How bad is it...

to lift weights first thing in the morning before eating? Is it counterproductive since you haven't yet fueled your body and muscles? Or is forcing you body to burn off fat while building muscles?

Other than the stomach growling/hunger thing, can you make muscle gains if you lift on a totally empty stomach?

The only thing I have discovered so far is that I hit the wall way sooner than if I've eaten. But if I eat first I end up feeling lethargic and not want to exert myself.

I can't do anything on an empty stomach. Even a brisk walk will drain me. It took me awhile to find the perfect morning fuel. Some ideas that work for me:

>protein shake made with soy milk & 1/2 banana

>protein shake made with oj & 1/2 banana

>green shake made with soy milk & 1/2 banana (green as in one of those green powder meals that you mix with liquid)

>handful of dried fruit mixed with raw nuts & a cup of coffee

I find if I have not properly fueled my body I am at risk for injuring myself, but if I overeat, like you, I feel lethartic. Experiment & find what works for you.

• 2 weeks later...

I fluctuate with this, actually. I've done well both ways.

I think eating heavy before is not good. Eating a small amount of a high carb (preferably a quick absorbing one, such as fruit) is best.

Right now, I'm not eating before, but I'm making sure to have a good recovery meal soon afterwards -- my green smoothies: see thread and pics HERE--and I include raw hemp protein sometimes in it and a large spoonful of maca.

• 3 weeks later...

At the other end of this story is where I am, where excercises are the very last thing I do before I go to bed. An empty stomach wouldn't be my problem, but I do my excercises after midnight sometimes. Can that be harmful or does it really not matter?