Anyone do 60-90 seconds reps versus number of reps?

9nines

Anyone not count reps but instead go by time. I had a trainer tell m to try to do reps for 90 seconds. Trying the timing (go really slow), I find at 60 seconds my muscle is pretty fatigued.

I am wondering if anyone does this?

Benefits? Good change of exercise routine sometimes?

i have never heard of that before. im not sure that it will be beneficial, seeing as you are only moving the weight once.

also, you are better off talking to people and getting advice online, on muscle boards (not just this one, but places like muscletalk.co.uk or fortifiediron.com) as trainers dont always know what they are talking about. that said, im not in a position to talk as im going to be one soon!

I tried it and for the first time it was effective but I quicly lost interest in it after that! I think I just like to be a brute and go heavy, I also had great results with one rep strength training but I got bored of just working out once a week! I think that I like to change my routines pretty regularly!

I've done that. It's great the first time or so. Huge pump! But really isn't that great in the long term. It's best to do the concentric as fast as possible. If you want to lower the weight slowly, doing so will increase hypertrophy although not necessarily strength.

Sorry, I did not explain it well.

It is not one rep for 60-90 seconds. Just slow reps, continuing for that many seconds. Still do about 8 to 12 reps but take them slow so that all last 60 to 90 seconds. When I do it, it burns after 35 to 40 seconds. The last 15 seconds or so is a strong burn till I can not do it any longer.

I was thinking it might be good as a change-up from traditional sets, every now and then. Probably fatigues the muscle differently so might add some variety to how the muscle grows.

Maybe faster more forceful reps will tear fast twist fiber then a last set this way might burn the rest of the muscle not fatigued yet.

its my opinion that if you experiment with a lot of differnet tempos, you are much more likely to injure yourself. most injuries actually occur during the negative portion of the rep. what you are really doing is screwing up your central nervous system and you will likely regress instead of pro-gress. think about changing the weight, reps, or sets before messing with the tempo.

one more thing, 99% of commercial gym trainers who think they are experts are in fact idiots. you'll find better info on the web if you do some searching.

im quite looking forward to being a gym instructor actually! i going to listen to all that crap about supersetting, isolation work, the dangers of doing free weights ( ) and then ignore it. ill get my certification, maybe lay low for a little while til im established, and then break out the big guns - strength training, free weights, vegan food all the way! obviously ill do this in a fashion that doesnt get me fired, but im kind of in a position to talk now as im pretty chunky, and by summer when i qualify im going to be so much bigger!!! ( at least 260lb)

im just really looking forward to things like:

...and today we are going to show you how to bench press, with an empty bar...and then ill just load up 220lbs and rep away.

....and today we are going to learn how to squat - no jonathan, not that deep, you'll die, noooooo!!!!!

hehehe!

jonathan

im quite looking forward to being a gym instructor actually! i going to listen to all that crap about supersetting, isolation work, the dangers of doing free weights ( ) and then ignore it. ill get my certification, maybe lay low for a little while til im established, and then break out the big guns - strength training, free weights, vegan food all the way! obviously ill do this in a fashion that doesnt get me fired, but im kind of in a position to talk now as im pretty chunky, and by summer when i qualify im going to be so much bigger!!! ( at least 260lb)

im just really looking forward to things like:

...and today we are going to show you how to bench press, with an empty bar...and then ill just load up 220lbs and rep away.

....and today we are going to learn how to squat - no jonathan, not that deep, you'll die, noooooo!!!!!

hehehe!

jonathan

ahaahahah thats the best