminos tend to balance themself out as you eat throughout the day. My earlier argument was just that if you're going to bother with a refined mostly-protein supplement, you might as well choose a well balanced one.
Eric Carlson stated peanuts had the highest protein content per 100g according to his guide I bought online.
Yeah but that's misleading. 100g of peanut has 24g of protein but over 630 calories. Most other legumes have much lower fat content and are mostly water. 100g of black beans might only have 9g of protein, but it's also only 130 calories. The protein content of peanuts is actually pretty low per calorie compared to other legumes.

I have some natural PB that has as high as 29 grams of protein per 100 but even that is not comparable to the energy % from protein in normal legumes.

To measure a foods quality based only on protein content per 100 gram might be useful in some aspects but does not give a fair totalt picture, there is a lot of other variables to be considered.